Subject: [Sip] B2BUA question.

From: "Padhye, Chinmay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:14:27 -0800

Hello,

	This is from the definition of B2BUA from RFC 3261 -

	'Since it is a concatenation of a UAC and UAS, no explicit definitions are needed for its behavior."
	
	Since the behavior of a B2BUA is the same as the behavior of a UAC/UAS, what was the need for defining a new logical entity - B2BUA? I am trying to understand the motivation behind adding this definition in the RFC.

Regards,

Chinmay
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Bert Culpepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:23:15 -0500

Hi,

I'll provide my opinion on why this term was included in RFC3261, other 
folks may provide different/better reasons.

The previous RFC defined UAC, UAS, Registar, Proxy, and Redirect Server 
logical entities.  As services (both legacy and new) were designed using 
SIP, it was determined that a combination of defined logical entities 
was needed to implement the services and still be compliant with the 
specification.  This particular combination became common enough that (I 
presume) the authors thought it should be mentioned in the new RFC, to 
avoid mis-interpretation.

Regards,
Bert

---

From: "Ranjit Kumar Avasarala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:30:18 +0530

Hi all

   I wanted to the know the status of draft draft-kristensen-sip-servlet and
what is the general industry opinion on SIP servlets.
Like how useful it will be to enable SIP Servlets talk to existing SIP
stacks ?

Thanks
Ranjit

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 06:47:15 -0500

We added the term to the spec since it was used so much in other places, 
we wanted to have a concrete definition so people wouldn't be confused.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Anders Kristensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 09:17:33 -0500

>    I wanted to the know the status of draft draft-kristensen-sip-servlet and

It's very much out of date. The API is being standardized within the JCP 
and is just about completed. You can find the latest draft at

   http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=116

Thanks,
Anders