Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: DHCPv6 Options for SIP Servers to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:24:45 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'DHCPv6 Options for SIP 
Servers' <draft-ietf-sip-dhcpv6-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard. This 
document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott 
Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
      This draft specifies two DHCPv6 options that allows SIP clients
      to locate a local SIP server that is to be used for all outbound SIP
      requests, a so-called outbound proxy server. SIP clients MAY contact
      the address identified in the SIP URL directly, without involving a
      local SIP server. However in some circumstances, such as particularly
      when a firewall is present, SIP clients need to use a local server
      for outbound requests. The SIP DHCPv6 option (for use in IPv6
      environments) is one of many possible solutions for locating the
      outbound SIP server; manual configuration is an example of another.

      This document defines two DHCPv6 options that describe a local
      outbound SIP proxy: one carries a list of domain names, the other
      a list of 128-bit (binary) IPv6 addresses.

      Like the DHCPv4 option for this function (currently in the RFC
      Editor's queue), the SIP DHCPv6 option uses RFC 1035 encoding
      (Section 3.1 of RFC 1035), after careful review of the design
      by the DHCP working group and the Internet Area Directors.

Working Group Summary
 
    The working group supported advancement of this specification.
 
Protocol Quality
 
    The document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.
    During IETF Last Call, it was noted that the consequences
    of a rogue DHCP server might be quite serious for SIP clients.
    RFC 3118 provides a means for mutual authentication
    between a DHCP client and server, and there is a plan for
    development of a specification for clients to authenticate
    their servers without the mutual authentication requirement.
    This document inherits the Security Considerations of the
    DHCPv6 specification (to be announced at the same time as
    this). In addition, the SIP RFC (draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-09.txt),
    currently in the RFC Editor queue, advises SIP clients to
    authenticate servers they use, by careful checking of the server
    certificate provided by use of a TLS connection for the client-to-
    server communication.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip