Subject: [Sip] Unicode in Response codes.

From: Cyrus Shaoul <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 00:14:22 -0500

Dear SIP list members,

I am new to SIP, and I wanted to confirm one thing:
In RFC 3261, Section 7, it is stated that:

	"SIP is a text-based protocol and uses the UTF-8 charset." 

Also, there is a discussion of using UTF-8 in descriptive text in
section 25.1

	Reason-Phrase   =  *(reserved / unreserved / escaped
                   / UTF8-NONASCII / UTF8-CONT / SP / HTAB)

My question: Hypothetically, if the  Accept-Language (sec 20.3) header
was set for Japanese in a request by an entity, it could put Japanese
UTF-8 text in a reason phrase and still be in compliance with the RFC.
What if a server couldn't satisfy the language preferences of the client
(ex: client prefers only Japanese, server only supports English)? In
that case the UA will not be able to create a localized experience for
the user. 
If a UA went on to display localized (translated) messages in the user
interface based on the response code (i.e. from a set of translations of
all the messages in RFC 3261 section 25), and not display the originial
English text in the SIP response, would that cause any problems? 

Again, this is all hypothetical for now, but I am trying to think about
internationalization issues after hearing a discussion about them in
another WG today at IETF 55.

Thanks, 

Cyrus
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:27:41 -0800 (PST)

A reasonable implementation option would be to 
localize based on the response code and not based
on the reason phrase. But this is a good thing
to document somewhere. There was discussion on
having an I-D for i18n topics and SIP. I don't know
the status of this, but this would be a good item
to add to that draft.

Regards,
Sean

--- Cyrus Shaoul <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Sip mailing list 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site
http://webhosting.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Cyrus Shaoul <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:23:22 -0500

Sean, 

Is this the draft you were thinking of?

draft-fujimoto-sipping-header-lang-00.txt

I will take a look at it. Does this mean that this kind of issue is
under the SIPPING charter, not the SIP charter? 

Thank you,

Cyrus

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 21:27:41 -0800 (PST)
Sean Olson <[email-masked]> wrote:

seancolson> A reasonable implementation option would be to 
seancolson> localize based on the response code and not based
seancolson> on the reason phrase. But this is a good thing
seancolson> to document somewhere. There was discussion on
seancolson> having an I-D for i18n topics and SIP. I don't know
seancolson> the status of this, but this would be a good item
seancolson> to add to that draft.
seancolson> 
seancolson> Regards,
seancolson> Sean
seancolson> 
seancolson> 
seancolson> --- Cyrus Shaoul <[email-masked]> wrote:
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > Dear SIP list members,
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > I am new to SIP, and I wanted to confirm one thing:
seancolson> > In RFC 3261, Section 7, it is stated that:
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > 	"SIP is a text-based protocol and uses the UTF-8
seancolson> > charset." 
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > Also, there is a discussion of using UTF-8 in
seancolson> > descriptive text in
seancolson> > section 25.1
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > 	Reason-Phrase   =  *(reserved / unreserved /
seancolson> > escaped
seancolson> >                    / UTF8-NONASCII / UTF8-CONT / SP
seancolson> > / HTAB)
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > My question: Hypothetically, if the  Accept-Language
seancolson> > (sec 20.3) header
seancolson> > was set for Japanese in a request by an entity, it
seancolson> > could put Japanese
seancolson> > UTF-8 text in a reason phrase and still be in
seancolson> > compliance with the RFC.
seancolson> > What if a server couldn't satisfy the language
seancolson> > preferences of the client
seancolson> > (ex: client prefers only Japanese, server only
seancolson> > supports English)? In
seancolson> > that case the UA will not be able to create a
seancolson> > localized experience for
seancolson> > the user. 
seancolson> > If a UA went on to display localized (translated)
seancolson> > messages in the user
seancolson> > interface based on the response code (i.e. from a
seancolson> > set of translations of
seancolson> > all the messages in RFC 3261 section 25), and not
seancolson> > display the originial
seancolson> > English text in the SIP response, would that cause
seancolson> > any problems? 
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > Again, this is all hypothetical for now, but I am
seancolson> > trying to think about
seancolson> > internationalization issues after hearing a
seancolson> > discussion about them in
seancolson> > another WG today at IETF 55.
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > Thanks, 
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > Cyrus
seancolson> > [email-masked]
seancolson> > 
seancolson> > _______________________________________________
seancolson> > Sip mailing list 
seancolson> > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
seancolson> > This list is for NEW development of the core SIP
seancolson> > Protocol
seancolson> > Use [email-masked] for questions
seancolson> > on current sip
seancolson> > Use [email-masked] for new developments on the
seancolson> > application of sip
seancolson> 
seancolson> 
seancolson> __________________________________________________
seancolson> Do you Yahoo!?
seancolson> Yahoo! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your site
seancolson> http://webhosting.yahoo.com
seancolson> _______________________________________________
seancolson> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
seancolson> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
seancolson> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
seancolson> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Shingo Fujimoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:44:32 +0900

I have posted the summary of discussion on Oct 16.

And now, I am working on new drafts (requirement and proposal I-D).

Since IETF meeting is on going, I am planning to finish and post it in 
December.

If you have any new requirements regarding UTF8 headers, I will put them 
in new draft.

If you could not find my post, please let me know then I will send it to 
you privately.

Best.

-- 
======================================
          SHINGO FUJIMOTO
     FUJITSU LABORATORIES LIMITED
E-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:42:39 -0500

> If you have any new requirements regarding UTF8 headers, I will put them 

Cyrus' comment does introduce a new requirement - to handle language 
tagging in the reason phrase. To date we had only considered headers.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com