Subject: [Sip] LDAP servers and SIP Authentication

From: "Avshalom Houri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 16:22:20 +0200

Since basic authentication has been deprecated from SIP and LDAP servers 
do not
support a uniform way for querying passwords. It seems that there is a 
problem with
using SIP with LDAP server as a directory.

For example, some LDAP servers return the user's password hashed (using 
MD5 or SHA
or something else) but we cannot compare this with the hashed password 
from the client,
even if the same hashing algorithm was used, because LDAP returns only the 
password
hashed, while the client-supplied hash includes more info in the digest. 
The only way we
can do this is by getting the password cleartext from LDAP, and do our own 
digest, but most
LDAP servers do not allow that, not even for the directory admin.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Avshalom