Subject: [Sip] resource reservation

From: Mukul Purohit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:30:25 +0530

hi,
I have a basic question after going through RFC 3312, "Integration of 
Resource Management and SIP".

Has the actual resource reservation mechanism been specified (mandated 
or suggested) by IETF?
Also, has it been specified by any other body like 3GPP which has chosen 
SIP for signaling?

Hope to get some quick replies. And if these queries are out of scope of 
this list, then a pointer to proper place will be appriciated.

regards
Mukul

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:37:18 -0500

> Has the actual resource reservation mechanism been specified (mandated 

There is no mandatory resource reservation scheme. The primary one 
specified so far is RSVP. nsis is another one under development. Groups 
like packetcable have specified their own QoS protocols.

> Also, has it been specified by any other body like 3GPP which has chosen 

Yes, 3gpp has its own mechanisms that are specific to 3gpp. As I 
understand they are built into the GPRS procedures, and reservation 
occurs only on the wireless link.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com