Subject: [Sip] Re: B2BUA draft proposal

From: Hal Purdy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:45:21 -0500

> This thread is, hopefully reaching an end (with an agreement to
> do some examples with call flows).  However, the above statement
> is yet one more example of the confusion people have with B2BUA.

A group of us have been contemplating writing an informational
draft in sipping that would provide examples with call flows among other 
things.
We floated this idea with several people at the recent IETF meeting.

In particular, while recognizing that little can be said about the 
behavior of the most
general form of B2BUA, it seems possible to classify different kinds 
(sub-classes)
of B2BUAs and then take a stab at specifying "suggested" behavior for 
these sub-classes
by means of call flows. To be clear, we recognize that any 
"specification" of behavior
of any sort of B2BUA would not be normative and would perhaps ultimately
take the form of a BCP.

Thinking to start things simply, we considered looking at the case of a
"transparent" B2BUA with a UAC on one side and a UAS on the other. While 
not
functionally interesting, this case would provide a baseline of
behavior to serve as a launching point for more interesting B2BUAs types.
Following an examination of the "transparent" B2BUA, we would hopefully 
move
on to looking at a B2BUA that serves as a firewall gateway.

Naturally, my colleagues and I welcome feedback on this proposal.

I don't know if it's appropriate to move any discussion of this proposal 
to the
sipping list since it seems to belong there. I'm happy to follow the 
group consensus
regarding where the discussion should be held.

Hal Purdy

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 18:37:59 -0800

Sounds good - I look forward to seeing it - and since this will not change
the behavior of SIP but just show some ways to use it, I think the sipping
list would be the place to discuss it.

Cullen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Hal
> Purdy
> Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:45 PM
> To: SIP Mailng List
> Subject: [Sip] Re: B2BUA draft proposal
>
>