Subject: [Sip] question

From: Manuel Moreno Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:38:59 +0200

Please

I want to clarify me in relation to the following affirmation that
appears in the page 125 of RFC 3261

"The INVITE transaction is different from those of other methods
   because of its extended duration.  Normally, human input is required
   in order to respond to an INVITE.  The long delays expected for
   sending a response argue for a three-way handshake.  On the other
   hand, requests of other methods are expected to complete rapidly.
   Because of the non-INVITE transaction's reliance on a two-way
   handshake, TUs SHOULD respond immediately to non-INVITE requests."

Then,

"The long delays expected for
   sending a response argue for a three-way handshake "

only for this the "three-way handshake"???

Aren´t there others reasons??

Thank you

Manuel

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Nataraju A.B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:48:03 +0530

The coments inline.

Regards,
-Nataraju A.B.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Manuel Moreno Martín 
  To: Sip 
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 2:08 PM
  Subject: [Sip] question

  Please

  Then,

  [Nataraju A.B.] The other reasons are : we can always expect the user intervension need much more time than automatic response. the other tranactions normally does not need the human intervension. 

  Then need for 3-way handshake could be because the 200 response constitutes the 2nd half part the dilaog component(To-tag). where as for the mid-dialog transactions 2-way handshake is enough (3-way handshake not required, because teh dlg is already established)

  Thank you

  Manuel

---

From: Prasanna Venkatesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 19:55:04 +0800

The three way handshake is also required as the 200 for the INVITE message
(as of 3261) requires to carry the media information.  If there is no
acknowledgement for the 200, then the callee terminal has to depend on other
mechanisms like media sensing to remove the media binding what it has done.
Cheers,
Prasanna
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Nataraju
A.B.
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 5:18 PM
  To: Manuel Moreno Martín; Sip
  Subject: Re: [Sip] question

  The coments inline.

  Regards,
  -Nataraju A.B.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Manuel Moreno Martín
    To: Sip
    Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 2:08 PM
    Subject: [Sip] question

    Please

    Then,

    [Nataraju A.B.] The other reasons are : we can always expect the user
intervension need much more time than automatic response. the other
tranactions normally does not need the human intervension.

    Then need for 3-way handshake could be because the 200 response
constitutes the 2nd half part the dilaog component(To-tag). where as for the
mid-dialog transactions 2-way handshake is enough (3-way handshake not
required, because teh dlg is already established)

    Thank you

    Manuel