Subject: RE: [Sip] SCTP and TLS

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:28:37 -0600

Cullen Jennings [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

> transport=tls was deprecated in a SIPS uri (because it is 
> redundant there)
> but I don't believe it was deprecated in a SIP uri.

I think the intention was to deprecate it everywhere, not just
in sips: URIs. To emphasize the final sentence of the passage
I quoted (regarding deprecation of the "transport=tls"
indication):

  "This is a change since RFC 2543."

Since the "sips:" scheme is not defined in 2543, it seems a
bit of a stretch to call this deprecation a change unless it
applies at least to "sip:" URIs.

If you find 3261 less than coherent on this topic, there
is a perfectly reasonable explanation, best summarized as:

  "We apologise for the fault in the hop-by-hop security model.
   Those responsible have been sacked, and hop-by-hop security
   has been completed in an entirely different style at great
   expense at the last minute."

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:03:48 -0600

;transport=tls was utterly deprecated.

This was done quickly, and it missed the case that somebody
wanted to specify using tls for just the next hop by putting
something in the URI.

All we have available for that now is DNS SRV which operates
at the whole-host level, not the individual resource level.

I see this as an unnecessary shortcoming.

RjS