Subject: [Sip] Text well covered in : I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:10:29 +0100

It is good to see the text medium listed among other media in the
callee-caps specification.
The spec provides an opportunity to declare capabilities for the real time
conversational media
of video, text and audio to be known at SIP registry time.

I hope this will stimulate to smart applications, invoking transcoding
services when needed, selecting the proper terminal among a group of called
ones on the same address etc.

I also hope that other editors and authors will remember to include real
time conversational text as a natural component in other specs for SIP based
real time services. It is so important that this medium is included from the
beginning, and not introduced as a cumbersome afterthought as happened too
many times before.

Thanks

Gunnar Hellström
-------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor AB
Renathvägen 2
SE 121 37 Johanneshov
SWEDEN
+46 8 556 002 03
Mob: +46 708 204 288
www.omnitor.se
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 3:03 PM
To: IETF-Announce:
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group
of the IETF.

	Title		: Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt
	Pages		: 45
	Date		: 2004-1-6

This specification defines mechanisms by which a Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP) user agent can convey its capabilities and
characteristics to other user agents. These capabilities are conveyed
as parameters of the Contact header field.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

  This specification defines mechanisms by which a Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) user agent can convey its capabilities and
   characteristics to other user agents and to the registrar for its
   domain. This information is conveyed as parameters of the Contact
   header field.  It may be used by a proxy for call routing. The parameter
   design is based on RFC 2506, media feature tags.  The specification
   creates a SIP tree registry parallel to the IETF tree registry from
   RFC 2506.  The syntax of the parameters is based on RFC 2533.

   Strong considerations regarding the privacy and data
   integrity of the information are discussed by the document.

Working Group Summary

   The working group took a lot of care and review developing this design.
    There was a mid-course design review from an Applications area
    standpoint that resulted in the advice to work with the RFC 2533,
    2506 approach, which has proved to be very constructive.  The WG
    supported the advancement strongly, after thorough review.

Protocol Quality

   The document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.  The
    Applications mid-course reviews were by Patrik Faltstrom and Ted
    Hardie.

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:38:34 +0100

Maybe it is a good idea to hold a small presentation reminding everybody at
the IETF that real time conversational text is a natural component like
video and audio.

Which WG would be the best?

I am open to suggestions.

Drs. Arnoud A. T. van Wijk 
Viataal 
Research & Development 
Afdeling RDS 
Theerestraat 42 
5271 GD Sint-Michielsgestel 
The Netherlands. 
Mobile: +31651921948 
International text telephone: +31735588408 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Gunnar Hellstrom
Sent: donderdag 8 januari 2004 0:10
To: Jonathan Rosenberg; Toip list
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Text well covered in : I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt

Thanks

Gunnar Hellström

-----Original Message-----

	Title		: Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session
Initiation
Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt
	Pages		: 45
	Date		: 2004-1-6

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

Technical Summary

Working Group Summary

Protocol Quality

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip