Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 13:17:31 -0500

The IESG has approved following document:

- 'Indicating User Agent Capabilities in the Session Initiation Protocol 
(SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-callee-caps-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

  This specification defines mechanisms by which a Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) user agent can convey its capabilities and
   characteristics to other user agents and to the registrar for its
   domain. This information is conveyed as parameters of the Contact
   header field.  It may be used by a proxy for call routing. The parameter
   design is based on RFC 2506, media feature tags.  The specification
   creates a SIP tree registry parallel to the IETF tree registry from
   RFC 2506.  The syntax of the parameters is based on RFC 2533.

   Strong considerations regarding the privacy and data
   integrity of the information are discussed by the document.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The working group took a lot of care and review developing this design.
    There was a mid-course design review from an Applications area
    standpoint that resulted in the advice to work with the RFC 2533,
    2506 approach, which has proved to be very constructive.  The WG
    supported the advancement strongly, after thorough review.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   The document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.  The
    Applications mid-course reviews were by Patrik Faltstrom and Ted
    Hardie.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip