Subject: [Sip] Emergency Calls with SIP?

From: Rene Bartsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 17:43:45 +0100

Hi,

currently I'm faced with the problem of emergency calls.

As you need to gather the location of the caller to connect to the nearest 
emergency center when 911, 110, 112, ... is dialed, SIP needs some way for 
determining location.

My idea is to store a location-tag (e.g. address or GPS-data) in the 
SIP-phone, which is transmitted to the SIP-provider in case an emergency 
number is dialed.
That way the SIP-provider can determine the appropriate emergency center by 
country and zip/area code transmitting three addresses to the emergency 
center:

location, SIP-account holder and IP.

With location you can send help directly (e.g. ambulance). In case of wrong 
location or misuse you can investigate the caller by account-holder address 
and IP.

Are there any RFCs or Drafts for a emergency-call use-case with SIP?

Rene Bartsch

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 16:22:55 -0500

Henning Schulrinne wrote a number of relevant drafts.  The topic of 
connection from a SIP phone to a legacy emergency call centre was 
explored in draft-taylor-sipping-emerg-scen-01.txt, which also gives the 
references to Henning's drafts.

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:00:14 -0600

At 04:22 PM 1/4/2004 -0500, Tom Taylor wrote:
>connection from a SIP phone to a legacy emergency call centre was explored 
>in draft-taylor-sipping-emerg-scen-01.txt, which also gives the references 
>to Henning's drafts.

see:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-sipping-location-requirements-01.txt

containing a scenario just like I read yours below.

Comments are appreciated

A new version of the above ID will be generated before the Seoul meeting.

BTW - the SIPPING mailing list has had a few threads recently on this ID.

>>As you need to gather the location of the caller to connect to the 
>>nearest emergency center when 911, 110, 112, ... is dialed, SIP needs 
>>some way for determining location.
>>That way the SIP-provider can determine the appropriate emergency center 
>>by country and zip/area code transmitting three addresses to the 
>>emergency center:
>>With location you can send help directly (e.g. ambulance). In case of 
>>wrong location or misuse you can investigate the caller by account-holder 
>>address and IP.

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented