Subject: [Sip] GRUU Issue 4 (last one): Reusable grid?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:24:44 -0500

The GRID URI parameter, defined by the GRUU spec, has some nice 
properties associated with it. Perhaps most valuable is that it survives 
proxy translations. This makes it a URI parameter that is automatically 
passed from the UAC to UAS. In that regard, it can be used as a form of 
"sub-addressing" - a means to identify a sub-instance within the UA 
instance pointed to by the GRUU proper.

One comment that was made at some point is that the grid parameter, as a 
result of these properties, would be generally useful for SIP URIs, and 
should therefore not be bound to the GRUU. The proposal was to 
"generecize" it.

My response to that was:

  1. It is already generecized, in that its a valid URI parameter,
  2. It only makes sense in URIs that have the GRUU property. Without 
that, the grid would need to be interpreted across different UA 
instances, and thus it loses the sub-addressing property, which only 
makes sense within a particular UA instance
  3. You can get a GRUU through non-register mechanisms

As such, my proposal is to keep things as they are.

Any objections?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Orit Levin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:37:27 -0800

I am OK with keeping the GRID as is.

Orit. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Rosenberg
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 4:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] GRUU Issue 4 (last one): Reusable grid?

My response to that was:

Any objections?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:12:36 -0000

Seems sensible.

Chris.

>From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: 13 March 2004 00:25
>To: [email-masked]

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com