Subject: [Sip] Registrying parameter values

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:46:35 +0200

Folks,

during the SIP session, we got clear guidance from Allison that creating 
a new registry for parameter values would be unacceptable.
Still, there is an easy way to, at least, register the references to 
those new values. The idea is that the registry of parameters contains 
the reference to the RFC defining the parameter *and* to any RFC 
extending the values that the parameter admits.

For example, if I define a new compression scheme called "Mycompression" 
  to be used as an alternative to SigComp (comp=sigcomg vs. 
comp=mycompression) in RFCxxxx, the registry would look like:

       Header Field                   Parameter Name     Reference
       ____________________________________________________________
        Via                            comp               RFC 3486
                                                          RFC xxxx

This way, we would not register the values themselves, but would provide 
references to all the relevant specs so that implementers could avoid 
collisions anyway.

Does anybody have a problem with this? This requires a *mininal* change 
to the existing definition of the parameter registry.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Niemi Aki (Nokia-M/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 13:38:29 +0200

I'm OK with this approach.

Cheers,
Aki

ext Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> This communication is confidential and intended solely for the 
> addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution 
> is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in 
> error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and 
> delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.
> 
> E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, 
> interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only 
> send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any 
> such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any 
> consequences thereof.
>