Subject: [Sip] UAC handling 4xx responses

From: "Frank W. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:45:17 -0500

RFC 3261 states:

In all of the above cases, the request is retried by creating a new
   request with the appropriate modifications.  This new request
   constitutes a new transaction and SHOULD have the same value of the
   Call-ID, To, and From of the previous request, but the CSeq should
   contain a new sequence number that is one higher than the previous.

With other 4xx responses, including those yet to be defined, a retry
   may or may not be possible depending on the method and the use case.

I'm wondering why this is necessary?  Its definitely easier from an 
implementation point of view to just pick a new Call-ID, tags and CSeq 
that have nothing to do with the previous request.  There will 
presumably be an ACK sent back that finishes the transaction, so why 
even bother with trying to do this?  Is it that the UAC presumably has 
all the necessary info just sitting around so why not do it?

Curious...

FM

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip