Subject: [Sip] Session-Expires and Min-SE values

From: "John Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:42:48 +0000

Hi,

Section 7.1 in draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-14.txt says:
"If a Min-SE header is included in the initial session refresh request, the 
value of the Session-Expires MUST be equal to the value in Min-SE."

I have the following questions:
(1) What is purpose of this rule?

(2) A quotation from Section 9 is: " If the UAS wishes to accept the 
request, it copies the value of the Session-Expires header field from the 
request into the 2xx response. The UAS response MAY reduce its value, but 
MUST NOT set it to a duration lower than the value in the Min-SE header 
field in the request..."  - How can it be possible if the Session-Expires 
MUST be equal to the value in Min-SE? The UAS would never be able to reduce 
the Session-Expires value.

(3) Down below section 9 says: "The UAS MUST NOT increase the value of the 
Session-Expires header field." Regarding the top most quotation we can 
assume that the UAS will always respond with the same value in 
Session-Expires and Min-SE headers. Will the Session-Expires and Min-SE 
values ever differ? If they won't, maybe one of them is redundant...

Thanks in advance,
John.

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip