Subject: Re: [Sip] Re: Abstraction: SIP instance identifiers requirements

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:20:27 -0600

Cullen Jennings wrote:
> This just pushes the problem around but does not solve it. When both the
> phone boot, how do they know if they registers with the exposure set to east
> or west? We need something that makes one phone different from the other
> phone and configuration does not really help much because when the phones
> first boot they have no configuration.

Personally, I solve this by giving each phone a different registration 
AOR, then use a time-policy routing table on [email-masked] to 
selectively route to the correct phone for the current time of day.

Service invocation via forward knowledge at the proxy. Works like magic. 
It even supports voice mail.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:21:41 -0500

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> 
>> 4) Selection of a specific instance in an initial request: We have a 
>> request that we wish to reach one specific instance of a contact 
>> associated with an AoR.
> 
> My proposal of using a callee capabilities parameter for instance ID
> would accomplish that. However, I am not sure that its really useful, to
> be honest. How would the caller know the instance ID ahead of time? Any
> kind of mechanism that can transfer the instance ID could transfer the
> GRUU instead, and a GRUU will be much, much, much better.

Well, since we have said that GRUUs may not be stable over long periods 
of time, there may be value in using callerprefs with instance id when 
setting up a relationship that is supposed to be essentially permanent.

This then becomes a form of static configuration of relationships.

I agree this may be a bit of a stretch. But it is a nice side effect.

	Paul