Subject: RE: [Sip] changes in session timer

From: "Asher Shiratzky" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 17:59:50 +0300

Jonathan,

Still the latest session-timer draft you mention does not appears in the
relevant places. What is the formal status of the 14th version?

Thanks,
Asher Shiratzky

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Rosenberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 7:45 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] changes in session timer

Folks,

I submitted a revision of the session timer, based on comments received 
from IESG and subsequent list discussion. For some reason, this 
submission was not processed by the I-D editor (I'm working to correct 
that). In the mean time, you can pick it up at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-14.txt

There are a few significant changes:

* Formerly, if a session refresh timed out, the UA waited until 1/3 of 
the session interval remained before sending a BYE. This contradicts 
RFC3261 which basically says to send a BYE immediately. Session timer 
now references that behavior.

* There is now an absolute minimum session timer of 90 seconds. This is 
basically enough time for completion of a SIP BYE transaction after half

of the session has expired. The Min-SE header field now has a default 
value of 90 seconds when not present. This will preclude usage of 
session timer for really fine grained refreshes, say on the order of 5 
to 10 seconds. I fear that some people may be trying to do some kind of 
nat traversal or something with session timer - this would rule that out

formally (it was never the intended usage).

* The default for session-expires, when not present, used to be 
"infinity". However, thats not really right. Really, it means 
"undefined", and session expiration is then up to local policy of the 
proxy. Using infinity would mean that a proxy could never clean up
state.

Please comment ASAP if you have any problems with these changes. We'd 
like to get session timer moving along.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip