Subject: [Sip] SIP Forward, Who pays the bill ?

From: Diego B <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:41:38 +0200

Hi;
My question is regarding billing a forwarded sip call.

Lets take the exmple from draft-ietf-sipping-service-examples
2.7

Alice calls Bob, and Bob has all his incomming calls forwarded to the PSTN.

Let say that calls from ALice to Bob in the same domain are free (same 
office, or same ITSP), but calls to the PSTN are not free.

Who pays for Alice call to Bob ??
In a normal situacion, Alice knows that the call is for free becuase she 
is calling Bob's sip number. But the gateweay may create CDR from the 
 From header of the SIP message and at the end of the month Alice may 
have to pay for the call.

I see this kind of examples in several other drafts/RFC related to SIP 
services and call forward.

I belive forward is a very important feature, but this issue may be 
resolved. The question is if it is a standard way to make Bob pays for 
the second leg of the call like in PSTN forward.

Maybe changing the From header where applicable and adding a new one to 
"remember" that the call is from, in my example, Alice.

The diversion header (Diversion Indication in SIP 
draft-levy-sip-diversion-07.txt)" may be a solution if the PSTN gateway 
or the SIP Billing server support it and knows that they have to bill 
the sip-uri in the diversion header ( this is right ??? ).

Regards;

-- 
Diego B
MailVision Ltd.
Tel.  : +972-4-8500505 ext 13
e-mail: [email-masked]
web   : http://www.mailvision.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Baruch Sterman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:22:50 -0400

In the systems that we implemented, two cdrs are created: the first for
the incoming leg (Alice to Bob's non-forwarded location) and a second
for the forward to Bob's forwarded location.

Alice would pay for the first leg, and Bob pays for the second.

Furthermore, it may be the case that Bob pays for the first leg as well.
If, for example, Bob has a toll free number where he pays per minute
charges for the inbound leg (in this case, Alice is on the PSTN). 

Either way, multiple CDRs is the way we came up with to handle this.
Care has to be taken that the key to any CDR database is NOT the
call-ID, because this is the same across the two CDRs.

Baruch

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Diego
B
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:42 AM
To: [email-masked]; sipping
Cc: Cullen Jennings
Subject: [Sip] SIP Forward, Who pays the bill ?

Hi;

Alice calls Bob, and Bob has all his incomming calls forwarded to the
PSTN.

Regards;

---

From: Diego B <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:14:09 +0200

Hi Baruch;
Thanks for your answer.
I belive that you are implementing a proprietary solution to deal with it.
I'm looking more to a standarize way to deal with the second-leg issue.

I'm agree that Alice has to pay for the first leg and Bob for the 
second, but if the Proxy that is doing the forward is not a biling 
entity ( local calls are free, outbound call are not free and billed by 
an external real-time billing system connected to the GW using RADIUS or 
similar), the PSTN gateway will have to know that this call may be 
billed to Bob and not to Alice ( she apears in the From header ).

Thanks

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:54:45 +0300

> the sip-uri in the diversion header ( this is right ??? ).

yes, your proxy can use diversion header or remote-party-id header to
make the forwarder to pay for the second leg.

-- juha