Subject: [Sip] GRUU issue 1: no instance ID

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:31:23 -0400

I received a private request for a feature addition to gruu which 
requires discussion.

The request was that it be possible for the gruu mechanism to work 
without instance IDs. In such a case, the gruu would be bound to the 
registered contact for the duration of its registration. This is 
identical to the way gruu worked in previous revisions of the draft.

I am reluctant to have two separate mechanisms in the gruu 
specification. However, there is a way to achieve this effect. The 
approach is to have the client provide an isntance ID, but instead of 
using a long-lived instance ID for the UA, the instance ID equals the 
contact URI. If the client does this, the gruu will have the property of 
routing to that particular contact, and be defined for the duration that 
the contact is registered. Such an approach requires that the phone 
generate unique Contacts. A large random number will do, I *think*.

Do people think its worth adding text to describe this option for 
creating an instance ID?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip