Subject: [Sip] Update to draft-ietf-sip-guidelines

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:03:37 -0500

Folks,

I've just submitted an update to draft-ietf-sip-guidelines based on 
comments received from IESG during their review.

Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-guidelines-09.txt

The following are the main changes to the document:

* extensions MUST NOT only function if SIP and media paths are
coupled;  P-headers are needed in such cases.

* defining compact forms is a MAY if the header is expected to be
heavily used, and only if they are over 6
characters (previously, it was four). A definition is given for
"heavily used". Sigcomp is mentioned as a reason why this is not so
important.

* previously, the draft said that header field names had to be
composed of ascii characters and marks. This is actually wrong. Its
been changed to: Header field names are defined by the
"token" production in RFC 3261 Section 25.1, and thus include the
upper and lowercase letters, the digits 0 through 9, the HYPHEN-MINUS
(-), FULL STOP (.), EXCLAMATION MARK (!), PERCENT SIGN (%), ASTERISK
(*), LOW LINE (_), PLUS SIGN (+), GRAVE ACCENT (`), APOSTROPHE ('),
and TILDE (~)

* clarified the definition of "large bodies" - several times the
ethernet MTU

* added a paragraph discussing interactions between signaling and
media security

* header field extensions that include URI have to be explicit about
which URI schemes can be used

* added registration of URI parameters and header field parameters to
section on IANA considerations for extensions

* the section on writing iana cosniderations metnions whether or not
the extension has to be standards track or not to register a
particular parameter type (header, option tag, event package, etc.)

* RFC 2393 reference updated to RFC 3173

* informational reference added to draft-iab-model. The section on
writing overviews also mentions that you should expand acronyms and
write this for non-experts in sip

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip