Subject: [Sip] Query on SIPS/SIP URI with 'Transport=TLS'

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:21:44 +0530

Hi

I have a basic doubt on formation of record route header
If there is a request received by proxy which has the topmost route header
with SIP URI and 'transport=tls' and the request URI also has the
 SIP URI (without the 'transport=tls' parameter), then should the proxy
insert a sips record-route header while forwarding the message to the
callee, or should ti insert a sip URI with a 'transport=tls' parameter?

A justification for inserting a sips record-route could be that since the
transport=tls is deprecated, hence proxy always inserts a sips
record-route.
Is there any reason why the proxy should not insert a sips record-route but
instead use a sip uri with a transport parameter just becuase the Route
header is of this latter form?

The RFC does not seem to mention anything about this specific case.
Following are the two references mentioned in RFC 3261
But which of them apply for this special case?

As per the RFC section 16.6 bullet 4 of RFC 3261,

Reference 1 :
If the Request-URI contains a SIPS URI, or the topmost Route header
field value (after the post processing of bullet 6) contains a SIPS URI,
the URI placed into the Record-Route header field MUST be a SIPS URI.

Reference 2:
In a similar fashion, a proxy that receives a request
over TLS, but generates a request without a SIPS URI in the
Request-URI or topmost Route header field value (after the post
processing of bullet 6), MUST insert a Record-Route header field that is
not a SIPS URI.

According to above mentioned section,if Request-URI or topmost Route header
field value have non SIPS URI, then record route should have non SIPS
URI.However RFC does not talk about the case where topmost route header has
non SIPS URI and 'transport=TLS".

I request others to provide their valuable opinion on this issue.

thanks and regards
Seema

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************

***********************  FSS-Private   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software Systems
Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this
message in  error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for loss or
damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip