Subject: [Sip] Mobility support using SIP

From: Richard Good <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:16:34 +0200

Hi,

I am very new to SIP and have some basic questions regarding mobility 
support.  I have read that the two main mobility protocols at the moment 
are SIP and MIP.  I am doing an undergraduate thesis (3 months) on the 
topic of vertical handovers between UMTS and WLAN networks.  Questions:
1) Is it feasible/possible to use SIP to support mobility and perform 
handovers between these networks (Also given that I only have 3 months)?
2) SIP is an application layer protocol, does this mean that I only have 
to implement it at the end node.  i.e:  Do i need more than a laptop 
equipped with WiFi card and UMTS datacard?
3) I have found several implementations of MIP on the net (mainly for 
linux platforms), do such implementations exist for SIP?

thanks very much for your help,
Richard

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip