Subject: [Sip] A question on non provision message scenario

From: "Xiga Kuang \(xikuang\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:54:03 +0800

Hi all,
   I may ask the old question, just a quick one, is that ok for sip Eps
behavior to set up one way voice path even it didn't get the 200 0k
message from calling side ? I mean , suppose  the provision message 1xx
had not been received by calling side due to some detectable issue.  

A ---invite with SDP-->B
   <---1xx but not receivid--B
 
         one way voice path ?
A.<==========-====== B picked up and say "hello"

So what happened on A side would be after he dialed the number and then
after a silent without ring, he just hears from the "hello" from the
other side ? 

Thanks in advance.

..
B.R
Xenor

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:06:46 -0400

Yes, in fact it is required in RFC 3264:

  Once the offerer has sent the offer, it MUST be prepared to receive
    media for any recvonly streams described by that offer.  It MUST be
    prepared to send and receive media for any sendrecv streams in the
    offer, and send media for any sendonly streams in the offer (of
    course, it cannot actually send until the peer provides an answer
    with the needed address and port information).  In the case of RTP,
    even though it may receive media before the answer arrives, it will
    not be able to send RTCP receiver reports until the answer arrives.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Director, Service Provider VoIP Architecture   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com