Subject: RE: [Sip] Re: sip-target-dialog-01

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:44:42 -0400

> Cullen Jennings wrote:
>
> > Right now, most implementations I have
> > seen are using pseudo random (not crypto random) numbers for things like
to
> > and from tags. If they support this mechanism, then they need to start
using
> > crypto random. This may be a little hard for large GWs as they don't
have
> > many sources of randomness (such as disk drives etc) and they have to
> > produce lots of these numbers. I think it should be possible given that
they
> > do have lots of somewhat random network events.

Deriving a large number of high-quality random numbers from a limited source
of randomness isn't as hard as it seems.  There are a number of known ways
to do this.  The concept is that a crypto function is used to disguise a
series of pseudo-random numbers that is initialized from a truly random
source.  RFC 1750 gives some pointers.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip