Subject: [Sip] Issue with draft-ietf-sip-refer-with-norefersub-03

From: "Andrew Allen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:09:08 -0400

Orit

Orit I have an issue with the last paragraph in section 4 of the current
draft.

   The "norefersub" tag, when included in the Require header field

   (always in conjunction with the "Refer-Sub" header field set to

   "false"), specifies that the REFER-Recipient MUST process a REFER

   transaction without establishing an implicit subscription.  In this

   case, if the REFER-Recipient either doesn't support the extension or

   is not willing to grant the request, the REFER request MUST be

   rejected by sending "420 Bad Extension" response back to the REFER-

   Issuer.

I have not been following discussions on the draft closely but I assume
that the reason why the Refer-sub header was added to the draft was
because the semantics for the use of Require header are not to require a
particular behavior other than to require that the UAS support the
extension(s) identified by the option tags in order to accept the
request containing the Require header.  The above text from section 4
conflicts with my understanding of the text in RFC 3261 regarding the
use of the Require header and also seems to conflict with the definition
of the Refer-sub header in the draft since it would be quite valid to
send a Refer request with Require norefersub and Refer-sub True. A UAC
may require that the UAS support the extension for later requests on
that dialog without requesting Refer-sub False for that specific Refer
(possibly it may need to use Refer-sub True) for a later Refer request.

I would propose that the text is either deleted or modified to:

   The "norefersub" tag, when included in the Require header field, 

   specifies that the REFER-Recipient MUST support the extension or

   the REFER request MUST be rejected by sending "420 Bad Extension" 

   response back to the REFER-Issuer.

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip