Subject: [Sip] Re: Sip-implementors Digest, Vol 31, Issue 14

From: Roman Shpount <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Oct 2005 20:41:41 GMT

John,

You wrote:

> RFC 3264 does indeed tell you to do that. In section 5.1 it states:
> "If the offerer wishes to communicate, but wishes to neither send nor 
> receive media at this time, it MUST mark the stream with an "a=inactive" 
> attribute." 

> The problem is, this appears to be contradicted elsewhere. 

The problem is in RFC 3264 section 8.4. It states:
"If the stream to be placed on hold was previously a sendrecv media
stream, it is placed on hold by marking it as sendonly." This sentence
is more often false then true and should not be considered normative.

I think the original intent of this text was to say that that SDP with 
c=0.0.0.0 corresponds to sendonly SDP and not inactive SDP. Since
SDP with c=0.0.0.0 used to be called hold SDP, sending an offer with such 
SDP was normally called putting on hold. Hence the confusion.

In generall, it would be a good idea to remove mentioning of term hold from
RFC 3264. Also, correspondence between SDP with c=0.0.0.0 and sendonly SDP
should be spelled out. This should not change anything in the meaning
of the RFC, but hopefully will end the hold confusion.
___________________________________
Roman Shpount, VP of Technology
aTelo, Inc. -- www.atelo.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 08:51:47 -0400

Roman,

While I agree that 3264 could do with some cleanup, I doubt it will 
happen any time soon.

	Paul

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:13:02 -0400

Even if it does not happen soon for RFC3264, we can make sure that 
SIPForum can include this as a part of requirements document for SIP user 
agent...because anyway it is specfying hold behaviour for user agents.

Regards,
Udit

Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/06/2005 08:51 AM

To
Roman Shpount <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked], Chris Whitaker <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]
Subject
Re: [Sip] Re: Sip-implementors Digest, Vol 31, Issue 14

Roman,

Paul