Subject: [Sip] Re: [Sip-implementors] Re: Sip-implementors Digest, Vol 31, Issue 14

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:12:41 -0400

Agreed!

Roman Shpount <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/05/2005 04:41 PM

To
<[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], Udit Goyal/C/US/3Com@3Com
Subject
[Sip-implementors] Re: Sip-implementors Digest, Vol 31, Issue 14

John,

You wrote:

> RFC 3264 does indeed tell you to do that. In section 5.1 it states:
> "If the offerer wishes to communicate, but wishes to neither send nor
> receive media at this time, it MUST mark the stream with an "a=inactive"
> attribute."

> The problem is, this appears to be contradicted elsewhere.

The problem is in RFC 3264 section 8.4. It states:
"If the stream to be placed on hold was previously a sendrecv media
stream, it is placed on hold by marking it as sendonly." This sentence
is more often false then true and should not be considered normative.

I think the original intent of this text was to say that that SDP with
c=0.0.0.0 corresponds to sendonly SDP and not inactive SDP. Since
SDP with c=0.0.0.0 used to be called hold SDP, sending an offer with such
SDP was normally called putting on hold. Hence the confusion.

In generall, it would be a good idea to remove mentioning of term hold 
from
RFC 3264. Also, correspondence between SDP with c=0.0.0.0 and sendonly SDP
should be spelled out. This should not change anything in the meaning
of the RFC, but hopefully will end the hold confusion.
___________________________________
Roman Shpount, VP of Technology
aTelo, Inc. -- www.atelo.com

_______________________________________________
Sip-implementors mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/sip-implementors
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip