Subject: [Sip] RE: [Sip-implementors] Hold SDP

From: "Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 14:23:15 +0800

Udit

You can use c=IN IP4 0.0.0.0 to indicate hold in addition to a-sendonly.

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 10:42 PM
To: SIP Implementors
Cc: SIP IETF
Subject: [Sip-implementors] Hold SDP

Hi,

As per RFC 3264, user agent indicate hold by sending "sendonly attribute
(assuming sendrecv mode stream).
So when UAS receives this SDP, it should respond with "recvonly" 
attribute.

But same mechanism can be used by user agent if he wants to play
announcement or music to user, so it can send "sendonly" attribute for
media stream.
I mean if it simply wants one-way connection (this is not hold).

For 3PCC (as B2B), if it wants to provide MOH service, how can it
differentiate between two SDP because it will play MOH only in the first
scenario when user press hold.

Is there any other way where user agent can indicate that this is hold
scenario and not one-way audio.

Thanks,
Udit
_______________________________________________
Sip-implementors mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/sip-implementors

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:52:51 -0400

I want to know is it the genral behaviour of all UAC?

because as per RFC, c=0 has not been recommended for RTCP purposes,
anyway in these cases, we might need RTCP reports also,

Why cant we have one more attribute "a=hold" which indicates its meant for 
hold and not for one-way media audio stream,

Thanks,
Udit

"Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
10/04/2005 02:23 AM

To
Udit Goyal/C/US/3Com@3Com, "SIP Implementors" 
<[email-masked]>
cc
SIP IETF <[email-masked]>
Subject
RE: [Sip-implementors] Hold SDP

Udit

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

Thanks,
Udit

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 10:08:17 -0400

> I want to know is it the genral behaviour of all UAC?

There are a lot of UAs out there. Its hard to say what the "general" 
behavior is.

> anyway in these cases, we might need RTCP reports also,

The use of c=0 is an old (now deprecated) action in response to a 
request to initiate hold. The mechanism still exists, and is still 
important for some call flows unrelated to hold. There is of course 
nothing to prevent a UA from using it when initiating Hold, and the peer 
should do something reasonable in response.

> hold and not for one-way media audio stream,

I think mostly because hold is a feature, and IETF doesn't standardize 
features. The existing directionality attributes are mechanisms that may 
be used for hold or other things.

If you introduced a hold attribute, then there would be a lot of call to 
have different flavors of hold - one way, two way, with music, without 
music, etc. And of course you would need to get into the precise 
semantics of hold.

As things stand, Hold is a local feature on an endpoint. The 
corresponding signaling should not really be considered as signaling 
"hold" - it is only signaling the desired media behavior. I think there 
is no expectation, or need, for the other UA, or servers in the path to 
be able to determine that the call is "held".

	Paul