Subject: RE: [Sip] MESSAGE method

From: "Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:17:38 +0800

Hi

If u use MESSAGE method, then there is no need to establish session with
INVITE. But if u use MSRP which is session based IM, then u need to
establish session with INVITE prior to using MSRP. 

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Suganya
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] MESSAGE method

Hi all,

I am extending the SIP stack I have implemented in accordance with RFC
3261.

I need to add support for Instant Messaging. I am following RFC 3428 Do
I need to establish a session with INVITE for sending Instant Messages?

RFC 3428 does not talk about it.

draft-rosenberg-simple-im-transport-00.txt has an example of sending
MESSAGE method.

It first sends an INVITE with an sdp body containing m=message
987654321(session id) IMTP/TCP text/plain.

After receiving 200 OK, it sends MESSAGE method. The call-id in INVITE
and MESSAGE method is not matching in this example.

What I interpret is, in order to know that the target supports Instant
Messaging, INVITE is sent. Otherwise INVITE is not necessary and MESSAGE
can be sent directly.

Am I correct?

Regards,
B.Suganya

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip