Subject: [Sip] Re:Hold SDP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:40:53 -0400

----- Forwarded by Udit Goyal/C/US/3Com on 10/05/2005 11:30 AM -----

Udit Goyal/C/US/3Com
10/05/2005 11:32 AM

To
Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
cc
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], Chris 
Whitaker <[email-masked]>
Subject
Re: [Sip] Re: [Sip-implementors] Hold SDP

As per RFC 3264

8.4 Putting a Unicast Media Stream on Hold
If a party in a call wants to put the other party “on hold”, i.e., request 
that it temporarily stops sending one
or more unicast media streams, a party offers the other an updated SDP.

[Udit] I agree.

If the stream to be placed on hold was previously a sendrecv media stream, 
it is placed on hold by marking
it as sendonly. If the stream to be placed on hold was previously a 
recvonly media stream, it is placed on
hold by marking it inactive.

>>[Udit] As pointed out by Chris, it should speak the truth.. If user 
agent  wants to play media for hold, it can mark it as
>>sendonly otherwise it can mark it an inactive.

Typically, when a user “presses” hold, the agent will generate an offer 
with all streams in the SDP indicating
a direction of sendonly, and it will also locally mute, so that no media 
is sent to the far end, and no media is
played out.

[Udit] If user agent is doing locally mute and no media is sent to farend, 
then why it should send it as sendonly. It should send as inactive.
Although they are non-normative statments, but still it can be rephrased 
because agent should not mark it sendonly when it specifially says that no 
media needs to be played out.

It can rather specified as user agent behaviour if it wants media t obe 
played , it can mark it a sendnly, or if it wants to stop sending meding 
media streams, it can mark it as inactive.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip