Subject: RE: [Sip] Alert-Info Idea (was Re: Commenton draft-willis-sip-an sweralert-01)

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:29:27 +0100

Paul,

> In my mind, a *semantic* URN representing an alert would be 
> something like:
> - normal alert
> - emergency alert
> - distintive alert N
> 
> Then the receiving device would have complete freedom to 
> render whatever 
> it thinks is suitable to achieve that semantic. Most likely devices 
> would be provisionable with a suitable value.
> 
> There is no implication that the alert would be audio. It might be 
> rendered using a "ringer" on a phone with traditional form factor, by 
> playing a tune on a device with a speaker, by a flashing light on a 
> device for a deaf user, and by a popup window on the screen of a PC 
> running a softphone with audio disabled. Or it could be a 
> combination of 
> things.

I quite like the idea of a "semantic" URN, and certainly if provided by the
caller anything more than a "semantic" indication would be inappropriate
(you probably don't want UK alert patterns when I call you). I would be
curious to know more about the sort of values that a "semantic" URN would
take. From your list above I can see that "emergency alert" might be useful,
and "normal alert" for all non-special cases. But "distinctive alert N" does
not really convey any semantics.

John

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:21:13 -0400

> not really convey any semantics.

I didn't put a lot of thought into that list. It is worth discussion.

What I had in mind are things that have semantics corresponding to 
"features", such as the Telcordia ones, or the similar ones being worked 
on for TISPAN. Any feature that causes alerting could have a 
corresponding "semantic URN".

"distinctive alert N" could perhaps have a better name, but I had in 
mind alignment with the traditional distinctive alerting feature. The 
idea would be that some agent working for the callee classifies incoming 
calls into one of several buckets, where each bucket is intended to 
receive a different kind of alerting. But the particular alert 
corresponding to each is left up to independent device provisioning. 
This just gives some "extra" names for buckets that don't have widely 
understood semantic intent - where the semantics are determined by 
someone doing provisioning for an individual AOR, who is not in a 
position to define new URN values.

In some environments this would not be needed. When configuring such an 
agent for the callee, one might instead assign to the bucket an A-I URN 
or URL that identifies a specific rendering. Which to do depends on the 
capabilities of the system and the UAs.

	Paul