Subject: [Sip] MESSAGE method

From: Suganya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:43:10 +0530

Hi all,

I am extending the SIP stack I have implemented in accordance with RFC
3261.

I need to add support for Instant Messaging. I am following RFC 3428 Do
I need to establish a session with INVITE for sending Instant Messages?

RFC 3428 does not talk about it.

draft-rosenberg-simple-im-transport-00.txt has an example of sending
MESSAGE method.

It first sends an INVITE with an sdp body containing m=message
987654321(session id) IMTP/TCP text/plain.

After receiving 200 OK, it sends MESSAGE method. The call-id in INVITE
and MESSAGE method is not matching in this example.

What I interpret is, in order to know that the target supports Instant
Messaging, INVITE is sent. Otherwise INVITE is not necessary and MESSAGE
can be sent directly.

Am I correct?

Regards,
B.Suganya

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip