Subject: [Sip] Codec negotiation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 02:37:56 -0400

Hi,

As per RFC 3264, mode "inactive" ca nbe used for codec negoitation,

Consider the scenario where there is a call established between A and B 
using codec 1,

If A sends Re-invite with media line having direction as "inactive" and 
codec as 0 and 2

What should be the behaviour of B?

If it sends answer with codec 0 and 2 and mode as "inactive" (assume it 
supports codec 0 and 2),
will it indicate that it had only answer the negoitated codec 
and A and B are still talking using codec 0? 

OR

there is no media between A and B now, if A wants, it can make it active 
by another offer with the answer codec and "sendrecv" direction?

Regards,
Udit

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 08:55:09 -0400

> and A and B are still talking using codec 0? 

This is clearly wrong. The offer/answer has succeeded, and the direction 
is "inactive", so this has superceded the previous agreement.

> by another offer with the answer codec and "sendrecv" direction?

This must be the interpretation.

	Paul