Subject: [Sip] Solutions to NAT: STUN

From: Álvaro Canivell García de Paredes<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:20:45 +0100

I have the following scenario (using a "customized" SIPCOMMUNICATOR and 
JAINSIPPRESENCEPROXY, from JAIN):

* a SIP server in a public IP address
* two SIP clients in a local network (accessing internet through a 
gateway - called 'A' from now on)

The requests from clients to server find their way through the server 
(naturally).
The requests from the server to the clients do not find their way to the 
clients.(naturally, unfortunatelly ;) )

So I am testing STUN in my clients. I get the public IP address from the 
client, which allows me to write in the contact and via headersof my 
requests, the  public IP address that gives my client access to internet.
In that way, the server will send subsequent request to the client, to 
that public address (to the gateway A).
My question is: How does that request (from server to client) find its 
way "FROM the gateway A, TO the client in the local network"? Does STUN 
give any help in this process?

Thanks

Álvaro

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Fatih "Eyüp" NAR <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:46:33 -0800 (PST)

depends on your NAT and it's configuration but
basically two things to attention ;
1-private address&port binding against public ip &
port
2-keeping the binding alive by periodically.
in case your NAT is symetrical and/or  both clients
are in same private domain you will face STUN is not
enough for you , check-out ICE which Mr.Rosenberg
freezed lately :-)

--- Álvaro Canivell García de Paredes
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Sip mailing list 
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Álvaro Canivell García de Paredes<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 14:50:36 +0100

Hi there!

>1-private address&port binding against public ip &
My clients have private addresses, and the server, a public address. 
(besides, no dynamic IP)

>enough for you , check-out ICE which Mr.Rosenberg
In my scenario, both clients are either in the same private LAN 
sometimes, or one in a private LAN and another having a public address.
I am not sure about the NAT type that I have (clients in the LAN access 
the public IP through 2 routers, a SMC router, and a coyote linux 
Software router).

I 'll simply give STUN a try and analyze what happens.

Thanks.

Álvaro