Subject: [Sip] Question on SIP Torture test message

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 12:18:15 +0530

Hi,
 
In the first version "SIP Torture test messages draft "
(http://www.iptel.org/info/players/ietf/callflows/draft-ietf-sipping-tor
ture-tests-00.txt
<http://www.iptel.org/info/players/ietf/callflows/draft-ietf-sipping-tor
ture-tests-00.txt> ), there was a test case "2.15 INVITE with Invalid
Via and Contact Headers" and for this test case, the expected behavior
stated was " The server should respond with a Bad Request error." 
 
Later I found that, this particular test case is missing in the latest
versions of the draft (from 01 to latest, this test case is missing).
On analysing the test message, this is what I inferred :
 
" When we have parsing errors in the VIA header field, we do not send
any error response back because we need the values from the VIA header
to send the response back for that request as according to the RFC, so
in this case we are not able to send any response back. The possible
solutions that we could have is to send the response back using CONTACT
header value or we could send it back from the IP address it came from,
but both these methods can have serious side effects on the intermediate
proxies in certain cases.So, it is better to ignore the INVITE message
with invalid Via or contact header fields rather than sending Bad
request error. " 
 
I want to know, whether my inference on this test case is correct? Also,
other than this, is there any particular reason for removal of this test
case in the later versions? 
 
Regards,
Andal.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip