Subject: [Sip] RFC 3261: Setting the expiration interval by Registrar?

From: Mohsen Soroushnejad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:44:14 -0800

Can Registrar accepts a REGISTER request (send 200 OK) and set the
expiration interval
to a value greater than one requested in the REGISTER?
The text in RFC 3261 (Section 10.3) (snippet below) is not explicit on on
this question.
It indicates that Registrar MAY reject a REGISTER request with 423 response
code
(if the conditions mentioned are met). Does it mean that it is also allowed
to accept
the REGISTER and set the expiration interval to a value greater than
requested?

>From RFC 3261 (Section 10.3):
The registrar MAY choose an expiration less than the requested
         expiration interval.  If and only if the requested expiration
         interval is greater than zero AND smaller than one hour AND
         less than a registrar-configured minimum, the registrar MAY
         reject the registration with a response of 423 (Interval Too
         Brief).  This response MUST contain a Min-Expires header field
         that states the minimum expiration interval the registrar is
         willing to honor.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:54:46 -0500

> to a value greater than one requested in the REGISTER?

No.

> The text in RFC 3261 (Section 10.3) (snippet below) is not explicit on
> on this question.

RFC 3261 says that the registrar may choose an expiration less than the
requested expiration interval.  It does not say that the registrar may
choose an expiration more than the requested expiration interval.

Dale

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:58:13 -0500

No.

> It indicates that Registrar MAY reject a REGISTER request with 423 
> response code
> (if the conditions mentioned are met). Does it mean that it is also 
> allowed to accept

No. There may be reasons why the client wants its registration to expire 
in a short time. Its better to play it safe by making the client do 
something active to keep its registration, rather than doing something 
active to remove it.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com