Subject: RE: [Sip] Re: [Sipping] Thoughts on the Principle of Dividing andConquering

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:36:05 -0600

I think Vijay's suggestion of a directorate approach is a good idea (the
names, I think are a bad idea).  As others have suggested making
separate WGs doesn't really solve the problem that there's just lots of
work in this area.  The directorate approach should help offload the WG
chairs. 

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Vijay K. Gurbani [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 8:46 AM
To: Dean Willis
Cc: [email-masked] List; Sipping List
Subject: [Sip] Re: [Sipping] Thoughts on the Principle of Dividing
andConquering

Dean Willis wrote:
> I've been working on SIP and SIPPING and P2P-SIP agendas this week,
and 
> that started me thinking.
[...]

Others have commented about the pros and cons of this approach, so
I won't go into that.  Instead, I have a different proposal.  How
about doing something like what the RTG area and the SEC area have done,
namely, establishing a directorate and in this directorate, put in
the core people who would be responsible for vetting I-Ds on various
aspects of SIP.  We are doing this to a great degree anyway, right
now.  Every I-D gets scrutiny by a core group of people who provide
helpful comments.  Why not make this arrangement more formal and
have someone from the directorate work with a I-D authors to get it
to completion in a short time?

Informally, we can divide the directorate into folks responsible
for SIPEM, SIPNEW, SIPREQ, and SIPUSE.  Each sub-area in the
directorate will ensure that the I-Ds assigned to the core group
of people there get finished on time.

And, just for fun, if we do end up breaking into baby SIPs, how
about name changes:

> What if we had the following groups:
> 
> 1) SIPEM  -- SIP Extended Maintenance

SPEM?

> 2) SIPNEW -- New major functionality for SIP

SINEW?

> 3) SIPREQ -- Analysis of requirements raised by new applications or
SDO 
> liaison

SHREK (yea, it's a stretch).

> 4) SIPUSE -- Using SIP to meet specific application requirements

SPOUSE?

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, Inc.
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip