Subject: [Sip] sip-identity-06's compressed archive file

From: Joël Repiquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:01:47 +0100

The compressed archive file in sip-identity-06 appendix B (examples) cannot be recovered. This is a known problem that has been pointed out in the datatracker log. It is mentioned that it will be fixed just before the RFC publication.

However, would it be possible to get the corrected base-64 encoded block now?

By the way, on page 17, 'atlanta.example.org' is to be replaced by 'atlanta.example.com'.

Thanks

Joël

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 02:51:22 -0600

> By the way, on page 17, 'atlanta.example.org' is to be replaced by  

I think there's a mixup that stems from page 16, which says:

"   A user of atlanta.example.com, Alice, wants to send an INVITE to
    [email-masked].  She therefore creates the following INVITE
    request, which she forwards to the atlanta.example.org proxy server
    that instantiates the authentication service role:"

If I'm reading the text right, the nodes involved are  
"atlanta.example.com" and "biloxi.example.org". But the above text  
introduces "atlanta.example.org", which is also used in the examples  
on page 17. This is either an error, or more subtle than I can grasp.

Personally, I find the domains "example.com" and "example.org" to be  
hard to differentiate. Perhaps in this sort of context,  
"atlanta.example" and "biloxi.example" would be more useful.

Incidentally, if folks are curious about example.com and example.org  
and other alternatives, this comes from RFC 2606, which says::

    To safely satisfy these needs, four domain names are reserved as
    listed and described below.

                    .test
                 .example
                 .invalid
               .localhost

       ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
       related code.

       ".example" is recommended for use in documentation or as  
examples.

       ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
       names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
       glance are invalid.

       The ".localhost" TLD has traditionally been statically defined in
       host DNS implementations as having an A record pointing to the
       loop back IP address and is reserved for such use.  Any other use
       would conflict with widely deployed code which assumes this use.

3. Reserved Example Second Level Domain Names

    The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) also currently has  
the
    following second level domain names reserved which can be used as
    examples.

         example.com
         example.net
         example.org