Subject: [Sip] sip over T/TCP

From: Thejeswara Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:15:44 +0000 (GMT)

hai,
  can SIP used over T/TCP ?
  >>>>>>>as T/TCP  has advatageous over TCP and UDP
  is there any limitations ?
  
  thanks
  theja

---------------------------------
 Jiyo cricket on Yahoo! India cricket
Yahoo! Messenger Mobile Stay in touch with your buddies all the time.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:44:20 -0600

> is there any limitations ?

I'm not aware of any fundamental reason it wouldn't work, but I'm not  
aware of any work documenting the details. We have documented usage  
with TCP, UDP, and SCTP.

A T/TCP binding would make a good senior or master's project, I  
think. Given the limited deployment of T/TCP, it would probably be  
out of scope for this working group, or the SIPPING working group.

--
Dean

---

From: Joerg Ott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:15:59 +0200

It may not actually be something you'd want to get involved with
after discouraging the use of UDP.  To quote
draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-roadmap-05 [p.18]

    RFC 1644 E "T/TCP -- TCP Extensions for Transactions Functional
    Specification" (July 1994) - found defective

       The inventors of TCP believed that cached connection state could
       have been used to eliminate TCP's 3-way handshake, to support two-
       packet request/response exchanges.  RFCs 1379 [RFC1379] and 1644
       [RFC1644] show that this is far from simple.  Furthermore, T/TCP
       floundered on the ease of denial-of-service attacks that can
       result.  One idea pioneered by T/TCP lives on in RFC 2140, in the
       sharing of state across connections.

Maybe a master project can study if and/or how bad this is for SIP.

Joerg

> A T/TCP binding would make a good senior or master's project, I  think. 
> Given the limited deployment of T/TCP, it would probably be  out of 
> scope for this working group, or the SIPPING working group.
> 
> -- 
> Dean
>

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:50:28 -0800

See
http://www.postel.org/pipermail/end2end-interest/2005-December/005552.html

-d

> ________________________________
> 
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/mailcricket/*http://in.sports.
> yahoo.com/cricket/> 
> Yahoo! Messenger Mobile 
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/in/mailmobilemessenger/*http://in
.mobile.yahoo.com/new/messenger/>  Stay in touch with your buddies all the
time.