Subject: RE: [Sip] Myth Busters: Episode 1, Is STUN request processing fasterthan a SIP PING requestprocessing?

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:29:06 -0600

It's my mistake regarding the term.

Gernally, Edge Proxies are implemented as B2BUA and they interpet
requests. 

Thx
Samir

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 1:18 PM
To: Srivastava, Samir [SC100:8826:EXCH]
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg; Michael Procter; [email-masked]; Bharrat, Shaun;
Alan Duric; Dusan Stevanovic
Subject: RE: [Sip] Myth Busters: Episode 1,Is STUN request processing
fasterthan a SIP PING requestprocessing?

Samir Srivastava writes:

 > May I ask, how many proxies are there which authenticate
unimplemented  > Methods ? 

proxies' job is to route requests, not interpret them.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:23:11 -0500

So are you saying that this mechanism will only work for b2bua? I think 
that is a real problem.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:54:07 -0600

> Gernally, Edge Proxies are implemented as B2BUA and they interpet

Not in any model reasonably compliant with RFC 3261, including to my  
knowledge the normal behavior of P-CSCF in IMS (which may transition  
to a B2BUA in certain error-recovery cases).

B2BUAs are not extension-method transparent. Proxies are. That's a  
key aspect of the SIP methodology, intended to decouple the message- 
routing infrastructure from the actual application. If you have to  
recode your proxies for every new application, you might as well use  
a Class-4 switch.

--
Dean