Subject: RE: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-outbound-03.txt

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:34:20 +0100

Hi Juha,

You are probably always going to use the same AoR for your registrations
request, but that still doesn't mean you will use the same outbound
proxies. 

Maybe when your phone is "statically located" you are always going to
use the same outbound proxy. But, what about mobility? Is that out of
the scope of this?

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 24. maaliskuuta 2006 10:04
To: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-outbound-03.txt 

Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) writes:

 > But, are you going to do the DNS lookup based on the AoR value of the
> terminal (the value you normally put in the From header)? What if
there  > are different outbound proxies depending on the destination? 

i don't understand how register requests would have many destinations.

what comes to other (initial) requests, the default would be that the UA
sends them to the proxies in THE outbound-proxy-set (if specified).  if
your world is more complex, you can always provide any kind of other
(manual) configuration possibilities.

so what i'm trying to say that ietf must define DNS based
auto-configuration of outbound-proxy-set for the COMMON case, where
there is a single outbound-proxy-set that is used for all destinations.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:45:14 +0200

> use the same outbound proxy. But, what about mobility? Is that out of

yes, it is out of the scope of the COMMON case.  the common case is that
the sip ua is free, no matter where it is currently located, to use the
same set of outbound proxies, i.e., the ones of own domain.

if sip ua is behind a firewall that blocks outbound sip traffic or in
some kind of 3gpp walled garden, where you want to milk the cow many
times, then you can provide any other configuration methods.

-- juha