Subject: [Sip] Overload control per protocol or an over load protocol

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:39:51 -0000

All

The draft-rosenberg-sipping-overload-reqs-00.txt proposes the
requirement for fixing the SIP overload mechanisms, which even if
accepted only fixes part of the problem of a overloaded server.  This is
because the server may not be overloaded just because of SIP sessions,
it is just as likely that a server would go into overload because of its
processing a number of different protocols all of which may be unaware
of each other. 

Would a solution to this problem is to scope and define a single
protocol that could interact with all the entities/nodes/proxies/servers
etc. that are directly connected to the overloaded server so they back
off from sending messages to the overloaded server. 

This work is currently being underway in ETSI TISPAN called GOCAP which
can be found at
http://portal.etsi.org/docbox/TISPAN/Open/NGN%20LATEST%20DRAFTS/02026v00
6.pdf and this will give the latest draft of the work ongoing in TISPAN
to define the architect and requirements for a overload protocol. 

To me it makes no sense to have many different solutions to this problem
and I would like to know if there are people out there who would be
interested in progressing this type of work both in the IETF and in the
TISPAN community.

Regards

Steve Norreys
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip