Subject: RE: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-outbound-03.txt

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:12:10 +0100

Hi Juha,

Maybe I am missing the point, but please clarify the following thing.

You say that you don't want to mandate the outbound proxy to be
configured.

You say that you want to use DNS.

Now, if you want to use DNS, what are you going to do your DNS lookup
on?

If you do the DNS lookup based on the Request-URI, what is there to
standardize? Isn't that normal SIP routing behavior?

If you do the DNS lookup on something else, don't you need to configure
that?

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 24. maaliskuuta 2006 7:38
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sip-outbound-03.txt 

outbound version 03 still doesn't address auto-discovery of the
outbound-proxy-set.  as i have said in before, the specification is in
practise useless and should not be published as an RFC unless there is a
standard (preferably DNS based way) to do so.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:25:53 +0200

> Now, if you want to use DNS, what are you going to do your DNS lookup

you didn't obviously read my earlier message on this.  in that i said,
that it must be enough to configure three thing in the UA:  username,
password and AoR.  the lookup of outbound-proxy-set is done based on
host part of AoR.

-- juha