Subject: RE: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:28:15 +0200

Hi,

As has been said before, I don't think the precondition mechanism mandates the usage of PRACK for offer/answer.

Regards,

Christer

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:44:13 +0200

Hi !

> As has been said before, I don't think the precondition 
> mechanism mandates the usage of PRACK for offer/answer.

I agree with you. But this far it has been possible and
there are implementations using that option, for specific
reasons. I did not intend to tell more than that and still
think it was relevant input for this discussion.

Thanks,

Erkki 

>-----Original Message-----
>From: ext Christer Holmberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 14.March.2006 23:28
>To: Koivusalo Erkki (Nokia-TP-MSW/Helsinki); 
>[email-masked]; [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK
>
>Hi,
>
>As has been said before, I don't think the precondition 
>mechanism mandates the usage of PRACK for offer/answer.
>
>Regards,
>
>Christer
>
>

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:55:29 +0200

> think it was relevant input for this discussion.

my suggestion is that PRACK is deprecated and if mobile vendors still
need it, they can solve the problems on 3gpp mailing lists.

-- juha

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:28:56 +0200

Hi,

I do not agree it would be great to make sure that the
mobile SIP applications would never be able to interoperate
with those applications running in desktop PCs. 

I see signs towards other kind of direction (fixed IP network
operators planning to provide access towards 3G IMS, some PC
vendors planning to add SIM card support to laptops etc.) So
that is why I hope solutions could be found that satisfy the
needs of Internet as a whole, including the way how 3G networks
are aiming to provide the access to it.

In 3GPP they have tried to do their specifications so that
the applications would be compliant to Internet world based
on IETF specifications, so that e.g. multimedia sharing would
be possible between a mobile phone and a PC. Preconditions is
one of the few specs created within IETF that 3GPP has originally
mandated due to radio access specific reasons, but they have
relaxed this requirement to be a preferred option. Anyway since
offer/answer and preconditions is one of the cornerstones in
3GPP specifications, any backwards incompatible changes for those
specs will have a major impact to that community. In my opinion
this is one of the views (amongst many other important ones)
worth considering in this discussion.

Regards,

Erkki 

>From: ext Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 15.March.2006 10:55
>To: Koivusalo Erkki (Nokia-TP-MSW/Helsinki)
>Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
>[email-masked]; [email-masked]