Subject: RE: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:59:31 -0600

Pl refer my next response too. We are worried about 1xx reliability. I
don't understand why we need to worry about contact.

"We can do it, by adding more logic / header. UAS knows about all the
hops by complete via header set inspection. When sending 1xx, it need to
indicate in this new header to be defined."

If UAS knows that all hops are reliable then it is not expecting PRACK,
and it communicates same
to UAC for not sending PRACK using the header to be defined. Though it
does require modification
for 100 rel tag interpretation for e2e reliable transport.

IMHO we should do it.

Thx
Samir

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Willis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 11:17 AM
To: Srivastava, Samir [SC100:8826:EXCH]
Cc: Paul Kyzivat; Audet, Francois [SC100:3055:EXCH]; IETF SIP List
Subject: Re: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK

On Mar 9, 2006, at 1:18 AM, Samir Srivastava wrote:

> We can do for SIPS only.
>
> Paul said:
>
>> Explain to me again how you would know that reliable transport is 
>> used end to end?
>

Nope. sips only assures TLS as far as the proxy servicing the AOR.  
Now I suppose that once your dialog is established and you have a SIPS
Contact: you have stronger assurances, but this isn't nailed down as
that SIPS: contact could actually be a GRUU.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:13:09 -0500

> for 100 rel tag interpretation for e2e reliable transport.

*why* should we do it? The UAs still need to be prepared for cases where 
the path isn't e2e reliable, so they just get more complicated rather 
than less. I guess maybe you sometimes save a couple of messages. Is 
that what you are after?

	Paul