Subject: [Sip] Questions on GRUU draft 06

From: Fredrik Thulin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:56:38 +0100

Hi

I have read draft-ietf-sip-gruu-06.txt, and implemented all the 
applicable parts for my open source proxy (YXA).

Generally I must say that GRUUs are pretty straight forward, if you 
don't have to deal with the edge proxy problem (I don't, because my 
application serving as an edge proxy handles REGISTER itself without 
forwarding it to a 'home proxy' (distributed location database)).

I have two questions which I really couldn't find an answer to myself :

8.4.1  Request Targeting :

> If the Request URI is an
> AOR against which there are multiple registered contacts with the
> same instance ID parameter, the proxy MUST populate the target set so
> that there is never more than one contact at a time with a given
> instance ID.

Does this means the GRUU specification updates how a proxy should handle 
requests to non-GRUUs as well?

If two GRUU capable user agents have registered with an AOR, gotten two 
different GRUUs, and then a request arrives for the AoR (_not_ one of 
the GRUUs), does this apply? This sounds a bit weird to me.

Maybe the scenario is about a request to a Request-URI which is a GRUU? 
That is not perfectly clear to me at least.

7.1.2.1  Processing a REGISTER Request :

> When generating the 200 (OK) response to the REGISTER request, the
> procedures of step 8 of Section 10.3 of RFC 3261 are followed.
> Furthermore, for each Contact header field value placed in the
> response, if the registrar has stored an instance ID associated with
> that contact, that instance ID is returned as a Contact header field
> parameter. 

Why is this needed? The user agent already knows which instance id it 
supplied, so it can't be for the user agents benefit the proxy puts all 
the instance ids in there.

Is it so that other partys can see the instance id of a user agent? I'm 
not saying that it is bad, but why is it needed? The user agent should 
be able to find it's allocated GRUU by just looking for the contact URI 
it provided?

/Fredrik

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip