Subject: [Sip] RFC3261: Errata?

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:55:55 -0600

During today's SIP meeting, someone (I think it was Vijay) raised an
issue around being able to point to some place that provides
clarifications and corrections for RFC3261. In looking at the errata
page for RFC 3261:

http://www.rfc-editor.org/cgi-bin/errataSearch.pl?rfc=3261&

I notice that there's only one correction there, and it's relatively
pedantic (as opposed to fixing a fundamental problem that will cause
interoperability issues).

To address the issue raised in SIP about where to point people about
these clarifications and fixes, it seems to me that it might make sense
to take some subset of the known flaws and submit them as errata.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:37:43 -0500

I think thats just more confusing; it would mean that there are two 
places to go to for errata, and we need to keep them in sync. I'd prefer 
to stick with bugzilla as the primary source.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:53:33 -0600

> to stick with bugzilla as the primary source.

I don't really care if we store clarifications and corrections
as a list of errata, or in bugzilla as long as whatever it is,
it is updated regularly and serves as a one-stop shop for all
the known issues in the protocol.  For instance, the invaluable
reports that RjS sends out to the SIP* WG lists after bakeoffs should
be archived someplace accessible by a single link.  Searching
for it in the IETF archives is really time consuming unless
you know the date or subject of the posting for a targetted
google search.

Thanks,

- vijay

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:17:10 -0600

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> places to go to for errata, and we need to keep them in sync. I'd
> prefer to stick with bugzilla as the primary source.

I understand the sentiment. The issue is that there's this kind-of well
known place (at least, for people who have a passing familiarity with
the IETF) that people can go to find RFC errata. It's a bit hard to find
for the uninitiated, but the fact that the mechanism is the same for
some 4000+ documents gives it *some* visibility.

On top of that, we add what looks to an outsider like our own
uber-secret-handshake hidden repository of SIP errata, and I'm not sure
how anyone is ever going to benefit from the collected SIPit knowledge
until we publish 3261bis.

Am I missing some kind of pointer that is likely to lead implementors,
vendors, and operators to the bugzilla database?

/a

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:11:42 -0500

We could ask the rfc-editor to link to the bugzilla site.

-Jonathan R.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:51:44 -0600

> We could ask the rfc-editor to link to the bugzilla site.

That would seem to be a suitable solution to the situation.

/a

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:14:58 -0600

/a

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:14:58 -0600

/a

@ietf.org, Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.5
Precedence: list
List-Id: Session Initiation Protocol <sip.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip>,
	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip>,
	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
Errors-To: [email-masked]

/a