Subject: [Sip] New ID on route management in SIP

From: "David Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 06:41:26 +0200

Hello.
 
There have been some problems with the posting of an ID I wrote so I
will send a link to the list for review while the other issues are
sorted out.
 
<http://www.kayote.com/web/docs/Drafts/draft-schwartz-sip-route>
http://www.kayote.com/web/docs/Drafts/draft-schwartz-sip-route
<http://www.kayote.com/web/docs/Drafts/draft-schwartz-sip-route-manageme
nt-00.txt> -management-00.txt

Basically, the ID is a framework that discusses the need for better
mechanisms to secure end to end routes/vias/path headers. While there
has been some discussion of these issues in the past - the solutions
offered were incomplete and usually addressed only one part of the
problem. While identity has received much deserved attention it is still
far to easy to wreak havoc on end to end routing in SIP. While many
network operators employ hacks to deal with these I believe it is about
time we discussed better approaches.

While we have had success with one particular solution we deployed in
our network, my goal in Dallas is not to push one approach or another,
rather it is to agree that there is a problem and to agree to discuss
the solution set. I hope to present real life examples from our network
of some of the more clever attacks we have seen. I am sure these will be
of benefit to the community.

Cheers,

David

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip