Subject: [Sip] draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-00.txt

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:00:45 -0600

Just a quick note on draft-ietf-sip-fork-loop-fix-00.txt:

>   It is RECOMMENDED that proxies meet this requirement by
>   performing the Loop-Detection steps defined as an optional step in
>   Section 16.3 of RFC 3261.  Other loop-detection mechanisms, such as
>   an adaptation of Knuth's algorithm, or the technique described in
>   [I-D.campen-sipping-stack-loop-detect] MAY be used.
>

This text suggests that, even when more efficient mechanism are 
available, the less efficient [O(m*n)] RFC3261 mechanism be employed. 
That is, by making the less efficient detection a RECOMMENDED level, and 
any other (presumably more efficient) mechanisms at MAY level, the draft 
implies that implementors should favor the less efficient implementation 
unless they have a really good reason.

I would suggest making all mechanisms the same strength (which I think 
implies MAY):

>   Proxies MAY meet this requirement by performing the
>   Loop-Detection steps defined as an optional step in
>   Section 16.3 of RFC 3261.  Proxies MAY also use other
>   loop-detection mechanisms, such as an adaptation of
>   Knuth's algorithm, or the technique described in
>   [I-D.campen-sipping-stack-loop-detect].
>

/a

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip