Subject: RE: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK

From: "Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:42:49 +0100

Hi Juha,

If you don't like the 3GPP way of sending an INVITE before the PDP
context has been fully established (i.e. if think it would be better to
establish everything before you send the INVITE) I think you should go
to 3GPP and express that view. This is not the right place.

And, 3GPP is using mechanisms defined by IETF do to this, so I really
don't understand your 3GPP/walled garden "flaming". 3GPP did not define
PRACK, or the pre-condition mechanism.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 17. maaliskuuta 2006 0:31
To: Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)
Cc: Dean Willis; [email-masked]; Brett Tate
Subject: RE: [Sip] The Problem with PRACK

Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF) writes:

 > I may missunderstand you, but are you saying that in your world (the
> non-PSTN one, I assume) it is ok if the phones ring even if there are
> not enough resources to establish the calls?

christer,

for resource reservation by SIP UAs, you don't need anything that is not
already in RFC3261 as i have shown in earlier messages.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:57:15 +0200

> to 3GPP and express that view. This is not the right place.

i could care less if 3GPP system works or not and have no business to go
there.  i just told how you can make resource reservation w/o PRACK.

 > PRACK, or the pre-condition mechanism.

i apologize if 3GPP requirements had nothing to do with introduction of
PRACK in SIP.  regarding "walled garden" flaming stuff, see another
ongoing thread on one of these list on IETF support of 3GPP charging
models.

-- juha