Subject: [Sip] Case sensitivity of user name - why RFC 3261 is more strict then RFC 2543

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:24:20 +0200

RFC 2543 (section 2, page 24) allows for:

   SIP URLs are case-insensitive, so that for example the two URLs
   sip:[email-masked] and SIP:[email-masked] are equivalent.  All
   URL parameters are included when comparing SIP URLs for equality.

That is RFC 2543 does not care about the case of the user name.

RFC 3261 says in section 19.14:

   SIP:[email-masked];Transport=udp             (different usernames)
   sip:[email-masked];Transport=UDP

That is we are having a stricter rules for user name comparison.

Does anyone remember why it was done? I could not find a reference to this 
in
the list of changes from RFC 2543 at the end of RFC 3261.

In email as far as I know user names are NOT case sensitive. RFC 821 only 
says:

   Commands and replies are not case sensitive.  That is, a command or
   reply word may be upper case, lower case, or any mixture of upper and
   lower case.  Note that this is not true of mailbox user names.  For
   some hosts the user name is case sensitive, and SMTP implementations
   must take case to preserve the case of user names as they appear in
   mailbox arguments.  Host names are not case sensitive.

So for email servers need only to preserve the name casing.

--Avshalom
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip