Subject: [Sip] RFC 4474 on Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:50:13 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4474

        Title:      Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management 
                    in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     J. Peterson,  C. Jennings
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       August 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 104952
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-sip-identity-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4474.txt

The existing security mechanisms in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
are inadequate for cryptographically assuring the identity of the end
users that originate SIP requests, especially in an interdomain
context.  This document defines a mechanism for securely identifying
originators of SIP messages.  It does so by defining two new SIP
header fields, Identity, for conveying a signature used for
validating the identity, and Identity-Info, for conveying a reference
to the certificate of the signer.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Session Initiation Protocol
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip