Subject: [Sip] WG Action: RECHARTER: Session Initiation Protocol (sip)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:50:01 -0400

The charter of the Session Initiation Protocol (sip) working group 
in the Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has
been updated. For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the working group Chairs.

+++

Session Initiation Protocol (sip)
=================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chair(s):
Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Keith Drage <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Director(s):
Jon Peterson <[email-masked]>
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Real-time Applications and Infrastructure Area Advisor:
Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) working group is chartered to
maintain and continue the development of SIP, currently specified as
proposed standard RFC 3261, and its family of extensions.

SIP is a text-based protocol, similar to HTTP and SMTP, for
initiating interactive communication sessions between users. Such
sessions include voice, video, chat, interactive games, and virtual
reality. The main tasks of the group involve bringing SIP from
proposed to draft standard and specifying and developing proposed
extensions that arise out of strong requirements. The SIP working
group will concentrate on the specification of SIP and its
extensions, and will not explore the use of SIP for specific
environments or applications. It will, however respond to general-
purpose requirements for changes to SIP provided by other working
groups, including the SIPPING working group, when those requirements
are within the scope and charter of SIP. The process and
requirements for such extensions are documented in RFC 3427, "Change
Process for the Session Initiation Protocol".

Throughout its work, the group will strive to maintain the basic
model and architecture defined by SIP. In particular:

1. Services and features are provided end-to-end whenever possible.

2. Standards-track extensions and new features must be generally
applicable, and not applicable only to a specific set of session
types.

3. Simplicity is key.

4. Reuse of existing Internet protocols and architectures and
integrating with other Internet applications is crucial.

The primary source of change requirements to be considered by the SIP
Working Group is the SIPPING working group, which analyzes the
requirements for application of SIP to several different tasks,
including the tasks of standards-development organizations that are
developing systems based on SIP and that may require changes or
extensions thereto. Additional requirements are produced by the
other IETF working groups that are using SIP, including the SIMPLE WG
(which is using SIP for messaging and presence) and the XCON working
group (which is using SIP for centralized conferencing).

In addition to extending SIP as required to address these externally-
derived requirements, the deliverables of the group include assuring
capable security and privacy mechanisms within SIP and increasing the
stability of the SIP specification. Specific deliverables toward
these goals include:

1. Mechanisms for secure expression of identity in requests and
responses.

2. Mechanism to securely request services delivery by non-terminal
elements ("end-to-middle").

3. Guidelines for use of existing security mechanisms such as TLS,
IPsec, and certificates.

4. Guidelines for the use of descriptive techniques such as SAML
(Security Association Markup Language) with SIP.

5. Draft standard versions of SIP and critical supporting
specifications.

Other deliverables may be agreed upon as extensions are understood to
be necessary. Prospective deliverables will be discussed with the
Area Director before inclusion on agendas, and new proposed work must
be approved via a charter update.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Server Features Negotiation submitted to IESG

Done Complete IESG requested fixes to provrel and servfeat

Done Revised proposed standard version of SIP (2543bis) submitted
to IESG

Done SIP Events specification to IESG

Done The UPDATE Method submitted for Proposed Standard

Done SIP extensions for media authorization (call-auth) submitted
as Informational

Done Preconditions extensions (manyfolks) spec to IESG

Done SIP Privacy specification to IESG

Done SIP Privacy and Security Requirements to IESG

Done The MESSAGE Method submitted for Proposed Standard

Done The Replaces Header submitted for Proposed Standard

Done Refer spec to IESG Done SIP NAT extension submitted to IESG

Done SIP over SCTP specification and applicability statement

Done Mechanism for Content Indirection in SIP submitted to IESG
for Proposed Standard

Done The SIP Referred-By Header submitted to IESG for Proposed
Standard

Done Session Timer spec, revised to IESG

Done Caller preferences specification submitted to IESG

Done Submit SIP Identity documents to IESG for Proposed Standard

Done The SIP Join Header submitted to IESG for Proposed Standard

Done Replaces header to IESG (PS)

Done Upgrade S/MIME requirement for AES in 3261 to IESG (PS)

Done Application Interaction to IESG (BCP)

Done Presence Publication to IESG (PS)

Done Resource Priority signaling mechanism to IESG (PS)

Done Guidelines for Authors of SIP extensions submitted as
Informational

Done Enhancements for Authenticated Identity Management to IESG
(BCP)

Done MIB spec to IESG Done Request History mechanism to IESG (PS)

Done Mechanism for obtaining globally routable unique URIs (GRUU)
to WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for REFER without implicit SUBSCRIBE to IESG (PS)

Done Connection reuse mechanism to start WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for Target-Dialog to IESG (PS)

Done Submit Answering/Alerting Modes to the WGLC (PS)

Done Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Forking Proxies
to WGLC (PS)

Done Mechanism for feature parameters with REFER To IESG (PS)

Done Mechanism for End-to-Middle Requests to IESG (PS)

Aug 2006 Submit Answering/Alerting Modes to the IESG (PS)

Aug 2006 Mechanism and guidelines for outbound connections to WGLC
(PS)

Aug 2006 Mechanism for connected identity to WGLC (PS)

Aug 2006 Diagnostic Responses for SIP Errors to WGLC (PS)

Aug 2006 Consent-Based Communications WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Mechanism for obtaining globally routable unique URIs (GRUU)
to IESG (PS)

Sep 2006 Mechanism and guidelines for outbound connections to IESG
(PS)

Sep 2006 Location Conveyance with SIP to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Certificate Management Service for SIP to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Rejecting Anonymous Requests to WGLC (PS)

Sep 2006 Session Policies to WGLC as PS

Sep 2006 Example security flows to WGLC (Informational)

Oct 2006 Consent-Based Communications to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Diagnostic Responses for SIP Errors to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Rejecting Anonymous Requests to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Mechanism for connected identity to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Addressing an Amplification Vulnerability in Forking Proxies
to IESG (PS)

Oct 2006 Extensions to SIP UA Profile Delivery Change Notification
Event Package for XCAP to WGLC (PS)

Oct 2006 Refering to Multiple Resources to IESG as PS

Nov 2006 Certificate Management Service for SIP to IESG (PS)

Nov 2006 Session Policies to IESG as PS

Dec 2006 Extensions to SIP UA Profile Delivery Change Notification
Event Package for XCAP to IESG (PS)

Dec 2006 Location Conveyance with SIP to IESG (PS)

Dec 2006 Example security flows to IESG (Informational)

Dec 2006 Roadmap for SIP to WGLC (Informational)

Mar 2007 Roadmap for SIP to IESG (Informational)

Mar 2007 Guidelines for use of SIP security to WGLC (Informational)

Apr 2007 Connection reuse mechanism to IESG (PS)

Jun 2007 Guidelines for use of SIP security to IESG (Informational)

Jun 2007 Identify requirements for test matrix to move SIP to Draft
Standard

Jun 2007 Revise charter

Sep 2007 Using SAML for SIP to WGLC (PS)

Dec 2007 Using SAML for SIP to IESG (PS)

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip