Subject: [Sip] Interworking between Wireline Softswitch & a CDMA softswitch !!!!!

From: AMIT KUNDRA <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:44:33 +0100 (BST)

Hi ,
   
  I have one doubt. For one of our clients , having CDMA Mobile services & Wireline services If we are to have interworking between a Wireline Softswitch & a CDMA Softswitch then do we use SIP or BICC ? as many people think that BICC is more clearly defines than SIP . From this I have 3 more queries:
   
  1. Is SIP & BICC the same kind of protocol with just the difference that BICC is part of SS7  suite & while SIP is part of VoIP suite ?
   
  2. If different then what is this talk about integarting BICC into SIP ?
   
  3. Is there any SIP variant, called SIP-I as I only know the SIP & SIP-T ?
   
  4. Pls clearly distinguish between SIP,SIP-T & SIP-I with practical examples as to where which to be used ?
   
  Pls respond urgently 

---------------------------------
 Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers 
Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:33:45 -0400

3GPP (and 3GPP2 for CDMA) defines IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) which
covers both wireless and wireline softswitches.

At one point IMS specified BICC for voice calls and SIP for other
multimedia calls, but the more recent releases of IMS specify SIP for voice
calls as well.

I work with a number of wireless and wireline switch vendors (including
softswitch vendors), and all of them are using SIP to communicate with
other vendor's equipment. (some use proprietary protocols to communicate
with their own equipment).   Nobody has mentioned BICC in several years.

SIP is a protocol.  SIP-T is a BCP describing a consistent way to USE SIP
for telephony applications.  I am not familiar with SIP-I.

SIP-T focuses on getting the SS7 signalling THROUGH an "island" of IP, so
that the SS7 signalling emerges intact at the other end.

 If you want to have a impact on what happens WITHIN the IP network, you
typically need to use more of the SIP functionality that just that covered
in SIP-T.

Janet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written
agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail
for such purpose.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

             AMIT KUNDRA                                                   
             <akundra_1609@yah                                             
             oo.co.in>                                                  To 
                                       [email-masked]                        
             08/15/2006 08:44                                           cc 
             AM                                                            
                                                                   Subject 
                                       [Sip] Interworking between Wireline 
                                       Softswitch & a CDMA softswitch      
                                       !!!!!                               

                                                                           

Hi ,

I have one doubt. For one of our clients , having CDMA Mobile services &
Wireline services If we are to have interworking between a Wireline
Softswitch & a CDMA Softswitch then do we use SIP or BICC ? as many people
think that BICC is more clearly defines than SIP . From this I have 3 more
queries:

1. Is SIP & BICC the same kind of protocol with just the difference that
BICC is part of SS7  suite & while SIP is part of VoIP suite ?

4. Pls clearly distinguish between SIP,SIP-T & SIP-I with practical
examples as to where which to be used ?

Pls respond urgently

 Here's a new way to find what you're looking for - Yahoo! Answers
Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get
it NOW_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Beith, Gordon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:16:34 -0400

SIP-T is IETF's version called SIP for Telephones (kind of an odd name,
since it is for SS7 ISUP, not POTS)
SIP-I is essentially ITU-T's version called SIP for BICC or ISUP

So, for SS7 ISUP intents and purposes, SIP-T is virtually the same as
SIP-I, except that SIP-I also caters for BICC.

Regards,
	Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Janet P Gunn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 1:34 PM
To: AMIT KUNDRA
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Sip] Interworking between Wireline Softswitch & a
CDMAsoftswitch !!!!!

At one point IMS specified BICC for voice calls and SIP for other
multimedia calls, but the more recent releases of IMS specify SIP for
voice
calls as well.

SIP is a protocol.  SIP-T is a BCP describing a consistent way to USE
SIP
for telephony applications.  I am not familiar with SIP-I.

SIP-T focuses on getting the SS7 signalling THROUGH an "island" of IP,
so
that the SS7 signalling emerges intact at the other end.

 If you want to have a impact on what happens WITHIN the IP network, you
typically need to use more of the SIP functionality that just that
covered
in SIP-T.

Janet

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
delivery. NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to
bind CSC to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit
written
agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail
for such purpose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------

             AMIT KUNDRA

             <akundra_1609@yah

             oo.co.in>
To 
                                       [email-masked]

             08/15/2006 08:44
cc 
             AM

Subject 
                                       [Sip] Interworking between
Wireline 
                                       Softswitch & a CDMA softswitch

                                       !!!!!

 

Hi ,

I have one doubt. For one of our clients , having CDMA Mobile services &
Wireline services If we are to have interworking between a Wireline
Softswitch & a CDMA Softswitch then do we use SIP or BICC ? as many
people
think that BICC is more clearly defines than SIP . From this I have 3
more
queries:

3. Is there any SIP variant, called SIP-I as I only know the SIP & SIP-T
?

Pls respond urgently

Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8.
Get