Subject: [Sip] Summary of draft-ietf-sip-outbound Issues

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 07:38:03 -0700

Hi,

My apologies for taking so long to get this out.  At our meeting in 
Montreal, I presented slides on issues related to 
draft-ietf-sip-outbound.  Here is a summary of what's happening with 
each of these. If you have questions, please respond to the appropriate 
thread for each issue (or start a new thread if you have a new issue).

Slides can be found here:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/sip-5.pdf

thanks,
-rohan

Slide 1: title slide

Slide 2: Reregistering too rapidly:
I will send out a separate mail describing this issue.  Reregistering 
immediately if there have been mulitple flow failures in a short period 
of time (ex: 30 seconds) is also problematic if a NAT is rebooting over 
and over again.

Slides 3 and 4: SIP STUN discovery and validation:
I have sent out a separate email on this issue.
To summarize the proposal, the UAC adds Proxy-Require: sip-stun, which 
the first proxy removes. Supported: outbound implies that either the 
registrar supports SIP stun or expects to never receive a request 
without getting it from outbound proxy.

slide 7: Additional outbound discovery mechanisms
Sent email confirming that we are declaring additional outbound 
discovery out of scope.  there is not even a consensus on use cases and 
requirements.

slides 9 and 10: How to tell if edge proxy supports outbound, and what 
does Supported: outbound mean?
Sent email to test my proposal on the list (same proposal as described 
in slides).

slide 11: Semantics of reg-id: replacement?
Sent email to confirm on the list that registration with same reg-id 
*replaces* flows

Slide 5: Where does STUN keepalive description go
Keith sent a separate mail to the list on this proposing that the 
description lives in an autonomous section of the outbound draft.

In addition we agreed to the following (overwhelming consensus):
slide 6:  Agreed to change draft so you SHOULD register for each URI in 
outbound-proxy-set

slide 8: Agreed to reword language about EP and authorization policy

slide 12: Editors will clarify that normally you should reregister over 
the same flow as original registration

slide 13: Editors will change 410 Gone to 480 Temporarily Unavailable

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip