Subject: [Sip] [sip] extensions of "handling" parameter of Content-Disposition header

From: "Sedlacek Ivo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:48:24 +0200

Hello,
 
can anyone please give me an expert opinion on possible extensions of
"handling" parameter defined in RFC3204/RFC3459?
 
Is it appropriate to extend and use the "handling" parameter of
Content-Disposition header of a MIME body inserted in a SIP request to
signal a particular action which the sender requests from the recipient? 
 
For example - if the "handling" parameter contained value "XYZ", the SIP
request recipient would do a special action ActionXYZ using the MIME body.
If the MIME body was included in the SIP request without the "handling"
parameter, the recipient would NOT do the special action XYZ and instead
would just store or render the MIME body.
 
AFAIK, RFC3204 defines parameter "handling" of Content-Disposition header of
a MIME body with two defined parameter values "required" and "optional" and
allows for possible future extensions. RFC3204 also states "The handling
parameter, handling-parm, describes how the UAS should react if it receives
a message body whose content type or disposition type it does not
understand". RFC3459 says "The protocol described here is identical in
functionality to RFC 3204 with respect to SIP.".
 
Kind regards
 
Ivo Sedlacek
Siemens
PSE CZ TMM MMA8
phone: +420 5 3877 6532 <tel:+420543106532> 
email: [email-masked], [email-masked]

Mailcode: tL3PbjBL 

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip