Subject: Re: [Sip] WGLC for draft-ietf-sip-body-handling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:08:07 -0400 (EDT)

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>

   In any case, if we decided to use the disposition types of the body 
   parts in a multipart/related instead of ignoring them, we would need to 
   understand what would be the difference between:

   - a multipart/mixed where body parts are treated according to their 
   disposition types, and

   - a multipart/related where body parts would also be treated according 
   to their disposition types.

   If we do not explicitly explain what the difference in processing is, 
   implementers are going to be confused.

My understanding is that with multipart/mixed, all components are
processed if they can be, whereas with multipart/related, only the
specified root component is processed automatically, and the remainder
are processed if they are referenced (directly or indirectly) via the
root component.  Similarly, the processing context of a component of a
multipart/mixed part is inherited from the part, whereas the
processing context of a non-root component of a multipart/related is
provided by the reference that causes it to be processed.

And the disposition types of the components and their containing parts
are part of the processing context, but the meaning of those is
defined outside the scope of this document.

I would expect the disposition types of the components of a
multipart/mixed to all be the same, but maybe there are uses for
having them differ.

Dale
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip