Subject: [Sip] Protocol Action: 'Requesting Answering Modes for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:20:10 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requesting Answering Modes for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-answermode-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Cullen Jennings and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-answermode-07.txt

Technical Summary 

This document defines extends SIP with two header fields and associated 
option tags that can be used in INVITE requests to convey the requester's
preference for user-interface handling related to answering of that
request. 
The first header, "Answer-Mode", expresses a preference as to whether the
target node's user interface waits for user input before accepting the 
request or instead accepts the request without waiting on user input. The
second header, "Priv-Answer-Mode" is similar to the first, except that it
requests administrative-level access and has consequent additional 
authentication and authorization requirements. These behaviors have 
applicability to applications such as Push-to-Talk and to diagnostics 
like loop-back. Usage of each header field in a response to indicate 
how the request was handled is also defined. 

Working Group Summary 

There is consensus in the working group to publish this document. The 
proposal was originally submitted as a P-header, but it was decided that 
this aspect should be brought out and made generally applicable to all 
SIP implementations. Early concerns about the possibility to use the 
header as a means of eavesdropping have been addressed in the 
security considerations.

Document Quality 

There has been no indication of implementation. The document has been 
required in support of the OMA PoC feature, and it can be assumed that
there  have been implementations of the OMA work that have therefore
used this feature. 

Personnel 

The document shepherd for this document was Keith Drage. The responsible
Area Director was Cullen Jennings.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip