Subject: [Sip] I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Connection Reuse in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : V. Gurbani, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-12.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-10-22

This document enables a pair of communicating proxies to reuse a
congestion-controlled connection between themselves for sending
requests in the forward and backwards direction.  Because the
connection is essentially aliased for requests going in the backwards
direction, reuse is predicated upon both the communicating endpoints
authenticating themselves using X.509 certificates through TLS.  For
this reason, we only consider connection reuse for TLS over TCP and
TLS over SCTP.  From the security perspective, it is bad practice to
reuse a single connection for the TCP or SCTP transport between two
peers, and this document provides specific insights into why this is
the case.  As a remedy, it suggests using two TCP connections (or two
SCTP associations), each opened pro-actively towards the recipient by
the sender.  Finally, this document also provides guidelines on
connection reuse and virtual SIP servers and the interaction of
connection reuse and DNS SRV lookups in SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip