Subject: [Sip] INFO Events Replacing or Updating INFO?

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:52:45 -0500

You may or may not recall there was discussion in Dublin (but not on  
the list or in the minutes) about whether the new INFO Events document  
should Update or Obsolete the old INFO specification, RFC 2976.  Upon  
reflection, and what you see in the current draft, the editors went  
with Obsolete. The reasons are:

o  This mechanism substantially replaces the old mechanism; it is not  
an incremental change or correction.

o  There are already way too many documents in SIP; it would be easy  
for an implementor to not bother checking what the Update is when they  
look at RFC 2976.

o   We want the RFC 2976 mechanism to go away. Keeping RFC 2976 active  
is begging for implementors to build the wrong thing. An Update sort  
of implies "new and improved, but old is still good."  Old, in this  
case, is NOT good.

The editors made this decision and it is what the current document  
reflects.  However, we would like to make sure this represents the  
work group consensus.  Therefore, it would be helpful if you could  
chime in with your thoughts:

[ ] INFO Events should Obsolete RFC 2976
[ ] INFO Events should Update RFC 2796, because ____________
[ ] I do not care what you do

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip