Subject: [Sip] Is GRUU generated in the case of registration with instance-ID and reg-ID

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 06:29:30 +0300

Hello,

Both Outbound and GRUU drafts make use of the instance-ID for different
purposes during SIP registration. In GRUU only the instance-ID is needed
to generate a GRUU. For Outbound both, instance-ID and reg-ID are
needed.

My question now is, whether a GRUU will be generated when a REGISTER is
received at the registrar, which indicates both reg-ID and instance-ID
in the Contact header. Reading outbound, it seems like instance-ID +
reg-ID are *only* used for outbound purposes. 

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards
Georg
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:59:32 -0500

I think you are correct.
 
It doesn't mean we couldn't re-use reg-id for other purposes however.

________________________________

	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
	Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 20:30
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Sip] Is GRUU generated in the case of registration with instance-ID and reg-ID

	Hello, 

	Both Outbound and GRUU drafts make use of the instance-ID for different purposes during SIP registration. In GRUU only the instance-ID is needed to generate a GRUU. For Outbound both, instance-ID and reg-ID are needed.

	My question now is, whether a GRUU will be generated when a REGISTER is received at the registrar, which indicates both reg-ID and instance-ID in the Contact header. Reading outbound, it seems like instance-ID + reg-ID are *only* used for outbound purposes. 

	Best regards 
	Georg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:43:39 -0400 (EDT)

From: <[email-masked]>

I'm not an expert on outbound, but looking at the uses of "GRUU" and
"instance" in the outbound draft there doesn't seem to be any
intention to forbid GRUU processing.  I would assume that GRUU
processing and outbound processing are independent, each triggered by
the appropriate conditions.

The diagram in section 5.4 of draft-ietf-sip-gruu-15.txt suggests that
multiple flows for a single UA would share the same GRUU.

Dale