Subject: [Sip] Outbound: keep-alives on dialog flows

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 17:17:27 +0200

Hi,

As I asked in another e-mail, are keep-alives sent on dialog initated
Outbound flows?

I need to know, because in that case the non-registration use-case can
be removed from the sip-keep draft.

Regards,

Christer
_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:45:44 -0500

It can. Section 4.4., second and third paragraph.
 
But it basically says that you need an explicit indication. I believe that the intent of this wording was to allow for sip-keep draft.
 
In other words, I believe it says that the non-register case can only use keep-alive if there is an explicit mechanism (e.g., sip-keep).

________________________________

	From: Christer Holmberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 08:17
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: Audet, Francois (SC100:3055)
	Subject: Outbound: keep-alives on dialog flows

	Hi, 

	As I asked in another e-mail, are keep-alives sent on dialog initated Outbound flows? 

	I need to know, because in that case the non-registration use-case can be removed from the sip-keep draft. 

	Regards, 

	Christer

---

From: "Christer Holmberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:31:27 +0200

Hi, 

>But it basically says that you need an explicit indication. I believe
that the intent of this wording was to allow for 
>sip-keep draft.
>	 
>In other words, I believe it says that the non-register case can only
use keep-alive if there is an explicit mechanism 
>(e.g., sip-keep).

Ok, that clarifies.

But, do we then need to indicate that the procedures in chapter 3.5 and
3.5.1 only apply to registration flows?

Because, chapter 3.5 says:

"When the UA detects that a flow has failed or that the flow definition
has changed, the UA needs to re-register..."

...and chapter 3.5.1 says:

"If the client does not receive a pong in response to its ping, it
declares the flow dead and opens a new flow in its place."

OR, should chapter 3.5 say anything about what happens in a flow failure
in the first place? We have decided that the keep-alives is a separate
function, and in order for e.g. the keep-draft to refer to it I think it
should be described without any outbound procedures attached. Chapter 4
then describes how the keep-alives are used with outbound.

Finally, as I asked earlier, since an INVITE can establish a flow, can a
INVITE be rejectect with 439?

Regards,

Christer