Subject: [Sip] SIP de-REGISTER: Expires header vs expires parameter i Contact

From: "Gert Olsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:25:52 +0100

Hi,

SIP de-registration is performed by sending a REGISTER message with
either a Contact header containing an 'expires=0' parameter or an
Expires header with value 0. My question is: is it FORBIDDEN to have
both? Shouldn't any decent server, if it has found 'expires=0' in the
Contact header (or in all if many), just happily ignore an Expires
header?

br

/GO
__________________________________________________________________|
Gert Olsson   /  phone: +46 10 7154604   /  e-mail:
[email-masked]
Ericsson AB - Business Unit Mobile Platforms, SE-221 83  Lund, Sweden

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Neelakantan Balasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:14:08 -0800

See RFC 3261 Section 10.2.1.1

10.2.1.1 Setting the Expiration Interval of Contact Addresses

   When a client sends a REGISTER request, it MAY suggest an expiration
   interval that indicates how long the client would like the
   registration to be valid.  (As described in Section 10.3, the
   registrar selects the actual time interval based on its local
   policy.)

   There are two ways in which a client can suggest an expiration
   interval for a binding: through an Expires header field or an
   "expires" Contact header parameter.  The latter allows expiration
   intervals to be suggested on a per-binding basis when more than one
   binding is given in a single REGISTER request, whereas the former
   suggests an expiration interval for all Contact header field values
   that do not contain the "expires" parameter.

Thanks,
Neel.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Gert Olsson
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] SIP de-REGISTER: Expires header vs expires parameter i Contact

Hi,

SIP de-registration is performed by sending a REGISTER message with either a Contact header containing an 'expires=0' parameter or an Expires header with value 0. My question is: is it FORBIDDEN to have both? Shouldn't any decent server, if it has found 'expires=0' in the Contact header (or in all if many), just happily ignore an Expires header?

[Neelakantan Bala]
See RFC 3261 Section 10.2.1.1

10.2.1.1 Setting the Expiration Interval of Contact Addresses

   When a client sends a REGISTER request, it MAY suggest an expiration
   interval that indicates how long the client would like the
   registration to be valid.  (As described in Section 10.3, the
   registrar selects the actual time interval based on its local
   policy.)

   There are two ways in which a client can suggest an expiration
   interval for a binding: through an Expires header field or an
   "expires" Contact header parameter.  The latter allows expiration
   intervals to be suggested on a per-binding basis when more than one
   binding is given in a single REGISTER request, whereas the former
   suggests an expiration interval for all Contact header field values
   that do not contain the "expires" parameter.

Thanks,
Neel.

br

/GO
__________________________________________________________________|
Gert Olsson   /  phone: +46 10 7154604   /  e-mail: [email-masked]
Ericsson AB - Business Unit Mobile Platforms, SE-221 83  Lund, Sweden

---

From: "Gert Olsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:48:47 +0100

Hi,
Well, actually I was hoping for a 'yes' or 'no' on the question:
"is it FORBIDDEN to have both ?"
 
br

/GO 

________________________________

From: Neelakantan Balasubramanian [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: den 20 januari 2009 17:14
To: Gert Olsson; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: SIP de-REGISTER: Expires header vs expires parameter i
Contact

   policy.)

Thanks,

Neel.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Gert Olsson
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 6:26 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] SIP de-REGISTER: Expires header vs expires parameter i
Contact

Hi, 

[Neelakantan Bala] 

   policy.)

Thanks,

Neel.

br 

/GO

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:18:36 -0500

> "is it FORBIDDEN to have both ?"

You may have both.

Dale

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:52:33 -0600

I think if you have both, the one in the contact takes precedence.

That allows you to have X+1 contacts, where X use the same 
expiry, and the other uses a per-contact expiry.

That would be my take. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Worley, Dale (BL60:9D30)
> Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 08:19
> To: Gert Olsson
> Cc: [email-masked]; Neelakantan Balasubramanian
> Subject: Re: [Sip] SIP de-REGISTER: Expires header vs expires 
> parameteri Contact
> 
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol Use 
> [email-masked] for questions on current sip