Subject: [Sip] Fwd: [RAI] SIP and SIPPING

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:50:31 -0500

In the immortal words of Douglas Adams: So long, and thanks for all  
the fish!

Now, where's that Vogon Constructor Fleet?

--
Dean

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
> Date: April 14, 2009 3:14:37 PM CDT
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [RAI] SIP and SIPPING
>
> Now that SIPCORE and DISPATCH have been created, we are closing SIP  
> and SIPPING.
> The charters and the previous message to the RAI list detail how  
> work is transitioning to the new groups.
> Items that are currently with the IESG will be keeping their current  
> shepherds.
> The mailing lists will continue to exist.

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:57:56 -0500

Dean Willis wrote:
> In the immortal words of Douglas Adams: So long, and thanks for all the 
> fish!

Dean: In honor of your long-standing and unflagging support
for SIP, I have petitioned the city of Chicago to rename
Sears Tower as "Willis" Tower.  They have agreed!

Please see the press bulletin that announces this name change:
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/mar/12/business/chi-biz-sears-tower-name-change-willis-march12

All kidding aside ... thanks for leading us from when we were wild-
eyed enthusiasts in 1999 to the grizzled veterans of 2008 ;-)

Ciao,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:49:15 -0500

> eyed enthusiasts in 1999 to the grizzled veterans of 2008 ;-)

Thanks, Vijay! It has been a privilege to lead such men (and women,  
and herms, and neuters, and other distinguished configurations)  as  
these!

Supposedly, the Chicago guys are my very distant cousins.

Here's how it was explained to me:

One of our forebears (Robert) was the personal physician of King  
George III (aka "the Mad", probably because of my forebear)  One of  
his grandkids (John) went into business, owned the Cutty Sark, and  
lead to the Sears/Willis Tower lineage. The other (Robert again) went  
into engineering and became the first Dean of Engineering at Cambridge  
(he did a nifty writeup on the Mechanical Turk), and that's where the  
name Dean entered the family tree. My father was George, after the  
king, and his father was Robert Dean. His father was George Dean, and  
so on.

So, the Willis Tower really is named after me. Sort of.

Of course, this could all just be a long line my mother once heard  
from my father, and from which I am therefore descended only verbally.

--
Dean