Subject: [Sip] Last Call: draft-ietf-sip-certs (Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:33:33 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has received a request from the Session Initiation Protocol WG 
(sip) to consider the following document:

- 'Certificate Management Service for The Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sip-certs-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This version of this document was also reviewed in IETF LC in September 2009.

This last call focuses on a down-reference that was not explicitly called out
during that last call.

    [RFC2898]  Kaliski, B., "PKCS #5: Password-Based Cryptography
               Specification Version 2.0", RFC 2898, September 2000.

Is a normative reference, but is itself an Informational document.

Version -07 of this document (IETF LCed in January 2009) contained this text:
              This reference is normative.  The mechanisms used in this
              specification from RFC2898 are stable and sutable for use
              in a standards track specification.  RFC2898 has been used
              as a normative reference in several prior standards track
              documents including RFC3185, RFC3370, RFC3962, and
              RFC4656.

This Last Call focuses only on whether that down-reference is appropriate.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2010-03-17. Exceptionally, 
comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please 
retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-certs-09.txt

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_id&dTag=14709&rfc_flag=0