Subject: [Sipbrandy] Protocol Action: 'Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP' to Best Current Practice (draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 09:10:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Best Practices for Securing RTP Media Signaled with SIP'
  (draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec-08.txt) as Best Current Practice

This document is the product of the SIP Best-practice Recommendations Against
Network Dangers to privacY Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-rtpsec/

Technical Summary:

    Although the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) includes a suite of
    security services that has been expanded by numerous
    specifications over the years, there is no single place that
    explains how to use SIP to establish confidential media sessions.
    Additionally, existing mechanisms have some feature gaps that need
    to be identified and resolved in order for them to address the
    pervasive monitoring threat model.  This specification describes
    best practices for negotiating confidential media with SIP,
    including both comprehensive protection solutions which bind the
    media to SIP-layer identities as well as opportunistic security
    solutions.

Working Group Summary:

    There is consensus in the WG around this document.

Document Quality:

    While parts of the specification have been implemented, we are not
    aware of any implementation that implements all of it. In fact,
    the goal with publishing this RFC is to get more implementations
    out there.

Personnel:

    Gonzalo Camarillo is the Document Shepherd. Ben Campbell is the
    responsible AD.