Subject: [Sipbrandy] Last Call: <draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp-09.txt> (An Opportunistic Approach for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP)) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 05:38:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the SIP Best-practice Recommendations
Against Network Dangers to privacY WG (sipbrandy) to consider the following
document: - 'An Opportunistic Approach for Secure Real-time Transport Protocol
   (OSRTP)'
  <draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp-09.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-05-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Opportunistic Secure Real-time Transport Protocol (OSRTP) is an
   implementation of the Opportunistic Security mechanism, as defined in
   RFC 7435, applied to Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP).  OSRTP
   allows encrypted media to be used in environments where support for
   encryption is not known in advance, and not required.  OSRTP does not
   require SDP extensions or features and is fully backwards compatible
   with existing implementations using encrypted and authenticated media
   and implementations that do not encrypt or authenticate media
   packets.  OSRTP is not specific to any key management technique for
   SRTP.  OSRTP is a transitional approach useful for migrating existing
   deployments of real-time communications to a fully encrypted and
   authenticated state.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipbrandy-osrtp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.