Subject: Re: [Sipping-tispan] Requirements -02h

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 15:08:53 +0300

Hi Paul:

I am aware that this version does not contain a comprehensive list of 
requirements. I don't know how to deal with this, honestly speaking, it 
seems to be a lot of work to list all the requirements when we can 
foresee they can be easily implemented with SIP without further extensions.

Need to think a plan.

/Miguel

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> 
> 
> Miguel Garcia wrote:
> 
>> ok, so here it goes with a new iteration:
> 
> 
>> Changes:
>> - Clarification that we don't list every single requirement that we have.
> 
> 
> As I noted elsewhere, I am finding this to be a problem. The 
> reinterpretation of the requirements relative to SIP rather than ISDN is 
> not entirely straightforward, expecially to those of us who aren't 
> familiar with ISDN.
> 
> As a result, much of the sip community here cannot properly participate 
> in evaluating the proposed changes.
> 
> Also, the requirements for changes presume not only the interpretation 
> of the feature, but also the contemplated implementation. I don't find a 
> request for a new sip feature meaningful without being presented with 
> the use case where it will be used.
> 
>     Paul

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
sip:[email-masked]
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Sipping-tispan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping-tispan

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:44:08 -0400

> foresee they can be easily implemented with SIP without further extensions.

Before a sip solution can be specified, the requirements must, 
explicitly or implicitly, be interpretted in the context of the sip 
operating environment. Doing this implicitly is to guarantee 
disagreement about the validity of the chosen solution. I don't deny 
that it is work. But it seems to be work that must be done in any case, 
though it otherwise might not be done in IETF. It makes sense to me that 
this work at least be shared with the IETF. Doing that interpretation is 
really work that TISPAN must ultimately do, though people here are 
probably willing to express opinions. Naively, I am inclined to hope 
that this work has already been done, but we just haven't yet seen it.

	Paul

>> reinterpretation of the requirements relative to SIP rather than ISDN 
>> is not entirely straightforward, expecially to those of us who aren't 
>> familiar with ISDN.
>>
>> As a result, much of the sip community here cannot properly 
>> participate in evaluating the proposed changes.
>>
>> of the feature, but also the contemplated implementation. I don't find 
>> a request for a new sip feature meaningful without being presented 
>> with the use case where it will be used.
>>
>>     Paul
> 
>