Subject: [Sipping] To-Join, To-Explodemyphone stuff

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 06:44:05 -0400

I must admit that I'm still digestng this and am likely to remain
horribly confused for a while, so I'm reluctant to ask a barrage of
questions based on my poor understanding.

So, let me just ask one question and perhaps that will help set my brain
on the right wavelength:

I was led to understand that if I as a UAC send some method (e.g.
Invite, Refer) to a UAS with a To-Join: URL header, that URL is not
supposed to be invoked as part of executing the method which carried it,
but instead is just supposed to be squirreled away for the UAS to invoke
based on it's own desires.

If this is true, why is this a header and not an application/url (or
some other url-style MIME type) body part?

Dave.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:12:31 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: David R. Oran [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 6:44 AM
> To: 'sipping'
> Subject: [Sipping] To-Join, To-Explodemyphone stuff
> 
> Invite, Refer) to a UAS with a To-Join: URL header, 

It was specifically meant for INVITE and 2xx to INVITE.

> that URL is not

That is correct.

> some other url-style MIME type) body part?

Because I hadn't thought too much about whether its a header or body part.
This depends a lot on your criteria for headers vs. body. My general
preference is really to put "big, beefy, standalone things" in bodies. I
think your view here is that headers are for things related to processing
THIS request, and bodies are for use for other things. But, by this
argument, Contact should be a body part as well. It has no bearing on the
current transaction. Its squirreled away, used in a subsequent request down
the road.

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com