Subject: [Sipping] Draft Minutes, SIPPING, IETF51

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:55:13 -0500

Ok, here's the current rough draft of minutes. It seems to be especially
lacking during the discssion of 3GPP inasmuch as I was involved in a side
conversation and took really bad notes. Please help me fill in details.
-------

Agenda accepted as proposed.
Charter discussion -- under review from IETF, further discussion postponed.
Robert Sparks discussed call transfer and related dependencies. No issues
raised.
Requirements for hearing-impaired users -- Arnoud van Wijk
-------------------------------------------------------------
Reqs:
1) Automatic use of relay services
2) Transparent to end user
3) Caller ID visible
4) Support for current and legacy relay devices
5) Add/remove media streams at any point
6) one-to-many streams, efficiently (multicast or broadcast?) -- discussion
on this point. Request feedback on technical means from audience.

Bottom line: hearing impaired people should be a able to communicate using
ordinary phones using IM, chat, video, etc.

Work plan: Finish requirements draft by Dec01. Move example flows to later
in document

Question: Do we need to consider the global text telephony efforts from 3G?
Response -- maybe, let's focus on requirements for now. Comment -- really
critical to consider requirements. For example, text in one way and voice in
the other could be useful. Further discussion -- this probably needs to be a
topic of coordination with 3GPP SA1. Further -- bidirectional streams with
mixed attributes may already be solved by FID in MMUSIC, but this approach
may be explicitly blocked by assumptions in 3GPP. From 3GPP Liason: There
are explicit requirements to support hearing impaired users in 3GPP,
especially for emergency services. It would be useful to have a commonality
of requirements between the two orgs. Reminder to consider that the current
solutions are extremely resource restricted.

Call Control Modeling -- Rohan Mahy
---------------------------------------

Terminology -- definition of call, conversation space, and participants as
user-oriented terms. This relates to several defs from 2543 -- call, call
leg, conference, and session. Debate on whether changing of media qualifies
as a change of content and thereby makes the changing element a
"participant" of the call. Examples given using a visual set representation
(see slides) and an algebra of conversation space manipulations. Work
planning briefly discussed, but due to dependency on charter (currently
undefined) left for later.

Event Package for Calls -- Jonathan Rosenberg
------------------------------------------------

Several components; events package, new headers (To-Join and To-Replace) to
carry SIP URLS for use in joining or replacing existing call, usage of those
URLs. This seems to resolve some open issues with consultation transfers.
Debate on advantages of extensions vs. not adding them. Some debate on
headers vs. parameters and interaction with REPLACES. Extended and very
confused conversation on semantics of set operations in conversation spaces.
Some discussion of whether this sort of work belongs in SIP or SIPPING and
how it should be planned. No conclusion.

Conventions for Accessing Media Server Resources -- Eric Burger
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposes encoding convention for LHS of SIP URI. Intense discussion with no
clear consensus resulted during the initial presentation. Primary concerns
raised by RFC3087 proponents include likelihood of bad assumptions about
function being made by users.

3GPP  Architecture -- Keith Drage
-----------------------------------

Review of operating assumptions from  3GPP. Consensus in the room that
SIPPING group has enough background on 3GPP to start considering concrete
requirements without further review.

QoS and Why it Matters to SIP -- Johnson Oyama
----------------------------------------------------

Discuss absolute dependency of IMS architecture on QoS mechanism as policy
enforcement for billing model.

Security and Authentication -- Peter Howard
---------------------------------------------

Concerns raised with 3GPP authentication policy of validing REGISTER and not
INVITE. This appears to run a misattribution risk as client software cannot
be considered "trusted" to not alter presented user identity.

The Cx Interface -- Johanna Wild
----------------------------------

Minimal discussion.

Dependencies on SIP and SIPPING Drafts -- Ileana Leuca
------------------------------------------------------------

Minimal discussion.

Network Announcements -- Eric Burger
-----------------------------------------

Debate centered on RFC 3087 issues and advisability of making "parseable"
service names.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Guido Gybels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:09:18 +0100

Dean, you wrote:

<<Ok, here's the current rough draft of minutes. It seems to be especially
lacking during the discssion of 3GPP inasmuch as I was involved in a side
conversation and took really bad notes. Please help me fill in details.>>

As you probably recall, we had a palantypist present at that session, so I would be most willing to send you the plain-ascii or Word transcript for that session to help you out with the minutes.

Guido Gybels
RNID, Head of ICT
[email-masked]
Tel +44(0)20-7294 3713
Fax +44(0)20-7296 8069
---
Royal National Institute for Deaf People
19-23 Featherstone Street
LONDON EC1Y 8 SL
Phone 020-7296 8000
TextPhone 020-7296 8001
Fax 020-7296 8199