Subject: RE: [Sipping] use of SIP URI for announcements

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 17:06:06 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dean Willis [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 4:52 PM
> To: Jonathan Rosenberg; Ben Campbell
> Cc: [email-masked]; Sipping (E-mail); Sean Olson; 'Christian
> Huitema'
> Subject: Re: [Sipping] use of SIP URI for announcements
> 
> 
> Wait a sec, -- You're suggesting that your proxy should use 
> some sort of
> algorithm or naming convention to guess where to send you voice mail?
> 
> Why don't you just tell your proxy what your voicemail URL 
> is, just like you
> tell it the URL you would want it to forward to if it were doing
> unconditional call forwarding?

My preference in general is that someone should hand me a URL, and the
surrounding context tells me how that URL is to be used. Thus, if when I
sign up with service, the provider gives me a URL for voicemail, and I know
to copy that into my CPLs to forward to voicemail, then this is definitely
the ideal solution. Especially so if this can happen automatically. For
example, when I sign up for service, I get some kind of XML document that
specifies the various URLs, and this can be read in by tools that create CPL
scripts. 

The problem we are grappling with is that there are many cases where
something needs to to access a particular service, but there is no obvious
programmtic way in which the URL for that service can be handed to the that
something. So, it must either be configured (which can be a burden), or it
can be by standardizing how URLs are constructed for accessing a particular
service. Which is worse? There is a clear conflict between easing
configuration burdens, and on standardizing services. 

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP