Subject: Re: [Sipping] User and phone-context param placement in URI?

From: "James Undery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 16:18:46 +0000

>From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>

>Hello,
>
> > > We do not write sip:tel:[email-masked];user=phone because user=phone
> > > already indicates that the user part is a TEL URL. Therefore, we can
> > > omit the "tel:"
> >
> > And this URL is also just plain wrong, it says the user is tel and her 
>password is 1224.
> >
>
>The point that I was making was exactly that. The URL of the example was
>wrong.

except you should have written sip:[email-masked];user=phone, which 
was my point that your example was wrong (and has appeared in a large number 
of threads recently). It still scares me that people think that a sip uri is 
isomorpic to a tel uri, because, tel:1224 and tel:1224 are identical, yet 
sip:1224@A;user=phone and sip:1224@B;user=phone are not. I'd still repeat, 
if you want a sip uri use a sip uri, if you want a tel uri use a tel uri, it 
avoids any scope for confusion.

James

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:41:51 +0300

Hello,

> avoids any scope for confusion.

I believe that the usage of tel URLs and SIP URLs with user=phone is
pretty clear in the last version of the ISUP-SIP mapping draft. If you
believe it is not, let me know and we will clarify its usage even more
before going to WGLC.

Regards,

Gonzalo

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]