Subject: [Sipping] draft-vemuri-sip-t-context-02 nits review

From: Steve Donovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:20:22 -0400

The following comments are the result of my nits review of
draft-vemuri-sip-t-context-02.  These comments are truly nits.  

S2P9:

The following is included in the list of SIP end points:

"     c. Firewalls or edge-elements through which calls may enter the
      network from that of a peer network."

It is not clear that a firewall is a SIP end-point, as it is not originating
or terminating SIP transactions but rather is allowing them to pass through
or stopping them from passing through.  This might be better classified as a
gateway between networks.

S2P15:

The following:

"   Voice calls do not always have to originate and terminate in the PSTN
   (via MGCs). They may either originate and/or terminate in SIP phones."

might be better worded as:

"...(via MGCs).  They can also originate and terminate in SIP phones."

S3.1.2 Figure 3

The picture, as drawn, implies that the proxy is at the edge of the VoIP
network and the SIP-Phone is not a part of the VoIP network.  It might be
better to show the proxy in the middle of the VoIP network, as in Figure 2
and have the SIP-Phone at the edge, in the same way as the MGC is at the
edge.

S3.1.3 Figure 4

Same comment as for Figure 3.

S4dP2

The reference to the INFO method document should be updated to RFC2976.

References Section

There are a number of drafts mentioned in the body of the document that
should probably be included in the references section.

That's all I found...

Regards,

Steve

---
Steven R. Donovan
Architect                           dynamicsoft                         
mailto:[email-masked]     5100 Tennyson Parkway
sip:[email-masked]    Plano, Texas 75025
tel:+1-972-473-5469                 http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:26:33 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "Sipping (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>; "'Peterson, Jon'"
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Rakesh Shah" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 12:20 AM
Subject: [Sipping] draft-vemuri-sip-t-context-02 nits review

> gateway between networks.
One way to get SIP and its associated RTP through a firewall or edge-element
is to implement a B2BUA in the firewall/edge-element. The B2BUA is also used
to hide network topology (Via & Record-Routes). Adding the B2BUA qualifier
would make it technically a SIP end-point.

---

From: Jay Batson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 20:09:59 -0400

<editorial>
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Not YAB2BUA.... (Yet 
Another...)

Nancy Reagan rules.  ("Just say no.")
</editorial>

>would make it technically a SIP end-point.

-------------
PingMe!
Jay Batson
CEO
Pingtel Corp.
mailto:[email-masked]
781-938-5306 (office)