Subject: RE: [Sipping] open issue: Do we need to specify a SIP mechanism f or indicating that no BYE is needed

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:03:35 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Lei Liang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 12:53 PM
To: [email-masked]

Hi, falks,
 For a pre-arranged large scale conference which has fixed end time, do we
need a sip mechanism to indicate that no BYE is needed? Does this issue
solved or not?

[RRR] My understanding is that BYE is still needed to clear SIP cal states.
Any other comments?

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:23:51 -0700

Agreed.  There has been list discussion on this, and if for nothing else,
proxies along the way might need to see the BYE so sending a BYE is now
always required.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 11:04 AM
To: Lei Liang; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] open issue: Do we need to specify a SIP mechanism
f or indicating that no BYE is needed

-----Original Message-----
From: Lei Liang [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 12:53 PM
To: [email-masked]

Hi, falks,

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:39:38 -0500

Further I really wonder if this is ever worth dealing with.  No system I
am aware of actually cuts off a conference at a particular time.
There are plenty of systems that have such fields, but they are advisory,
and usually a conference operator gets involved before a conference is cut
off.

Brian

> Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 1:04 PM

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 23:44:10 -0500

I think the issue is really for multicast sessions, like an mbone shuttle
launch or something. In this kind of case, BYE is not really needed, since
the session is not between the caller and callee. Indeed, in the original
design of SIP, for these sessions exactly, there was no BYE at all.

That said, I think it is far easier to design for the common case, and thus
you would still send BYE in the above scenario (possibly right away), which
would terminate teh dialog, but the session would persist until the session
completion time as indicated by the SDP. The UAS would need to know to do
that, but thats inherent from the SDP. 

I think its worth documenting that somewhere.

-Jonathan R.

> From: Rosen, Brian [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 3:40 PM
> To: 'Roy, Radhika R, ALCTA'; Lei Liang; [email-masked]

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com