Subject: [Sipping] SIP events- fake notify

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:53:02 +0530

Hi,
    Is there a standard way to indicate that a NOTIFY is just for reliably
establishing a dialog, and not the NOTIFY which is triggered
based on an actual generated event?
  The NOTIFY message, may not necessarily be having a payload and may be
sent only when an event (like whenever location is home) is
triggerred. In such case,  if a fake NOTIFY is sent for 3-way handshake
(and not for actual event), there doesn't seem to be a standard
way for the subscriber to make out its a fake notify.
Or Am I missing something?

Thanks & Regards,
Seshu

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:54:09 -0600

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>

Yes; you missed the following:

"5.4.7. Notifier generation of NOTIFY requests

     This section of an event package describes the process by which
     the notifier generates and sends a NOTIFY request. This includes
     detailed information about what events cause a NOTIFY to be sent,
     how to compute the state information in the NOTIFY, how to
     generate "neutral" or "fake" state information to hide
     authorization delays and decisions from users..."

Each package is expected to come up with its own "neutral" state documents.
This is important because of the sensitive nature of some types of state
data (like presence).

/a