Subject: [Sipping] new I-D: Redirection Service capability in SIP

From: "Sanjoy Sen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:40:29 -0600

Hi Folks,

   We've submitted a new I-D on supporting redirection-information transfer
capability in SIP for supporting such services as Voicemail, ACD etc. Until
the draft appears on the reflector, it can be found at

http://www.obsidian97.com/draft-bharatia-sipping-redirect-00.txt

I'm also attaching the abstract below.

Regards,
Sanjoy

================================
Interactive Multimedia Services
Carrier VoIP
Nortel Networks
Ph: 972-685-8274, Fax: 972-685-3813
Mobile: 972-571-2062

==========
Abstract: SIP is selected as a session control protocol for many VOIP 
   applications. Hence it should provide capabilities for supporting 
   such redirection-based services as automatic call distribution for 
   call centers, third-party voicemail, follow-me service etc. The 
   concept of Call Redirection is implicit in the capabilities already 
   defined for SIP Proxies and Clients. However, in order to allow 
   redirection to be used as a component of other services (in 
   particular voicemail), and in order to facilitate inter-working with 
   existing services, these capabilities needs to operate in a 
   consistent and well-defined way, and also need to support transfer 
   of certain additional pieces of information, such as redirecting and 
   redirected-to addresses, redirecting reason, redirection counter 
   etc. This draft discusses this required set of information, 
   evaluates existing work and proposes solution to this effect.