Subject: [Sipping] Auto-SUBSCRIBE and Reverse SUBSCRIBE

From: Garland Sharratt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:42:09 -0800

Has there been any discussion around the ideas of

(1) allowing NOTIFY without a SUBSCRIBE first, i.e., a kind of
automatic/default/implicit SUBSCRIBE, or

(2) allowing a reverse SUBSCRIBE, i.e., to the party that will later
receive NOTIFYs, saying, in effect, I have subscribed you to these
events?

These would be useful in tightly-coupled interactions between two
entities, e.g., app server and media server.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 01:43:03 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Garland Sharratt [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 6:42 AM
> To: SIPPING IETF Mailing List
> Subject: [Sipping] Auto-SUBSCRIBE and Reverse SUBSCRIBE
> 
> 

This is allowed; its an "implicit" subscription, which we have discussed in
the past. Of course, the watcher and the notifier need to know about the
existence of the subscription through some other means, outside of
SUBSCRIBE.

> receive NOTIFYs, saying, in effect, I have subscribed you to these

The watcherinfo package would allow me to know that a third party
subscription has taken place for me. 

-Jonathan R.
---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com