Subject: [Sipping] More on meeting formats for SIP and SIPPING at IETF 52.

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:09:13 -0600

The ADs have been very firm in reminding us not to do "presentations of
drafts". Meeting time is for resolving open issues.

However, very brief presentations of changes in drafts based on previously
open issues is a helpful way to jumpstart discussion of the current open
issues.

We also have a farliy large number of tasks where there are either a bunch
of open issues requiring discussion, or multiple conflicting or
complementary documents have been published.

So, we're using a slightly different format for IETF 52. There are basically
two types of activities on the agenda -- what  I call "changes in"
discussions, and "topic discussions".

The "Changes in" segments are titled something like "Changes in FuBar Draft"
on the agenda. I expect these to be led by the draft author or a designated
representative, who will probably use a slide deck to start things. The
slides SHOULD cover (in the minimal appropriate detail) changes made to the
document since its last revision or the last time it was discussed in a
meeting. The slides SHOULD also recap any issues currently believed open.
Discussion SHOULD focus on whether the changes have resolved the issues
and/or opened any new ones, and on closing open issues. The slides MAY also
address workplanning -- as in "how are we going to resolve the open issues",
but SHOULD NOT be focused on this aspect.

The topic discussions are titled something like "FuBar discussion" on the
agenda. These will probably be led by one or more of the individuals whose
names are associated with that segment on the agenda. These individuals MAY
have prepared slides to assist with the discussion. These slides MUST NOT be
general tutorials or introductions of a specific draft. When there are
multiple individuals covering a topic, those individuals SHOULD coordinate
their slides and overage of the topic.

Please note that some topics will have linkages to topics outside of SIP and
SIPPING. You MAY mention the linkage, but in general, we MUST NOT go outside
of the appropriate scpe of our WGs.

And, when it's all over with, all slides MUST be sent to me for inclusion in
the proceedings. They MAY be sent to me before the meeting, in which case
I'll TRY (hey, TRY isn't in RFC 2026, must be a bug) to get them posted
before the meeting.

If you have any questions, please contact me as early as possible. I'll be
arriving Sunday night around2300, am styaing in Lttle America (as Dean
Willis or possibly Edward Willis name) and my US mobile +1 2214 244 3703
should work in Utah.

Thank you all, and may this be the best organized chaos we've had yet!

--
Dean Willis

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:38:44 -0600

Oops. I doubled a keystroke -- that mobile, should you need it is +1 214 
244 3703.

Thanks, Jim!

--
Dean