Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:43:25 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE): A 
                          Methodology for Nettwork Address Translator (NAT)    
                          Traversal for the Session Initiation
                          Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2003-2-26
	
This document describes a methodology for Network Address Translator
(NAT) traversal for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). This
methodology is called Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE).
ICE is not a new protocol, but rather makes use of existing
protocols, such as Simple Traversal of UDP Through NAT (STUN),
Traversal Using Relay NAT (TURN) and even Real Specific IP (RSIP).
ICE works through the mutual cooperation of both endpoints in a SIP
dialog. By having the endpoints work together in NAT traversal, a
number of important properties are obtained. ICE always works,
independent of the types or number of NATs. It always represents the
cheapest solution for a carrier. It always results in the minimum
voice latency. It can be done with no increase in call setup delays.
It is far less brittle than STUN. ICE also facilitates the transition
of the Internet from IPv4 to IPv6, supporting calls between
dual-stack and v6 clients behind a 4to6 NAT. Preconditions can be
used in conjunction with ICE, to guarantee that the phone never rings
unless the users will both hear and see each other when they pick up.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.