Subject: [Sipping] Facing Up to Realities in SIP Deployments in Carrier networks

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:45:05 -0500

I urge you to read:
http://www.vasaforum.org/Docs/SIPRFIAnalysisFinal-Web1202.doc

It contains a sobering assessment of where we are in SIP deployment
in carrier networks.  Of course, carrier networks are not the
only place SIP has a place, but this assessment still rings of
truth to me beyond this specific market, and spurs me to ask what 
we in the IETF SIPish community can do to address the issues this 
report cites.

First, read it.  Then we can talk.

Brian
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:46:26 -0500

>First, read it.  Then we can talk.

Brian ..why would anything in this report suprise you ..its essentially 
written by and for existing carriers who essentially look at VoIP as 
cannibalistic to their existing revenue streams. Where SIP is deploying in 
competitive greenfield carrier environments such as Yahoo/Japan, Vonage, 
China etc its working very well and we all have heard of extremely positive 
user experiences from ordinary consumers.

I can almost agree with some the LEC's, to them there is no justification 
for SIP. Why should they engineer themselves out of monopoly profits ( and 
jobs ) to provide real and tangeable consumer benefits of lower costs and 
greater choice of services when the existing regulatory environment does 
not reward them for doing so..

I agree there are still major issues here ..DTMF,  E911 and other 
government mandated services..

and If I hear any more whining about OoS from people who have never made a 
SIP phone call I'm just going to scream..

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<