Subject: [Sipping] results from the sipdev Adhoc thursday morning

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 02:28:54 -0700

Hi,

Henry Sinnreich organized an adhoc meeting Thursday morning to discuss 
an open issue in an individual draft related to SIPPING which was 
consuming a lot of list traffic. His document is an informational 
individual draft (not the product of the SIP or SIPPING WGs) designed 
to capture guidance from a group of implementors on what is useful to 
implement in a SIP telephony device 
(draft-sinnreich-sipping-sipdev-01.txt).

This following folks attended the adhoc:

Henry Sinnreich - henry.sinnreichATmci.com
Christian Stredicke - csATsnom.de
John Elwell - john.elwellATsiemens.com
JF Rey - jean-francois.reyATbst.bsf.alcatel.fr
Peter Darling - p.darlingATacif.org.au
Steven Lass - steven.lassATmci.com
Makoto Saito - ma.saitoATntt.com
Scott Huddle - scott.huddleATmci.com
Atte Monrad - atte.monradATericsson.com
Georg Mayer - georg.mayerATnokia.com
Peter Kozdon - pkozdonATieee.org
Wilhelm Wimmreuter - wilhelmATwimmreuter.de
Lawrence Conroy - lwcATroke.co.uk
Arnoud van Wijk - a.vwijkATviataal.nl
Rohan Mahy - rohanATcisco.com
Eric Burger - e_burgerATieee.org
Cullen Jennings - fluffyATcisco.com
David Oran - oranATcisco.com
Wolfgang Beck - beckwATt-systems.com
Dan Petrie - dpetrieATpingtel.com
Bob Hughes - rchughesATus.ibm.com
Guido Gybels - guido.gybelsATrnid.org.uk
Richard Stastny - richard.stastnyAToc.tcg.at

The group proposed the following text be incorporated in to the sipdev 
draft for accessibility purposes:

1.
SIP telephony devices which include a display, or have a facility for 
connecting an external display, MUST include protocol support for 
RFC2793 for real-time interactive text.
(strong consensus, with a few objectors requesting SHOULD strength 
instead)

2.
SIP telephony devices SHOULD provide a way to input text and display 
text through any reasonable method. Built-in user interfaces, standard 
wired or wireless interfaces, and/or support for text through a web 
interface are all considered reasonable mechanisms. In addition, SIP 
telephony devices SHOULD provide an external standard wired or wireless 
interface or interfaces to connect external input and display devices.
(unanimous consent)

3.
A SIP telephony device MAY provide analog adaptor functionality through 
an RJ-11 (FXS) port. If an RJ-11 (FXS) port is provided, then it MAY 
support a gateway function from text telephone protocols to RFC-2793 
text messaging (in fact this is encouraged in the near term). If this 
gateway function is not included or fails, the device MUST pass-through 
all text-telephone protocols in a transparent fashion according to 
[insert ref here].
(strong consensus with a few objections)	

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP