Subject: [Sipping] New status for conference package ?

From: Marjou Xavier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 10:27:17 +0200

The draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-01 indicates 4 statuses concerning the status user in the conference: active, departed, booted, and failed.

Suppose a user-A invites (via a focus) a group made of user-B and user-C. If user-B immediatly accepts the call, while user-B takes time to answer, it would be nice to be able to update SIP terminals of user-A and user-B with the information that user-C is beeing invited. Why not define a new "pending" status for it ?

Xavier

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:35:56 -0400

Marjou Xavier wrote:

> The draft-ietf-sipping-conference-package-01 indicates 4 statuses
> concerning the status user in the conference: active, departed,
> booted, and failed.
> 
> Suppose a user-A invites (via a focus) a group made of user-B and
> user-C. If user-B immediatly accepts the call, while user-B takes
> time to answer,

I think you mean user-C takes time to answer.

> it would be nice to be able to update SIP terminals
> of user-A and user-B with the information that user-C is beeing
> invited. Why not define a new "pending" status for it ?

Right now, "active" would cover that. The text says active means that 
the DIALOG is active. That occurs the moment a non-100 1xx comes from 
the invited user - i.e., while they are ringing.

However, I agree this doesnt make sense. We already have dialog 
information attached, from which you can get dialog status. What we 
need here is conferencing application status. I think what you are 
looking for is a status like "attempting to add". A user could be in 
this state even if there is not a SIP call attempt in progress. For 
example, the server policy might be to periodically (say, every 5m) 
call the user if the previous attempt failed. Throughout this 
potentially long period of attempts, the status would be "attempting 
to add".

This is probably different still from the case where a user dials in, 
but the moderator needs to approve them to join the conference. Here, 
their sip dialog is active, but they are connected to a music on hold 
source. However, the conference state is "awaiting moderator approval".

So, unless there are objections, I'll:

* change active to refer to participation, not dialog state

* add "attempting to add" and "awaiting moderator approval" as 
additional states.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com