Subject: [Sipping] WGLC for draft-ietf-sipping-qsig2sip-01

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:06:06 -0700

I had volunteered for the formal review of draft-ietf-sipping-qsig2sip-01.

I have a few technical comments (somewhat minor), and a few editorial
comments.

Technical
---------

- Section 8.3.1, page 19
  
  5th paragraph: Add ", unless the gateway is aware that in-band information
  will not be used" to the end of the paragraph. The reason for this is that
  there are cases where the gateway may have a priori-knowledge that in-band
  tones and announcements are not used; and out-of-band ALERTING or 
  fast connection (i.e., no PROGRESS and no ALERTING) is always
  used for example. In that case, there is no reason to reject the call with

  488 if the SDP was not included in the INVITE.

- Section 8.3.5, page 21

  This section mandates the inclusion of SDP in 18x response. This may not
be
  possible, or even required. For example, it is very common for PBXs not to
  know at the time of rigning where a call will be terminated (i.e., which 
  user): this applies to features such as "hunt group", as well as "multiple

  line appearances". In those cases, it may be impossible for the gateway 
  to include an SDP in the 18x, because it does not know yet whitch media
  gateway resource will be used. Furthermore, it is against the spirit of
  the offer-answer model and SIP to mandate that the SDP must be included
  in the 18x response (it could be in 200 OK for example). 

  Paragraphs 3 and 4 shall thus be modified as follows: "...SDP answer 
  information SHOULD be included in the SIP 18x provisional response if
  the SDP information is available."

- Section 8.3.5, page 22, NOTE 3

  Remove NOTE 3 since the the INVITE will not necessarily be rejected (as
  per the comment on 8.3.1 above).

- Section 8.3.6, page 23, NOTE 3

  Remove NOTE 3 since the the INVITE will not necessarily be rejected (as
  per the comment on 8.3.1 above).

Editorial
---------

- I belive the Footer should say "Elwell et al." instead of "Elwell et alia"

- A number of Figures are cut on page boundaries. It would be more readable
  if they were not cut on page boundary.

- Throughout the document, do a "search-and-replace" of 
  - û for -
  - ö for "
  - ô for "

- Section 8.2.1.3, page 13
  For clarity, add the words "in-band" after the words "MAY supply" on the
  third line of the first bulleted item.

- Section 8.3.1, page 19, in NOTE 2
  For clarity, add the words "in-band" after "to ensure that" on the fifth
line.

- Section 8.3.6, page 22, Note 1
  For clarity, reword to "In this case, SDP answer information is expected
in
  the SIP ACK, as described in 13.2.1/[10].

- Section 10.1, page 35
  Replace æaudioÆ with "audio" in 2 locations. Replace .-law with mu-law.