Subject: [Sipping] Betr.: Real time streaming text conversations

From: "A vWijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:59:35 +0200

Hello Cullen.

Good to "hear" that you agree. :-)

About IM, I agree. character by character is not going to kill IM.
I already told a few IM people that such real-time streaming text can be added as a "chat" option.
So that I can for example fire off a few IM messages about something. And the other side reacts and we then both enter chat mode to discuss the proceedings.
Will this become popular? Oh yes, think of the good old days before HTML. What was one of the most used functions of the web? IRC and ntalk/talk.

About the sipdev meeting. Well yes, a MUST is very good. But I see it as the beginning. The first step. We still have a lot of work to do. And a paper explaining to phone manufactures that implementing this requirement gives them a competitive advantage because everyone is going to want it. Is a very good idea.
Do you mean a kind of Internet draft or white paper? 
But I am quite willing to help and I am positive that others will help too.

Greetz

Arnoud

PS Currently a BCP is being written, though that is more about implementation itself.

Drs. Arnoud A. T. van Wijk
Viataal
Research & Development
Afdeling RDS
Theerestraat 42
5271 GD Sint-Michielsgestel
The Netherlands.
Mobile: +31651921948
International text telephone: +31735588408

>>> Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]> 24-07-03 23:47 >>>
On 7/13/03 5:08, "A vWijk" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I just want to give them a very clear message how important real-time
> streaming text conversation will be for hundred of millions of users. And
> while it will be vitally important for the hearing and speech impaired, other
> users will also benefit from this capability. (RFC 2793 text in every SIP
> telephony device, regardless presence of a keyboard or screen).
> 
> greetz
> 
> Arnoud van Wijk
>

I think this is a very good message to get out. The hearing and speech
impaired community has significant experience with using text messaging to
communicate as quickly as possible. This community resoundingly says that
character by character improves the communication experience. I can not see
any reason that this same fact will not apply to anyone using IM.

The hearing and speech impaired community should make sure that the SIMPLE
and XMPP WG understand that IM systems should include an option of character
by character sending and display of messages.
 
The details of how this is implemented are really less important (yah I know
the folks like 3GPP will need a bandwidth efficient way of doing this).

Cullen

PS. IMHO, The IETF putting a MUST in some random document is less likely to
make this happen than a bunch of highly qualified people writing a document
that explains to phone manufactures that implementing this requirement gives
them a competitive advantage because everyone is going to want it.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP