Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: Comment on GRUU requirements

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:07:32 -0500

Alan Johnston [mailto:[email-masked]] writes:

> If we do not use a GRUU in a Contact, then it will not help solve the 
> attended transfer problem or the conferencing application - 
> both of these use the Contact URI.

Admittedly I haven't given this a whole lot of thought
yet, so it might not make perfect sense... but... can't
we solve these cases by using a new header and making such
applications GRUU aware?

I have to admit that the property that all requests in a
dialog are required to go through my GRUU server just
because I happen to support GRUUs seems a bit intrusive.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:13:41 -0400

> we solve these cases by using a new header and making such

That was what I had in mind, yes.

Attended transfer, it seems, already needs to be aware of how to get a 
GRUU. The current draft has a whole slew of mechanisms for doing it, 
the aim would be that the GRUU approach would replace those mechanisms.

Similarly in cc-conferencing, it already talks about using the 
contact, so now it could talk about using the gruu in this other header.

I don't think we have so much of either of these deployed that this 
cannot change.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com