Subject: Re: [Sipping] Comments on draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-00.txt - 3: Fetching of Information

From: "Daniel G. Petrie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:33:13 -0400

I think that in an enterpise or carrier scenario whith fixed phones,
it is a desireable requirement that the UAs  maintain a subscription
so that the config server knows the device is still aournd and how
it is configured and perhaps most importantly, be able to update the
config when desired.  I think that this is a SHOULD requirement.  I have
no issues with making this softer for wireless or suggesting that it
be configurable.

The config server MUST implement RFC 3265 which would
allow SUBSCRIBE with Expires of zero.   The draft should not be
indicating otherwise.

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> another one on information fetching:
>
> The draft proposes that the subscription is kept alive. From point of view of a wireless terminal - with limited resources - it is not desirable to be mandated to keep a subscription for a service alive, although the service configuration data is not going to change very frequently. The user should therefore have the possiblity to fetch the information once (i.e. Expires=0 in SUBSCRIBE). If one of the services fails, the user can fetch again. This should be an option - other users may want to subscribe permanently to the event package.
>
> Cheers
> Georg
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP