Subject: [Sipping] RTP denial of service

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:18:45 -0400

Folks,

I'd like to draw your attention to the following I-D that I submitted
recently:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-mmusic-rtp-denialofservice-00.txt

This draft describes a denial-of-service attack using RTP. This attack
can be launched using any protocol that uses an offer/answer-like SDP
exchange, including SIP and RTSP. The attack is particularly 
troublesome in sip, as it is easy to launch and has excellent 
amplification properties.

The draft proposes ICE 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-ice-00.txt) 
as a solution to the problem.

I posted a similar note to mmusic. Discussion should probably happen 
there, but I felt this topic would be of interest to folks in sipping 
who may not subscribe to mmusic.

Comments welcome.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP