Subject: [Sipping] WGLC for Q.SIP-SIP mapping draft

From: Stach Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:43:18 +0200

Hello John,
I had a detailed look into the qsig2sip draft, and found only some minor
issues, which can easily be clarifed. In my opinion the draft is mature and
should take its way onwards.

In Section 8.1 4th para is stated:
"The processing of any valid QSIG message that does not satisfy any of 
these conditions is outside the scope of this specification."
This seems to be a little bit vague for somebody not familiar with QSIG. 
Since the interworking only comprises QSIG Basic Call, you could be more
specific and mention the unconsidered features provided by ISO 11582 by
adding:
"This includes a QSIG SETUP message intended to establish a call-independent
signalling connection and  connectionless transport as specified in [3]."

The QSIG SETUP message may optionally transport HLC and LLC Information
elements which are not mentioned in the draft. You might want to add
something like into section 10:
"The gateway SHOULD (or SHALL(?)) not include a Low layer compatibility in
the QSIG SETUP message. The gateway SHOULD not include a High layer
compatibility information element in the QSIG SETUP message.
NOTE: Inclusion of a HLC in the QSIG SETUP message might be useful, if the
gateway knows prior to sending the QSIG SETUP message that fax is being
transmitted (e.g., because of a corresponding SDP offer), it may include in
the QSIG SETUP message a High layer compatibility information element
indicating group 3 fax."

Editorial nits & bits:
Page 2: new www address of ECMA www.ecma-international.org

There are spurious non-ASCII characters in the text. I found some at the
following places:
Captions of all figures 1-14 just after the figure numbers.
Captions of all tables 1-4 just after the table numbers.
Page 13: Section 8.2.1.1 4th para last line after "value 28 ô" and "(address
incomplete)ö" 
Page 13: Section 8.2.1.3 2nd para: delete the comma in (e.g., ring-back
tone) 
Page 35: caption of table 3 p. 35 "for æaudioÆ transfer" 
Page 35: in table 4 replace .-law by mu-law
Page 39: The references in section 13 show non-ASCII in items 1,13,14 (2x),
17, 19
Page 40: "Annex A (informative) û Example ...", see also the corresponding
line in the TOC (page 4)

Figures 1, 3, 5, 6 (caption), 8, 9, 11, 12 are stretching across a page
break. May be you want to start them on top of the next page. 

Figure 9 shows unnecessary line breaks between "IP" and "NETWORK" and before
">|4" and "|5" 

RFC 3261 is references by its item number from the Reference list i.e. [10]
as well as by "RFC-3261" (4x). May be you want to change the latter also to
[10].
There are several orphan headings/widow lines on the bottom/top of a page.
May be you want to put them on top/bottom of the next/previous page.
E.g. 8.2.1.1, 8.2.2.1, 8.2.2.2.2., 8.2.2.2.6, 9.1.3.1, 11, 13 (e-mail
address)

Regards
Thomas