Subject: [Sipping] Reminder about list policy

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: 28 Jul 2003 15:01:58 -0500

Since Gonzalo is on vacation, I'm filling in and doing mailman
administration for the SIPPING list.

Normally, this involves deleting about 50 spam messages aday.

However, I just "approved" a bunch of real SIPPING messages that had
gotten flagged for moderator approvals.

NOTE: If you post a message to the list, and it doesn't seem to "go
through", it MAY be becuse something about the message got sent it to
the moderator and the moderator hasn't gotten to it yet. It is generally
not necessary to resubmit the message, especially a few hundred times .
. . If these seems to be happening to you , the following may help.

I observed three common causes for these messages to have gone to the
moderator.

1) The messages appear to be from people who are working in SIPPING, but
were not posted from accounts subscribed to the SIPPING list. If you
post from an account thats's not subscribed, your message goes to the
moderator for approval.

2) The messages were too long, as in > 40KB. Please, folks, don't just
keep hitting "reply" on a monster thread. Excerpt out the part's you're
commenting on, and attribute them correctly, as in: 

--------------

Bozo the Clown said:
> Yesterday I was gluing on my nose, and thought this might
> qualify me to join the IESG. After all, they all seem to 
> have their noses glued on pretty well.

Thanks, Bozo, and welcome to the IETF! Glad to have you with us. What
sort of adhesive do you use, and where can I buy some?

---------------

3) The recipient list was too large. I'm not sure exactly what the
threshold is, but again this grows when people do a "reply all" on a hot
topic. If you're engaging in a major discourse, try limiting the "To"
field to just the mailing list address plus the address of the person
you're responding to.

Thanks, all!

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP