Subject: [Sipping] FYI: RADIUS & SIP

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 03:44:49 -0400

Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> would like to know about people and 
companies that care about SIP and RADIUS (for authentication). There is 
an attempt afoot to rationalize RADIUS-related efforts within the IETF, 
but there seems to be a lack of representation from SIP folks, as per 
the note to the radius-authors mailing list:

"I was not clear about the need for SIP/RADIUS work. Apparently there is
ongoing deployment of I-Ds (e.g. the Sterman draft on RADIUS attributes
for HTTP Digest Authentication), so perhaps standardization would be
valuable in documenting what is in use. On the other hand, I also heard 
that "there
isn't much commercial interest." Note sure what to make of this, perhaps
someone can clarify."

Henning

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:02:17 +0300

I guess Bernard is asking in relation with the Diameter Multimedia 
Application that I was presenting at IETF 57.

Slides:
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IETF57/AAA/IETF-57-Diameter-Multimedia-Application.ppt

And the draft,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-belinchon-aaa-diameter-mm-app-01.txt

Regards,

       Miguel

-- 
Miguel-Angel Garcia                     Oy LM Ericsson AB
                                         Jorvas, Finland
mailto:[email-masked]     Phone:  +358 9 299 3553
mailto:[email-masked]        Mobile: +358 40 5140002

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:05:48 -0400

No, the discussion is about RADIUS, not DIAMETER. The goal is to 
identify issues that affect deployment of services in existing RADIUS 
installations, not whether DIAMETER will replace RADIUS or how to use 
DIAMETER.