Subject: [Sipping] SIP and AAA open questions and RADIUSEXT meeting

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:57:00 -0500

Let's revisit where we are on the SIP-AAA work. Or at least where I THINK we
are, so please help me get this right.

1) We have a requirements draft.
http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-ietf-sipping-aaa-req-03.txt

2) We have a RADIUS draft that is VERY expired, but 
variations are widely implemented:
http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-sterman-aaa-sip-00.txt

3) There's a DIAMETER draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-aaa-diameter-sip-app-00.txt

Actually, there are a lot of DIAMETER-related drafts dealing with SIP.

4) There's a RADIUS Accounting draft from Henning et al, which I seem to
have misplaced the text of.

We seem to have a consensus to do at least some work in standardizing RADIUS
usage. It appears that the likeliest way forward is to conclude on the
Sterman draft. We also seem to have an interest (if not consensus yet) in
doing something to help with accounting for SIP operations using RADIUS.

Bernard Aboba, chairing the RADIUSEXT work, would like to know what if
anything we would like RADIUSEXT to include on their agenda for the November
meeting. It looks like they MIGHT be meeting Friday morning (agendas do
change).

I'm thinking:

1) The Sterman-AAA draft:
Any volunteers to present and lead the discussion for this in RADIUSEXT?

I believe we have a consensus to proceed with this draft in SIPPING of
RADIUSEXT doesn't want to take the lead. I would propose that the work be
jointly reviewed.

2) The RADIUS Accounting draft:
Any volunteers to present and lead the discussion for this in RADIUSEXT? 

Thanks.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:40:02 -0500

I am afraid I may get ruled out of scope, but maybe we could also extend an
invitation to the authors of numerous Wi-Fi - RADIUS authors and
implementers, since it appears we may have a power combo in SIP-RADIUS and
802.1x, please see for example
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/download/802.1X-2001.pdf  Just to have
a more complete background information about the synergies here and the
consistent approach this promises.

At least we should be aware of the synergy here in some of the proposed
SIP-RADIUS I-Ds and the common AAA infrastructure with Wi-Fi Internet
access.

Out of scope? Sure...

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich

MCI
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

Have you disconnected the PBX?
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Dean Willis
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 3:57 PM
To: 'sipping'
Cc: 'Bernard Aboba'
Subject: [Sipping] SIP and AAA open questions and RADIUSEXT meeting

I'm thinking:

Thanks.

--
Dean

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:50:09 -0700 (PDT)

> have misplaced the text of.

I believe it is:
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-schulzrinne-sipping-radius-accounting-00.txt

> Any volunteers to present and lead the discussion for this in RADIUSEXT?

Volunteers should send me email so I can put you on the agenda.