Subject: RE: [Sipping] SIP and AAA open questions and RADIUSEXT meeting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:30:08 +0300

Hi Henry,

> It is true and regrettable that though practically all deployed and soon to
> deploy mobile services use RADIUS, there is a lack of volunteers to write
> the required documents for AAA-SIP.

If vendors or carriers feel this is an important, they should provide
resources to get it standardized.

> This is however orthogonal to the merits of RADIUS vs. DIAMETER that has
> been discussed to saturation on this list. Service providers have clearly
> stated their desire for SIP-RADIUS to be properly documented. Maybe the
> existing specs are just good enough - as attested by reported deployments -
> so people are just using -sterman-aaa-sip-00.txt and keep working on their
> the day jobs?

Then the IETF doesn't need to do anything, I guess.  If this is really 
important to service providers, they'd demand their vendors provide
an interoperable spec.  If vendors were motivated, I am sure they
could allocate someone to get it done.  If noone wants to put any effort
to get it done, I sure don't want to waste my time.  I don't think that
the IETF has spare resources ...

John

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:15:14 -0700 (PDT)

> the IETF has spare resources ...

Agreed.  If individuals can't be identified who are qualified and
committed to the work, there's no point in discussing whether it should be
a WG work item or not.  Without a champion, drafts tend to become a "ward
of the state" and personally, I've got all the "draft orphans" I can
handle.