Subject: [Sipping] user=phone discussion

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:27:44 -0700

Hi Folks,

I just submitted an I-D summarizing my proposal wrt user=phone.  Until  
it appears in the archive, you can find it on softarmor:

http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-mahy-sipping-user-equals- 
phone-00.txt
http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-mahy-sipping-user-equals- 
phone-00.html

many thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:33:44 -0700

Excellent.

Minor typos:

- In section 2, replace "Illegally formatted URIs?" with "Illegally
formatted URIs:"

- In section 9, replace "Francios" with "Francois" (everybody does this:
don't know why...)

- In the References section, update reference [4] to
draft-ietf-iptel-rfc2806bis-02 (not 
  bis-00: your date is OK however)

Minor Comments:

- Section 5: I can't find anywhere the convention that E is used to
represent "*" and 
  F is used to represent "#". Can you explain where this comes from? In
every single
  source I see (including Q.23), the characters are written as is. In any
case, 2806-bis 
  already states that the characters '*' and '#' can be used as is in a
local-number tel 
  URI (see phonedigit-hex in ABNF), so there is no need for the E/F
convention in the first 
  place. In orther words, tel:*1234#;phone-context=alice.example.com and
  sip:@1234#;phone-context=[email-masked];user=phone
are already
  legal.

- Section 3: FYI, another more obvious example of conflict beyond the
Compuserve example 
  is that [email-masked] could mean either a phone number in New Mexico
(US Area
  Code 505) or a phone number in Nicaragua (Country code 505). They both use
a 
  7-digit number after the (505) so it wouldn't be resolvable with the
length of the
  number as people often try to do. This is a real example, not a
speculation.

- Section 4: <context> and <sipserver> are independent and don't need to
share the 
  same domain name. All the examples use .example.com for both. But it would
be perfectly
  valid to have
sip:1234;phone-context=[email-masked];user=phone. This
  is obvious to most of us, but perhaps not to everybody.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rohan Mahy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 10:28
> To: [email-masked]'
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] user=phone discussion
> 
> 
> Hi Folks,
> 

many thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP