Subject: [Sipping] app interaction framework: path forward?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:29:56 -0400

Folks,

I've submitted an update to the app interaction framework. Until it 
appears in the archives, you can pick it up as:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sipping-app-interaction-framework-00.txt

This represents a pretty substantial change since the last version. 
Based on list discussions and input from a number of people, the draft 
proposes a compromise position around carrying DTMF which I am hoping 
we can move forward with.

The essence of the proposal is that it explicitly recogznies two 
different models - presentation capable user interfaces, such as 
html/wml/voicexml that have a presentation component, and presentation 
free user interfaces, such as kpml, that don't. For the latter, the 
idea is that the application will issue a SUBSCRIBE request, on a new 
dialog, towards the UA (using the GRUU). The body of the SUBSCRIBE 
contains the KPML. the NOTIFY messages contain information on what 
keys were pressed.

For presentation aware URI, the application will send the UA a REFER 
request, sent on a separate dialog, to the GRUU for the user. The 
Refer-To header field contains an HTTP URI pointing to the markup to 
fetch. Once fetched, its normal HTTP operations of posting data and 
getting a new document.

As a consequence of this, there is no longer an App-Info header field. 
I think thats a good thing. It allows for an application to push UI 
components to the UA at any time, without needing to piggyback ontop 
of messages in the context of the original dialog.

The document is a bit rough around the edges, but it conveys this 
proposal in some detail. Once we have consensus around it, I can fill 
in the missing details in the draft (examples and the sip event package).

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP