Subject: [Sipping] FW: Protocol Action: 'Securely Available Credentials Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:13:35 -0600

This is Something to Think About.

What would we need to do to take advantage of the SACRED work in order to
secure SIP systems? How will this relate to our identity and authentication
models?

--
Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 10:07 AM
To: IETF-Announce:
Cc: Internet Architecture Board; RFC Editor; [email-masked]
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Securely Available Credentials Protocol' to
Proposed Standard 

The IESG has approved the following documents:

- 'Securely Available Credentials Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-sacred-protocol-bss-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard
- 'Securely Available Credentials - Credential Server Framework '
   <draft-ietf-sacred-framework-07.txt> as an Informational RFC

These documents are products of the Securely Available Credentials Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Steve Bellovin and Russ Housley.

Technical Summary

Certificates and other cryptographic credentials are ungainly things, not 
suitable to human memorization.  While smart cards and the like are one 
possible solution, they're not widely deployed or used for general-purpose
computing.  The SACRED protocol permits remote storage and retrieval of 
such credentials.

Working Group Summary

There was working group consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

This protocol was reviewed for the IESG by Steve Bellovin

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP