Subject: RE: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or somet hing like that)

From: "Brian Stucker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:40:41 -0600

Rohan,

Skimmed your draft and have a question... By using the content-disposition
header it seems that we're requiring the request/response to contain
content. In the case where a user agent receives an INVITE with no SDP in it
(slow start call) it would seem that they'll use some sort of default
alerting mechanism until they get the SDP setup (which may not happen until
the 200 OK/ACK). In the case of your draft it would seem that this means the
client may ring one way, then suddenly switch and ring a different way
because it's not aware that there's going to be some alert information in
the future.

Am I correct, and if not, how does the draft approach this problem?

Regards,

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:08 PM
To: Rohan Mahy
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or
something like that)

Rohan,

I just got around to reading this draft. I think its neat. You say in 
your note below that its linked to app-interaction, but you don't use 
the app-interaction framework. I believe this is precisely the kind of 
thing we want to do with app-interaction - its a stimulus interface to 
the user. That means that you should be using app-info headers to 
convey the information, for example.

Indeed, there are probably existing xml formats which may even do this.

-Jonathan R.

Rohan Mahy wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I wrote the following draft in order to provide some discussion on 
> alternatives to in-band early-media ringback, and to discuss the issue 
> of playing tones in general which I believe is inherently linked to 3pcc 
> and application interaction.
> 
> http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-tones-00.html
> http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-tones-00.txt
> 
> comments welcome.
> thx,
> -r
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
> 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:47:22 -0800

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 03:40  PM, Brian Stucker wrote:

> Rohan,
>
> Skimmed your draft and have a question... By using the  
> content-disposition header it seems that we're requiring the  
> request/response to contain content. In the case where a user agent  
> receives an INVITE with no SDP in it (slow start call) it would seem  
> that they'll use some sort of default alerting mechanism until they  
> get the SDP setup (which may not happen until the 200 OK/ACK). In the  
> case of your draft it would seem that this means the client may ring  
> one way, then suddenly switch and ring a different way because it's  
> not aware that there's going to be some alert information in the  
> future.

I'm not really sure of the scope of your question, but here goes...

There is no reason you can't send ringing tones in a 18x before an  
offer/answer exchange has completed.  The two behaviors are independent.

If you want to be able to control traditional early media though, you  
really need the UAs to send early offers and answers (send an offer in  
the INVITE and an answer in a reliable 18x, or send an offer in a  
reliable 18x, send an answer in the PRACK).

I hope this answers your question.

thanks,
-rohan

> http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-tones-> 00.txt
> >
> > comments welcome.
> > thx,
> > -r
> >