Subject: RE: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or somet hing like that)

From: "Brian Stucker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:55:16 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Rohan Mahy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:47 PM
To: Stucker, Brian [NGC:B617:EXCH]
Cc: Jonathan Rosenberg; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or somet
hing like that)

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 03:40 PM, Brian Stucker wrote: 

Rohan, 

Skimmed your draft and have a question... By using the content-disposition
header it seems that we're requiring the request/response to contain
content. In the case where a user agent receives an INVITE with no SDP in it
(slow start call) it would seem that they'll use some sort of default
alerting mechanism until they get the SDP setup (which may not happen until
the 200 OK/ACK). In the case of your draft it would seem that this means the
client may ring one way, then suddenly switch and ring a different way
because it's not aware that there's going to be some alert information in
the future. 

I'm not really sure of the scope of your question, but here goes... 

There is no reason you can't send ringing tones in a 18x before an
offer/answer exchange has completed. The two behaviors are independent. 
[Stucker, Brian [NGC:B617:EXCH]]  Oh, I agree that this is acceptable. What
I was referring to are clients that start alerting the moment they get the
INVITE (the terminator, not the originator). Basically, using your draft to
ring the terminator in different ways, and not to overcome the extra early
media sessions. 

If you want to be able to control traditional early media though, you really
need the UAs to send early offers and answers (send an offer in the INVITE
and an answer in a reliable 18x, or send an offer in a reliable 18x, send an
answer in the PRACK). 

I hope this answers your question. 

thanks, 

-rohan 

Am I correct, and if not, how does the draft approach this problem? 

Regards, 

Brian 

-----Original Message----- 

From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 

Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 7:08 PM 

To: Rohan Mahy 

Cc: [email-masked]' 

Subject: Re: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or 

something like that) 

Rohan, 

I just got around to reading this draft. I think its neat. You say in 

your note below that its linked to app-interaction, but you don't use 

the app-interaction framework. I believe this is precisely the kind of 

thing we want to do with app-interaction - its a stimulus interface to 

the user. That means that you should be using app-info headers to 

convey the information, for example. 

Indeed, there are probably existing xml formats which may even do this. 

-Jonathan R. 

Rohan Mahy wrote: 

> Hi, 

> I wrote the following draft in order to provide some discussion on 

> alternatives to in-band early-media ringback, and to discuss the issue 

> of playing tones in general which I believe is inherently linked to 3pcc 

> and application interaction. 

> http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-tones-00.html 

> http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/drafts/draft-mahy-sipping-tones-00.txt 

> comments welcome. 

> thx, 

> -r 

> _______________________________________________ 

> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping 

> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP 

> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip 

> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP 

-- 

Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza 

Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711 

dynamicsoft 

[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050 

http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000 

http://www.dynamicsoft.com 

_______________________________________________ 

Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping 

This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP 

Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip 

Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP