Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: 'Best Current Practices for Third Party Call Control in the Session Initiation Protocol' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:04:07 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Best Current Practices for Third Party Call Control in the Session 
   Initiation Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-3pcc-06.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal 
Investigation Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary

      Third party call control refers to the ability of one entity to
      create a call in which communications is actually between other
      parties. Third party call control is possible using the mechanisms
      specified within the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). However,
      there are several possible approaches, each with different benefits
      and drawbacks. This document discusses best current practices for the
      usage of SIP for third party call control.

      Security and identity are important issues in third party call 
      control.  The document provides recommendations for the controller 
      to use a  credentialled identity. It also provides recommendations to 
      aid the two endpoints in the third party controlled call in gaining
      end-to-end secured media.

Working Group Summary

        There was strong working group consensus to advance this document
        it has a significant pull from the community, including 3GPP. There
        were no issues raised during IETF Last Call.   

Protocol Quality

        The document was reviewed for the IESG by Eric Rescorla and Allison 
        Mankin.   Further IESG review included a community poll regarding 
        the use of 0.0.0.0, which is divergent from other Internet usage,
        but was determined to be required due to SDP limitations.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP