Subject: [Sipping] any info about "push-to-talk" service using SIP

From: "Banibrata Dutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:13:35 +0530

hi,

i've gone thru few old posts about the push-to-talk service
that i could find via google, and it the idea that i got was
it's "just another service" and need not be discussed on the
mailing list!! also, another view was that, the service itself
is not properly defined.

wanted to know if these 2 view-points have changed since then?
has there been any effort to standardize the implementation,
or definition of this service w.r.t. SIP ?

push-to-talk, as applicable to mobile devices (i.e.
the thing i am interested in), is a half-duplex mode of
communication where a mobile user can push-a-special-button
(keep it pressed) and after a go-ahead signal (i.e. after
seizing control of the floor) can speak out. this he does
after selecting one particular individual or a group in
his/her buddy-list. buddy-list is just like in case of 
text IM clients, which may be provisioned off-line/on-line.
the addressed party, i.e. individual or group will hear
what the originator said, via their spearker-phone mode
enabled mobile devices, if they are available and connected,
else not. i.e. a best effort delivery. this is like the
walkie-talkies. only one person can have floor-control at
a time. while a floor is under control of an individual,
others can only listen, but cannot speak. they must wait
for their turn.

having given this rough description of the service, may i
know, where we are ? i.e. any standardization / draft making
effort underway (current or expired or planned) ??

another thing that i am interested in finding out is, what 
role can SIP play in this, given the fact that the target
network is basically GSM/GPRS network, and not a pure SIP 
network?

thanks & regards,
Banibrata Dutta
  Hewlett-Packard ISO Pvt. Ltd,
  29, Cunningham Road,
  Bangalore - 560052, India.
  Tel: +91-80-2051796

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Garland Sharratt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:01:51 -0800

The Open Mobile Alliance (www.openmobilealliance.org) has a large
standardization effort underway for PTT.  The project is called POC,
Push-to-talk Over Cellular.  They are using SIP over the data channel.

Regards,

Garland

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Banibrata Dutta
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 22:44
To: Sipping Mailing-List
Subject: [Sipping] any info about "push-to-talk" service using SIP

hi,

thanks & regards,
Banibrata Dutta