Subject: RE: [Sipping] profile-datasets-00

From: Simonetti Gabrielle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:19:56 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Cullen Jennings
> Sent: sabato 6 novembre 2004 2.05
> To: sipping
> Cc: Daniel Petrie; Scott Lawrence
> Subject: [Sipping] profile-datasets-00
> 
>
> I hate the forbid, set_all, set_one etc stuff in this. This is not a
> document to describe to a phone how to render a user 
> interfaces for the user
> to select how to configure the phones. It's the data that is the
> configuration for the phone.

I also think that the forbid, set_all, set_one and set_any elements serve the policy purpose and should not be defined in this document. Rather, the precise definition of the data sets (XML schemas) seems to me a more important issue. It should align in some way with session-indep-policy-01 to simplify the delivery of UA profile data based on the profile delivery framework.

It could also be useful to split the profile data in two sections, one with plain settings and the other with possible combinations of such settings, for example to force some codec to be used in concordance to an outbound proxy (acting as RTP proxy/transcoder), or when trying to set a codec from a list, some codecs may require the device to point toward such a proxy while others may use a different one.
Gabrielle

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

====================================================================
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are addressed solely to the persons
above and may contain confidential information. If you have received
the message in error, be informed that any use of the content hereof
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
[email-masked]. Thank you
====================================================================

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:14:08 -0500

> I also think that the forbid, set_all, set_one and set_any elements
> serve the policy purpose and should not be defined in this document.
> Rather, the precise definition of the data sets (XML schemas) seems to
> me a more important issue. It should align in some way with
> session-indep-policy-01 to simplify the delivery of UA profile data
> based on the profile delivery framework.

> It could also be useful to split the profile data in two sections, one
> with plain settings and the other with possible combinations of such
> settings, for example to force some codec to be used in concordance to
> an outbound proxy (acting as RTP proxy/transcoder), or when trying to
> set a codec from a list, some codecs may require the device to point
> toward such a proxy while others may use a different one.

That is exactly what the set_all, set_one and set_any constructs are
meant to accomplish.  By combining them, you can express how settings
interact.

Yes, there is overlap with policy - I'm not sure that in the real world
the two can be completely separated, and there is work to be done to
harmonize the two approaches - we've come at overlapping problems from
two different perspectives, and we all agree that there is work to do to
converge.