Subject: [Sipping] profile-datasets-00

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:04:57 -0800

This seems to have gotten tangled up into the policy work in sort of scary
way. The phone know if it supports g711 or not - what I want to configure
into my phone is what the username and AOR are, an outbound proxy, a speed
dial list, things like that.

Not clear what a UA subscribes to to get a particular dataset.

I think you intend to do this but  - we have to deal with the access control
in section 4.2 from the beginning because we won't be able to add it in a
backwards compatible way.

4.3.1 might want to expand iff

I hate the forbid, set_all, set_one etc stuff in this. This is not a
document to describe to a phone how to render a user interfaces for the user
to select how to configure the phones. It's the data that is the
configuration for the phone.

I think the scheme is more complicated that is needed or will get
implemented on low end devices.

I like the much simpler earlier versions of this work much better.

We have to address the merging issues not just leave it TBD and I suspect
that it is data specific.

I like the lists of things in section 6 - let's expand those out .

Section 7.2 - are we trying to describe phone capabilities to the server or
have the server reflect preferences to the phone or what.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:21:00 -0500

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 20:04, Cullen Jennings wrote:
> way. 

We are very much aware of the overlap, and have been discussing how to
unify them appropriately.

> The phone know if it supports g711 or not - what I want to configure

But there are a great many other things that administrators of networks
want to configure into user agents.

> Not clear what a UA subscribes to to get a particular dataset.

That is dealt with in draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework-*

> backwards compatible way

Absolutely - we just didn't get it into the -00 draft.

> 4.3.1 might want to expand iff

yes, probably.

> configuration for the phone.

The intent was certainly not to specify a user interface.  Configuring
real devices in real networks is complex - it can't be done by
specifying a bunch of separate data values.  Configuration parameters
have relationships between them, and the profile mechanism needs to be
able to express those relationships; that's what all that is about.  
The other aspect of the containers that I think is convenient is that
they express what is required or forbidden - separating that from the
expression of the data values themselves.

> that it is data specific.

In a discussion we had with several interested people in San Diego we
reached the same conclusion - and agreed with everyone that more
guidance on merging is certainly needed.

---

From: Scott Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:03:31 -0500

yes, probably.