Subject: [Sipping] Re: draft-jennings-sipping-outbound-00.txt

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:49:13 -0500

Cullen,

Great job of pulling together the semi-coherent mumblings from the last 
meeting to produce a draft that actually makes sense. A couple of small 
points:

4.4  Edge Proxies and Redirection

    Still work TODO here ...  If Alice calls Bob, the Registrar for Bob
    can send a 302 redirecting Alice to Bob's edge proxy.  TODO show how
    the path header that the edge proxy put in the Register gets copied
    to Alice and returned to the edge proxy and thus the whole thing
    works out fine.

Why invent some new mechanism for this. Alice should have requested a 
GRUU. Redirections should return the GRUU. (It may require a change to 
the gruu draft to clarify that should happen.) Use of the gruu ends up 
at proxy that is aware of registration and can use the path.

There may be optimizations to this, where the gruu itself homes on the 
edge proxy. That would make life simpler still, at least for this problem.

-----

There are corner cases that will need to be considered eventually. (But 
maybe not yet. Lets get the major issues ironed out first.)

One is if the registrar receives a registration where the instance id 
and contact address match an existing one, the connection id differs, 
and other contact parameters differ?

	Paul

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP