Subject: [Sipping] Re: draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:36:11 -0400

Folks,

I have refreshed my draft that proposes extending the reg event to 
return information on GRUUs.

Technically it is the same as the prior version. However I have updated 
the justification and especially the examples.

I've been having discussions with some IMS people. It turns out that 
there is a potential problem with adoption of GRUU by IMS. IMS has the 
notion of an implicit registration set - a set of URIs. When you 
register to one member of such a set you are also implicitly registered 
(using the same contact address) to the other members of the same set. 
This presents problems if you also ask to have a GRUU assigned - a gruu 
can be returned for the AOR URI you registered to, but there is no way 
to return gruus for the implicitly registered AORs. (Those GRUUs have to 
be different, because it is important to be able to recover what AOR it 
had been bound to.)

Using the reg event extension, an IMS subscriber can receive a 
notification that will provide info on all the implicitly registered 
URIs, including the GRUUs assigned to them.

There is opportunity here to go down a rodent hole discussing the pros 
and cons of what IMS is doing. But I hope we can avoid that.

After I submitted this, Jonathan submitted a new version of GRUU that 
includes the new form for GRUUs, using the opaque parameter. I plan to 
get another update in before the deadline, updating my examples to use 
that technique. (And to fix a bug or two in the new example.)

	Paul

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:50:02 -0400
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Reg Event Package Extension for GRUUs
	Author(s)	: P. Kyzivat
	Filename	: draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2005-7-14
	
This draft defines an extension to RFC 3680 [1] for representing the
    GRUU associated with a Contact.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kyzivat-sipping-gruu-reg-event-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONTENT ABOVE THIS LINE IS *NOT* FROM CISCO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In order to maintain computing infrastructure integrity, Cisco Systems
Enterprise Messaging Services and InfoSec teams have set a mail policy
disallowing executable attachments in email.

This message contained an executable attachment type that is prohibited
by this policy. The attachment has been removed from this message and
copied to quarantine by our systems. It will be held in quarantine for
seven days in the event that the content needs to be retrieved.

Please be aware many viruses attempt to look like legitimate email or
notifications from anti-virus systems. We will clearly mark a seperation
between our notifications and the original email as follows:

   "CONTENT ABOVE THIS LINE IS *NOT* FROM CISCO INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY"

For further reference information about viruses and email antivirus
efforts within Cisco, please visit:

http://wwwin.cisco.com/it/ems/services/antiviral

If your concern isn't addressed by the information in this notification
or the above web page, you may open a support request:

http://wwwin.cisco.com/support/

Select "Messaging", "Email-Related", "Mail Routing"

Please include in the text of your case the following information:

* Full headers of the message. Documentation on displaying the full
headers is available at this URL:

http://wwwin.cisco.com/support/library/faqs/solution002471.html

* This unique quarantine identifier: j6EJnM9K004433

If the matter is urgent, you may follow up by calling one of the below
referenced numbers. Please make every effort to provide the above
requested information via the support web tool prior to calling as it
will greatly aid the resolution of your issue.

Americas:
1 408 526 8888

Asiapac
+61 2 8446 8888

EMEA
+31 20 485 4888

Japan
+81 3 5549 6888

US (Toll Free)
1| 800| 888| 8187| (ext.68888)

Thank you for your cooperation,

Enterprise Messaging Services
Cisco Systems, Inc

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP