Subject: RE: [Sipping] Updated version from Functions of SBC draft

From: "Khan, Sohel Q [NTK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:53:52 -0500

In addition to this draft, I think we need to discuss 
draft-sohel-sipping-s-bc-concept-arch-00.txt because it addresses how
SBC functions can be integrated in the network routers and proxys.

This document illustrates various conceptual deployment scenarios of 
Session/Border Controller (S/BC). The objective is to depict a
provider's 
architectural requirements of S/BC function deployment. The document
will help the IETF community to understand that S/BC functions can be
deployed in the network in scalable approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sohel-sipping-s-bc-concept-arch-00.tx
t

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 7:56 AM
To: 'Jani Hautakorpi (JO/LMF)'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Updated version from Functions of SBC draft

This is a useful document and well worth the time.

In Section 4 "Security Considerations" there is only very cryptic
language
(no pun intended):

   Many of the functions this document describes have important security
   and privacy implications.

This needs to be properly expanded. What are for example the
vulnerabilities
if an SBC is compromised?

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Jani Hautakorpi (JO/LMF) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 4:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Updated version from Functions of SBC draft

Hi,

We have updated the "SIP-Unfriendly Functions in Current Communication 
Architectures" draft, and it can be fetched from:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-01
.txt

We've got some feedback from the area director and others, and we have 
proceeded according to the feedback.

New version of the draft concentrates strictly to those functions of SBC

that break SIP in one way or the other. We believe that it's important
to 
document these functions, and then use these as a foundation for the 
future work.

-- 
Regards,
Jani Hautakorpi

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:26:58 +0300

Hi Henry,

you are right. We need to expand the security considerations section. In 
the document, we talk about mechanisms that break end-to-end integrity 
or end-to-end authentication... we need to mention those issues again in 
the security considerations sections.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

[email-masked] wrote:
> In Section 4 "Security Considerations" there is only very cryptic language
> (no pun intended):
> 
> This needs to be properly expanded. What are for example the vulnerabilities
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs-01.txt
> 
> that break SIP in one way or the other. We believe that it's important to 

-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo         Phone :  +358  9 299 33 71
Oy L M Ericsson Ab        Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
Telecom R&D               Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
FIN-02420 Jorvas          Email :  [email-masked]
Finland                   http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo