Subject: [Sipping] Comments on draft-elwell-sipping-redirection-reason-02.txt

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:22:57 +0300

Hi,

some comments on the following draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elwell-sipping-redirection-reason-02.txt

Why do you need a new namespace for the Reason header field (i.e.,
redirection) if what you are reporting seems to be the reception of SIP
status codes?

Let's take the flow in Section 6.2:

            Alice            Proxy           Bob              Gateway
              |                |              |                   |
              |    INVITE F1   |              |                   |
              |--------------->|  INVITE F3   |                   |
              |                |------------->|                   |
              |(100 Trying) F2 |              |                   |
              |<---------------|              |                   |
              |                |  486 Busy    |                   |
              |                |   here F4    |                   |
              |                |<-------------|                   |
              |                |    ACK F5    |                   |
              |                |------------->|                   |
              |                |              |    INVITE F6      |
              |                |--------------------------------->|

The entry in the History-Info header field in F6 should contain a Reason
of 486 Busy, because that is what was received from Bob... but instead,
you propose a new namespace to say exactly the same thing (i.e., "Call
Forward Busy").

What do you gain by defining the new namespace if you are conveying
information that was actually received in a SIP status code?

Thanks,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP