Subject: [Sipping] What happened to all the good ideas?

From: "Tschofenig, Hannes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 15:12:29 +0200

Hi all, 

before the IETF#65 meeting a long and interesting discussion was
triggered by Dean's message entitled as "Principle of Dividing and
Conquering" (see
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip/current/msg12997.html). Many
suggestions were made and also the idea of (somehow) finding more
document reviewers was repeately mentioned (as an alternative to just
beating the document authors/editors).

Sure, these discussions happened before the IETF meeting were everyone
is excited about getting things done. 

So, what happened to the idea of early reviews? I could suggest some
documents for review :-)

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:26:03 -0500

We are starting on a small scale in SIPPING by addressing the most
mature documents and hopefully will work up to have a schedule/review
plan for all the WG documents.  I had posted a note about this a few
weeks back associated with the review for draft-ietf-gruu-reg-event:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg10776.html

Oscar is in the process of setting up the information on softarmor and
we'll announce to the list once it's there.   There is a strawman
(slightly out of date as the configuration framework documents are now
under review) available at to give you an idea of what we have in mind: 
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.barnes/IETF/sipping-rt.html (Note, you may
have to scroll right to see everything and you access the reviews by
clicking on the reviewer name)

These are the strawman Guidelines:
http://home.comcast.net/~mary.barnes/IETF/sipping-review-guidelines.html
(All the links in this don't work, as they're setup for when things are
on softarmor) 

The idea of starting on a smaller scale is to gather feedback and see
how things work before putting alot of effort into it.  

As far as what documents we need to first review, the SIPPING WG charter
is also very out of date, so that should also be updated soon.  Feedback
on what you view to be high priority is certainly welcome.  

If you're volunteering to be on the review team, we'll gladly add you to
the list:)   Again, we are starting this gradually by adding folks to
the team as we assign reviewers.  

Note, at this point, I'm only speaking for SIPPING, thus I've not copied
SIP on this response.  Part of the idea here, as well, is to figure out
what information could be enhanced in the IETF tools - in the ID
tracker, so alot of this can be automated and directly accessed there.
As Allison had mentioned at the RAI meeting, there are plans to add
additional WG relevant status information to the ID Tracker.  By going
through this process on a smaller scale within SIPPING, we should get a
reasonable idea of reasonable enhancements to the tools, such as
tracking detailed reviews. [As an aside, this is something we've
discussed doing for the gen-art process].  

So, feedback is certainly welcome on this proposal - again, this is a
first pass strawman on how to manage these reviews.

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Tschofenig, Hannes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 8:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; Sipping
Subject: [Sip] What happened to all the good ideas?

Hi all, 

Ciao
Hannes

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 09:43:35 -0500

Hi all,

Oscar now has this all setup on softarmor.  Here's a link to the
directory where that information is being maintained:
http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/process/review_procedure.html

The guidelines has embedded links to the other documents and that should
help you understand their context and purpose:
http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/process/wg-review/sipping-review-guidel
ines.html

Feedback on the format of the data and the basic guidelines would be
appreciated. Note, that depending upon your window size, you may need to
scroll to see all the data.    

If this basic approach seems reasonable, we'd also appreciate that
feedback.  We'd like to go ahead and populate the spreadsheet with the
other WG documents to provide the timeframes for progressing that work,
as well. 

Mary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Barnes, Mary [RICH2:B601:EXCH] 
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 9:26 PM
To: Tschofenig, Hannes; Sipping
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] RE: [Sip] What happened to all the good ideas?

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Tschofenig, Hannes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 8:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; Sipping
Subject: [Sip] What happened to all the good ideas?

Hi all, 

Ciao
Hannes