Subject: [Sipping] terminology in draft-ietf-sipping-v6-transition-02.txt

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:55:49 -0600

Hi, 

First, thanks for putting this draft together.

I would highly recommend aligning the terminology section more closely
with the one in RFC 4213, and even referring to it for definitions like
IPv6-only or IPv4-only hosts (there is no need to redefine those terms
with slight changes in my opinion).

This may just be nits but I'm looking at the case of a SIP IPv4/IPv6
node that has only one stack enabled and while I can fit this case in
the definitions of RFC 4213, it's difficult to do it with your
definitions.
 
What may be confusing me in your draft is:
	- the mix in your definitions between the level of
implementation of IPv4, IPv6, or both and the mode of operation (both
stacks enabled, IPv4-only enabled, etc).
	- it seems to me that an "IPv4/IPv6-aware" host is closer to
IPv4/IPv6 node (which can have both IP stacks enabled, or only one) than
an IPv4/IPv6 node that has to have both stacks enabled.
	- the unnecessary changes for definitions like IPv6-only node:
--- in your draft:
   IPv6-only host: A host that is supports only IPv6, or a host that
   supports both an IPv4/IPv6 network but has been configured to operate
   on an IPv6 network only.
--- in RFC 4213:
    IPv6-only node: A host or router that implements IPv6 and does not
implement IPv4.

These may be minor differences but it might help some readers.

Jean-Francois.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Karim El Malki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:19:27 +0200

Hello Jean-Francois,

> with slight changes in my opinion).

Thanks, I'll review this.
Only a comment below.

>     IPv6-only node: A host or router that implements IPv6 and does not

This is a detail but an important one with respect to some networks,
such as 3GPP. Although a host may implement both IPv6 and IPv4,
it may be unable to use both natively at the same time due to the
nature of the link-layer. There's some discussion on this in
section 4:
   However there will be deployments where the IPv6-only host solution
   is applicable, where UAs either only support IPv6 or are only
   configured with IPv6 addresses, such as:

   1.  Networks where public IPv4 addresses are scarce and it is
       preferable to make large deployments only on IPv6.
   2.  Networks utilizing Layer-2s that do not support contemporary IPv4
       and IPv6 usage on the same link (e.g., the 3rd Generation
       Partnership Project, 3GPP).
We could clarify the definition.
Karim