Subject: [Sipping] Mailing list usage

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 07:54:13 -0500

Folks,

For the few that aren't also subscribed to the SIP list, this is a good
reminder for SIPPING as well.  For item i), we do try to scan and allow
the postings from 
non-subscribed addresses that seem relevant through, however, with the
amount of SPAM, it is very easy to miss these.  There is also the
inherent delay in your posting.  

Regards,
Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Drage, Keith (Keith) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:24 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sip] Mailing list usage

Your two WG chairs have the boring task of wading through the rubbish
that gets rejected by the mailing list.

Sometimes pearls do end up here, as all posts by non-members go here
until they are validated, and messages that are too long also go here.
We do try and identify these and forward them on, but we are fallible
and things do get lost. Here are some pointers to try and avoid this
happening:

i)	Try and post from a list member address. There is nothing that
stops multiple addresses being members of the mailing list, and there
are various mailing list control options you can set yourself, or if you
are really stuck, that we can set for you.

ii)	Use of something other than text, or use of attachments,
frequently end up being too long. Remember that on IETF lists, only text
is allowed, and attachments should not be sent. This also applies to
those lovely vcard footers people insist on attaching, and to people
that think RTF or HTTP messages are wonderful - they still more than
double the length of the message.

iii)	If replying to a long thread, please feel free to cut off all
the irrelevant detritus from two months back that have no impact on what
you are replying to.

iv)	Please remove or truncate the list of addresses other than the
mailing list address if your reply is no longer relevant to those
people. Two many addresses will cause the list to bounce the message.

And further - keep the comments relevant to SIP protocol development.
There are other lists that may be more appropriate, in particular:

[email-masked] for issues that belong the the SIPPING group
[email-masked] for issues on drafts that belong to presence and the
SIMPLE group
[email-masked] for issues on SDP and the MMUSIC group
[email-masked] for implementation issues.

If in doubt as to which list, read the charter pages!!!!!!!!!!!!! (which
are all at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/wg-dir.html)

regards

Keith

Keith Drage
Lucent Technologies
[email-masked]
tel: +44 1793 776249

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP