Subject: [Sipping] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-donovan-sipping-service-override-01.txt

From: "Steve Donovan \(stdonova\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:37:33 -0700

All,

Please find the attached reference to a draft for consideration by the
SIPPING working group.

Comments are welcome and solicited.

Regards,

Steve Donovan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-donovan-sipping-service-override-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: The Service-State Header
	Author(s)	: C. Sivachelvan, S. Donovan
	Filename	: draft-donovan-sipping-service-override-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2006-6-29
	
This document proposes a new header for the Session Initiation
   Protocol.  This header, the Service-State header, is used to
   communicate application state between two SIP elements.

   Note: The name of the file will be updated to be consistent with the
   proposed header name in the next revision of the draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-donovan-sipping-service-overri
de-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-donovan-sipping-service-override-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-donovan-sipping-service-override-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:59:20 -0400

Hi,
This document does not describe how to populate the Service-State,
what really is 'state' and how does one ensure that it is understood
by the xAS, xSM and xUA.

I would like to hear the author's opininon on what really is this
State. Unless it is defined, I don't see how it is beneficial over any
proprietary tag.  Judging by the current discussion about the IMS CSI,
it looks like the term 'service' is found to be too restrictive in
this group, and it is preferred to leave it as 'primitives', in which
case, I am curious how a service state can be defined (and even if
defined, what use would it be, if service cannot be defined).

regds
arjun

regds
arjun

-- 
Arjun Roychowdhury