Subject: [Sipping] Forking of non-INVITE requests

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:33:48 -0400

I've submitted a new version of my I-D,
draft-worley-sipping-forking-01, "A New Forking Mechanism for Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP)".

Essentially, when a UAC sends to an AOR SUBSCRIBE, PUBLISH, or a
number of other requests, it wants to override any serial forking, and
have the forking proxy send copies to all contacts immediately.  There
is a "Request-Disposition: parallel" header (RFC 3841) that is
intended to specify parallel forking, and this I-D is to flesh out all
the details of how that needs to be done in practice.

   Abstract

   The rules for SIP proxies are organized so that when a UAC sends an
   out-of-dialog request, even if the request is forked to a number of
   UASs, (usually) only one UAS will accept the request, and only the
   final response from that UAS will be returned to the UAC.  This
   forking mechanism is optimal for an INVITE intended to connect one
   human user with another human uses, but is poor for requests that
   have a "one to many" nature, especially PUBLISH and SUBSCRIBE
   requests, but also including some INVITEs.  This document proposes an
   alternative forking mechanism that better supports "one to many"
   requests, and that mechanism be the standardized meaning of the
   (existing but weakly specified) "Request-Disposition: parallel"
   header.

It can be fetched from
https://scm.sipfoundry.org/rep/ietf-drafts/worley/draft-worley-sipping-forking-01.{txt,html,xml}.

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP