Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:14:47 -0400

Hi, Mary:

Yes, it should be corrected as it is supposed to be. But, still I do not
like that there should be two co-editors. It makes all of the co-authors
of this draft look like some kinds of unwanted persons to start with. It
brings the very integrity of the persons into question.

I would rather propose that Tom should be the ONLY EDITOR of this
document while all others should be shown as the authors/contributors of
this draft without showing a long list of all addresses.

This correction will make a big difference and will be fair to all
co-authors.

Definitely, I agree with you, and appreciate that you taken a very
prompt step to mitigate all differences.

Best regards,
Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:02 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R.; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Radhika,

They could label section 10 as "Editors' Addresses" and that would
accurately reflect the approach taken for the last round of updates to
that document and address your concern.  The editors switched to the
model of Editor/Contributor roles, based on the recommendation of the
chairs, in order to avoid the problem of having a long list of Authors,
which is something the RFC editor recommends against.  As well, having a
long list of authors often dramatically slows down the publication
process as the RFC editor will NOT publish a document without approval
from all the authors listed on the title page.  This model has been used
for the publication of other documents in the SIPPING and SIP WGs and
seems to work quite efficiently.  

Regards,
Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Folks:

There seems to a need for corrections in this draft as follows:

The document shows that there are TWO editors. At the same time, the
same two editors are also shown as only SOLE authors.

The question is this: Why do these same two persons need to be editors
as well as authors?

Do they not to write that they are the authors instead of being two
editors? 

Who can help us to clarify this?

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Framework for real-time text over IP using the
                          Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: A. Van Wijk, G. Gybels
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2006-6-27
	
This document lists the essential requirements for real-time Text-
  over-IP (ToIP) and defines a framework for implementation of all
  required functions based on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and
  the Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP). This includes interworking
  between Text-over-IP and existing text telephony on the PSTN and other
  networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:27:51 -0500

Hi Radhika,

There are two editors because two people did major chunks of editting
the document.  As I understand it, they took turns at the editting
whilst the other was busy to ensure the document was turned around in a
timely manner. 

This doesn't at all challenge the "integrity" of the folks listed as
contributors. The text clearly states that those folks contributed to
the document. Tom can certainly speak for himself, but I think his
contribution is also adequately acknowledged, as he did not do the
actual editting. 

Please refer to the "Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC)
Authors":
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc-editor/instructions2authors.txt

>From section 2.12:
      "(1) A small set of author names, with affiliations, may appear on
           the front page header.  These should be the lead author(s)
           who are most responsible for the actual text.  When there are
           many contributors, the best choice will be to list the person
           or (few) persons who acted as document editor(s) (e.g.,"Tom
           Smith, Editor").  "

and: 

      "(2) An RFC may include a Contributors section, listing those
           contributors who deserve significant credit for the document
           contents.  The Contributors section is intended to provide a
           level of recognition greater than an acknowledgment and
           nearly equal to listing on the front page.  The choice of
           either, both, or none of Contributor and Acknowledgment
           sections in a particular RFC depends upon the circumstance." 

This approach has been used in the past in SIP/SIPPING, without any
issues raised (RFC 4244 is an example). 

Regards,
Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:15 AM
To: Barnes, Mary [RICH2:B601:EXCH]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Hi, Mary:

Best regards,
Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:02 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R.; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Radhika,

Regards,
Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Folks:

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----

	

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:47:13 +0100

Radhika,
I am satisfied with the new solution where I get the role of contributor to
this document.

I also think it is good that Arnoud and Guido are listed as editors, and
thereby being the link back to the center of knowledge, experience and
considerations of real-time text application and usage.

I hope that you also will be satisfied, as well as all other contributors,
reviewers and advisors. Hopefully the WG will find the draft in good shape
now so that we can move on to detailing mechanisms in other specifications
if needed to fulfill the requirements of sipping-toip.

Regards

Gunnar
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Skickat: den 28 juni 2006 16:15
Till: Mary Barnes
Kopia: [email-masked]
Ämne: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Hi, Mary:

Best regards,
Radhika

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Barnes [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:02 AM
To: Roy, Radhika R.; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Radhika,

Regards,
Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: Roy, Radhika R. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 4:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-toip-05.txt

Folks:

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy

-----Original Message-----

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:48:31 -0700

This is a bit embarrassing.

I was a reviewer, most certainly not an editor. I have not even had the 
time to verify that what I am sure was good work by the editors is in 
line with my proposals. I do hope to get to that point in the next week. 
I fully support the Chairs in their designation of the official editors 
of this Working Group document.

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:48:31 -0700