Subject: Re: [Sipping] RE: Overload Requirements Draft

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:38:53 -0400

This mail went unanswered (my apologies), but I had read it and your 
comments were incoroporated into a draft revision that I submitted. An 
answer inline:

Malas, Daryl wrote:

> Dear all,
> 
> After reviewing the Overload requirements, requirement 13 got me
> thinking.  The requirement states the following:
> 
> "The mechanism must allow a proxy to prioritize requests, so that
> certain ones, such as call for emergency services, are still processed."
> 
> Although I think this is a smart thing to do, I think we should separate
> how a proxy will respond to an "overload" notification from the
> mechanism for notification.  In other words, I think the WG should work
> on defining how a proxy should notify upstream proxies of its overloaded
> state, but let application developers/vendors decide how they want to
> handle the notification.  I think there are many different scenarios,
> which would warrant different levels of treatment to overload messages.
> This might include completely ignoring the information entirely.
> 
> I would assert the mechanism should in no way force the proxy into a
> predefined manner of action, allowing the proxy to address the
> overloaded state (e.g. call-by-call) in its own way.

Agree totally. A few folks commented on this. I reworded requirement 13 
to try and make this clearer, since it was the original intent:

<t hangText="REQ 13:"> The mechanism must not dictate a specific
algorithm for prioritizing the processing of work within a proxy
during times of overload. It must permit a proxy to prioritize
requests based on any local policy, so that certain ones (such as a
call for emergency services or a call with a specific value of of the
Resource-Priority header field <xref target="RFC4412"/>) are processed
ahead of others.  </t>

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP