Subject: [Sipping] Few comments on draft-johnston-sipping-rtcp-summary-07.txt

From: "Srivatsa Srinivasan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:49:28 -0700

In Section 4.6, the ABNF syntax specifies extensibility elements in the
syntax to enable UA's to specify metrics not defined within the
document. It is inevitable that such a scheme requires Extensions to be
understood by the Collector.  In environments with disparate clients
implementing rtcp summary,  the Collector will have to somehow
distinctly recognize the RTCP submitted by one vendor's UA from another.
Text describing how these Extensions be declared and used is missing.

In Section 4.8.1, the example shows a metrics submission PUBLISH request
after the BYE is received. As the Collector in F12 isn't really involved
with the previous dialog, how would it determine that the dialog ID in
the submission is a valid one (and not some made-up dialog ID)? The
client being authenticated isn't necessarily a sufficient solution to
the problem. The Collector using dialog-event package and other
out-of-band options to ensure validity of the dialogs require state to
be maintained elsewhere and are complicated solutions to the problem as
well.  Text describing the issue (and perhaps a list of possible
solutions), in Section 4.10, would be helpful. 

Srivatsa.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP