Subject: [Sipping] Proposed work items for MIG

From: "Dolly, Martin C, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:04:55 -0500

Hello all,
 
As was announced in Montreal, a group of us are proposing to hold a BOF
in San Diego for a new working group MIG (once again the charter can be
found at:  www.sip-voip.org/charter.html
<outbind://23/www.sip-voip.org/charter.html>  and the associated mail
list at www.sip-voip.org).  

Part of the intention of MIG (Service Migration) is to off load some of
the work from sip/sipping, and in our presentation in Montreal we did
identify a couple of drafts that could be moved to the new group.  To
help facilitate discussions, below is an expanded list of drafts that
could be handled by the new group.  This list of drafts includes other
SDO requirements, PSTN interoperability drafts and other drafts that
include such topics, such as enterprise migration, that may fit the MIG
charter:

draft-sinha-sip-block

draft-andreasen-sipping-rfc3603bis

draft-anil-sipping-bla

draft-camarillo-sipping-sbc-funcs

draft-fries-sipping-identity-enterprise-scenario

draft-froment-sipping-spit-authz-policies

draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance

draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples

draft-jennings-sipping-pay

draft-dolly-sipping-atis-ptsc

draft-jesske-sipping-tispan-requirements

draft-dcsgroup-sipping-arch

draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spit

draft-poetzl-sipping-call-completion

draft-rocky-sipping-calling-party-category

draft-schubert-sipping-saml-cpc

draft-shacham-sipping-session-mobility

draft-worley-sipping-pickup

draft-zhang-sipping-overlap

If anyone has any comments or opinions on any of these items, or if
anyone feels that they may have a draft that fits the MIG charter,
please feel free to comment on the MIG list.

Cheers,

Martin

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:31:53 -0400

As always, there remains the issue of "what is a service?" that may lead 
to disagreements about what is in scope for this group. I'm glad to see 
the charter calls for identifying the list of services that are in 
scope. Of the drafts proposed below for handling by the group, many do 
fit my own gut feeling of "service".

One draft that doesn't is draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples. I think 
that one is still deeply tied to the details of the protocol itself 
rather than particular services and needs to remain with sipping.

	Paul

Dolly, Martin C, ALABS wrote:
> list at www.sip-voip.org <http://www.sip-voip.org>). 
> 
>  
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:28:12 -0500

> One draft that doesn't is draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples. 
> I think that one is still deeply tied to the details of the 
> protocol itself rather than particular services and needs to 
> remain with sipping.

I have the same opinion about that one. In fact, it may even be 
SIP-material.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:35:01 -0400

> I have the same opinion about that one. In fact, it may even be 

As long as it is examples it probably belongs with sipping. When we get 
to proposing fixes (which ought to be a different draft) then that 
belongs with sip.

	Paul

---

From: "Francois Audet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:37:13 -0500

Right. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:35 AM
> To: Audet, Francois (SC100:3055)
> Cc: Dolly, Martin C, ALABS; SIP List; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: [Sip] Proposed work items for MIG
> 
> 
> 
> Francois Audet wrote:
> >  
> > 
> >> I think that one is still deeply tied to the details of 
> the protocol 
> >> itself rather than particular services and needs to remain with 
> >> sipping.
> > 
> As long as it is examples it probably belongs with sipping. 
> When we get to proposing fixes (which ought to be a different 
> draft) then that belongs with sip.
> 
> 	Paul
>

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 12:54:50 -0500

At 09:31 AM 9/5/2006 -0400, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>One draft that doesn't is draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples. I think that 
>one is still deeply tied to the details of the protocol itself rather than 
>particular services and needs to remain with sipping.

indeed, I have to agree with Paul here.  draft-hasebe-sipping-race-examples 
should stay in sipping

---

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:01:21 -0500

Hi,

Why draft draft-niccolini-sipping-feedback-spit is moved to MIG ? SPIT
is applicable to VoIP. As per my understanding, MIG is for migrating
traditional telephony services to IP. Am I missing something?

If IETF wants to take this work, then I want this work to progress at
the higher priority. If bandwidth is the problem in SIPPING/SIP, then I
am okay.

Thx

Samir

________________________________

From: Dolly, Martin C, ALABS [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 3:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: SIP List; [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Proposed work items for MIG

Hello all,

draft-sinha-sip-block

draft-anil-sipping-bla

Cheers,

Martin