Subject: [Sipping] Metrics...How well is SIP performing?

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:52:57 -0600

SIPPING Mailing list:

As many of you know from the Montreal IETF conference, I introduced a
new draft based on performance metrics for SIP.  I know that performance
metrics are not as glamorous as developing new and exciting extensions
to the protocol; however, this is a real issue as many operational
organizations around the world are trying to support this protocol, its
extensions, and determine how they can prove to customers it is
performing correctly.  Many are relying on non-applicable old PSTN
metrics, which are becoming less applicable as the protocol evolves into
a multidimensional IMS enabling protocol.  The working group voted and
decided this was a necessary problem to address, so I proceeded with a
fully updated draft.  Although a number of people are reviewing the
draft, I'm asking the rest of the mailing list to please take a look.  I
personally know of a number of operators trying to figure out how to do
this, and we are trying to define a standard approach the industry can
rely upon together.  If my draft is bogus, too complicated, or anything
else; that's fine with me.  Without having much feedback from the
mailing list, it's difficult for me to know which direction I need to go
regarding this draft.  So, at this point, I'm assuming it's nearly
perfect, which in reality I know it's not.

Thanks for your help.  Here's a link to the updated version if you do
not know where to find it:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malas-performance-metrics-04.txt

--Daryl

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP