Subject: FW: [Sipping] WGLC review of draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-03

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 14:12:59 -0500

Hi Paul,

1) In line for REGISTER.
2) Draft doesn't mention anything on PUBLISH which is somewhat similar
to REGISTER. 

Thx
Samir

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Paul Kyzivat [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:29 PM
> To: Vijay K. Gurbani
> Cc: SIPPING LIST
> Subject: Re: [Sipping] WGLC review of
draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-03
> 
> I'd like to comment further on REGISTER.
> 
> As far as I can tell, the relationship between REGISTER and dialogs is
> that both use Call-ID. I don't believe 3261 or any other RFC actually
> uses the term "dialog" in relationship to registration.

3261 in section 10.2 Para 3 Ist sentence states the following.
"A REGISTER request does not establish a dialog."

Excuse my lack of knowledge of usage. When REGISTER doesn't establish a
dialog, then where is the question of dialog usage from REGISTER.
Parsing first two paras of Section 8.1.1.4 of 3261, makes it clear
Call-ID should not be shared. 

 IMO it would be
> best to refrain from even hinting that there is any such relationship.
I
> am inclined to think REGISTER should not even be mentioned in this
draft.
> 	Paul
> Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:23:23 -0400

AFAIK, PUBLISH has no relationship with a dialog usage.
In that respect it is like OPTIONS and MESSAGE, that act the same inside 
and outside dialog.

	Paul

---

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:37:40 -0500

Then why we need to put REGISTER , as It doesn't create the dialog which
is categorically stated in 3261.

Thx
Samir

> Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 5:23 PM
> To: Srivastava, Samir (SC100:8826)
> Cc: Vijay K. Gurbani; SIPPING LIST
> Subject: Re: FW: [Sipping] WGLC review of
draft-ietf-sipping-dialogusage-
> 03

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:21:31 -0400

> is categorically stated in 3261.

Well, I suggested not mentioning REGISTER. I also think PUBLISH need not 
be mentioned.

But PUBLISH is not analogous to REGISTER. REGISTER is treated in a very 
special way by 3261. It does call out the use of Call-ID, which has made 
Robert think it has some resemblance to a dialog.

	Paul