Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Registration Event Package Extension for 
                          Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Globally 
                          Routable User Agent URIs (GRUUs)
	Author(s)	: P. Kyzivat
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-07.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2006-10-13
	
RFC 3680 defines a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) event package
   for registration state.  This package allows a watcher to learn about
   information stored by a SIP registrar, including its registered
   contact.

   However, the registered contact is frequently unreachable and thus
   not useful for watchers.  The Globally Routable User Agent URI
   (GRUU), defined in RFC YYYY [3], is a URI that is capable of reaching
   a particular contact.  However this URI is not included in the
   document format defined in RFC 3680.  This specification defines an
   extension to the registration event package to include GRUUs assigned
   by the registrar.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:15:20 -0400

I revised draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event again.

This was going to only have changes requested by the IESG. But then 
there have been some significant last minute changes in 
draft-ietf-sip-gruu-11 (not yet released the last I knew), that also 
required changes here.

The following things have been done:

- an incorrect reference (to RFC 3860 rather than 3680), spotted by 
Brian Carpenter, has been fixed.

- the abstract has been reworded in an attempt to clarify confusing 
wording identified by the Gen-ART reviewer - Eric Gray.

- in response to another review comment an example has been added to the 
security considerations section, showing how a proxy might control 
access for requests addressed to a GRUU.

- some grammatical nits identified by reviewers have been fixed.

- the plural usage of GRUU was changed from GRUU to GRUUs for 
consistency with draft-ietf-sip-gruu. (I changed it the other way for 
consistency a few revs back, but the pendulum swung again.)

- the quoting conventions have been regularized when referring to the 
name of an event package.

- the big semantic change is that now two there is provision for 
including both public and anonymous GRUUs, using <pub-gruu> and 
<anon-gruu>, rather than a single <gruu>. This is for alignment with 
gruu-11. This required changes in numerous places, including the examples.

- extra normative language and security considerations have been added 
relative to the inclusion of an anonymous gruu in a notification.

- gruu-11 renamed the URI parameters it uses from "gruu" to "gr, and 
from "opaque" to "aor-qual". While this has no normative effect on this 
draft, the examples were aligned with the change.

- boilerplate was updated (automatically by xml2rfc).

- the version number in the reference to draft-ietf-sip-gruu has been 
updated (by xml2rfc) from -07 to -10. Unfortunately it should be -11, 
but isn't because I submitted first. Sigh! I guess it doesn't matter 
because the RFC editor will have to change it to a reference to the RFC 
in any case.

Hopefully this is the last revision of this!

	Paul

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>