Subject: [Sipping] New I-D on usage of phone numbers in SIP

From: "Pfautz, Penn L, GBLAM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:45:14 -0400

re: draft-rosenberg-rai-phone-names-numbers-00.txt  

This is a fascinating document raising a number of important issues but
I have a few questions & concerns to raise:

1. In discussing ownership of telephone numbers (section 2)  some care
is required to distinguish user versus service provider assignment (the
term "ownership" is a no-no in certain contexts if you know what I mean
and I think that you do:-). In some sense I "own" my number but so, in a
different sense, does AT&T.

2. In 3.4 what do you mean by "specifying hops in the PSTN?" I'm not
sure any such capability can exist but maybe I misunderstand.

3. In the treatment of portability in Section 3.4 how do I distinguish
portability from some other operation, e.g. Call Forwarding? Is it a
matter of keeping the To: header the same but changing the Request URI?
How do I know that a query has been done? While there's a parallel
between putting the NP routing number in the CdPN in SS7 and in the
Route Header in SIP rather than as a parameter that's part of the URI of
the actual ported number I think some clear marking of portability is
still required.

4. In the Portability Section (4) you need to distinguish user from
infrastructure ENUM. Service Provider Portability won't necessarily
alter the user ENUM registration  but it must change the registrant for
infrastructure ENUM. SPP really applies to the latter. If a number
assignee wants to change the domain in his or her user ENUM NAPTRs
that's not what we usually think of as portability and I'm not sure why
it requires special mechanisms other than what ENUM already provides.
Moreover, NP implementation in the Yu draft and the Livingood & Shockey
draft is really all about PSTN interworking. NP information can't be in
public DNS in at least some jurisdictions. 

5. Re Freephone, it's not true that US 8YY numbers are not E.164 numbers
nor are all of them only accessible within the US although US 8YY
numbers called from outside the US may not be entirely toll-free. Given
the nature of the translation service required I'm not sure CIC will be
used for much other than interworking with the PSTN.

6. Short codes. 311 is for local non-emergency assistance.

Penn Pfautz

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP