Subject: RE: [Sipping] Service Identification in SIP

From: "Atle Monrad \(GR/ETO\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:15:35 +0100

Hello all

If this draft is intended to replace the expired
"draft-loreto-sipping-3gpp-ics-requirements-00.txt", it would be useful
to get a confirmation that this is the case in the draft. Further, as
the requirements from 3GPP have not changed much but merely have been
clarified, some mapping towards these requirements as described in
Loretos expired draft and a linkage towards this expired draft would be
useful aswell. 

3GPP is still working on a solution to the requirements as listed in
Loretos expired draft, and the current draft would IMHO benefit from
addressing these reqirements more explicit before mapping the
requirements to a solution in order to confirm that the requirements are
covered. 

On the interoperability, I would just like to add that during
discussions in 3GPP, interoperability has not been considered a problem
by the operators. On the contrary, the GSM Association has asked 3GPP to
finalise the work on communication service identifiers and sort out the
bits and pieces in the protocol ASAP.

Whether this new draft is useful or not depends on the answers to the
questions and concerns raised. So far the thread has been quite
confusing and I have seen more questions than answers.

br
Atle Monrad

-----Original Message-----
From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 31. januar 2007 16:00
To: sipping
Cc: Mary Barnes
Subject: [Sipping] Service Identification in SIP

Folks,

during the last year, there have been a number of threads on the mailing
list discussing service identification in SIP. In particular, the
following thread discussed 3GPP requirements on this area:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg10562.html

At a later point, those 3GPP requirements were documented in the
following (expired by now) Internet Draft, which was presented in a
face-to-face IETF meeting.

http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-loreto-sipping-3gpp-ics-require
ments-00.txt

Lately, the following draft has been submitted to the archives:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-sipping-service-iden
tification-00.txt

This draft proposes a solution that intends to meet known requirements
in this area.

Given the amount of discussions on issues related to service
identification we have seen during the last year, we believe this is a
fairly important topic for the SIPPING WG to tackle. At some point, we
would like to have a milestone with its associated WG item dealing with
this issue.

Therefore, we would like to encourage people to read this draft and send
comments to the list. Additionally, if you believe that this work is (or
is not) important, we would like to hear that as well.

Cheers,

Gonzalo
SIPPING co-chair

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:30:58 -0500

> bits and pieces in the protocol ASAP.

Of course they don't find interoperability to be a problem! They 
constitute an oligopoly that is only concerned with interop among 
themselves. Interop with anyone else is presumably a non-goal.

The ietf has broader aspirations for interop.

	Paul