Subject: [Sipping] Accounting and Billing Service Indicator Example

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:57:10 -0400

I would offer the accounting and billing service indicator example is
actually an example of why NOT to use the service indicator (section 5.5):

   For example, in the case of IPTV, a service provider can bill based
   on the content (US $5 per movie, perhaps), whereas for multimedia
   conferencing, they can bill by the minute.  This requires the
   accounting streams to indicate which service was invoked for the
   particular session.

One of the use cases for a media server is to pipe content into a
conference.  So, when someone requests a media server to connect to an IPTV
server to pipe a CNN feed into a conference, is that an IPTV service or a
conference service?

In the real world, someone will want to get paid for the conference service.
Someone else will want to get paid for the IPTV service.  Someone else
entirely will need to work out the DRM if the IPTV content is not to be
shared.  Note that service indicator will not fix the DRM problem, either.

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Samir Srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:42:50 -0500

I agree with you.
This is where one starts looking what I am carrying in my vehicle and
_middlemen_ starts charging differently. It should be flat fees based
models among the service providers. 

Does my ISP care how much and what service related  daily IP traffic I
pump in ? In countries like India, there are the providers who care
about the volume but not the _type_.

I view SIPNET as a overlay network over INTERNET. We don't need carry to
PSTN business models over the internet business models.

Even if people want to have DRM and other premimum contents treated
differently. Then this kind of service is totally localized at the Far
End APP SERVER (UAS), who can charge differently to UAC but providers in
the middle are totally transparent. They are just transporting the SIP
messages, though it might be containing some charges/service related
information which is only relevant to UAC, if he agrees to pay then he
gets the service otherwise request is rejected. Here billing should be
directly from the UAS to UAC why in between the providers need to worry.

This is very similar to when I go to HTTP server of a book store, I buy
a book and my credit card get charged. Does any internet provider in
between know what is done? Why provider needs to know how I am using it?

Thx
Samir

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 11:57 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] Accounting and Billing Service Indicator Example
> 
> Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may
contain
> information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
affiliated
> entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted
and/or
> legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
individual
> or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended
recipient,
> and have received this message in error, please immediately return
this by
> email and then delete it.
> 
>