Subject: [Sipping] Agenda request for new draft draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:23:17 +0100

A draft has recently been submitted that relates to the Sipping group.

It is a proposed BCP for procedures for interworking between SIP UAs and
PSTN Textphones.
I would appreciate if it could get a short agenda point in the Sipping
Agenda. Arnoud van Wijk is prepared to present it.

And we look of course also forward to discussions in the list.

Gunnar 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
Tel: +46708204288
www.omnitor.se

Subject: I-D Action:draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Real-time text interworking between PSTN and IP
networks
	Author(s)       : G. Hellstrom, et al.
	Filename        : draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2007-11-10

IP networks can support real-time text communication.  SIP-based
real- time text is called Text-over-IP or ToIP.  PSTN networks support
real-time text using textphones (or TTYs).  When real-time text is supported
by different networks, gateways are needed to provide interoperability.
Real-time text capable gateways may also support real-time voice.

This specification describes procedures for interworking between ToIP and
PSTN textphones using a real-time text capable gateway (RTT gateway).  It
also describes ways to route calls to RTT gateways for several call
scenarios.

Procedures that support the phased introduction of RTT gateways and
procedures that support the invocation of text channels at any time during
the call are included.  Interworking of PSTN textphones that do not support
simultaneity of voice and text with IP User Agents that support simultaneous
voice and text is also described.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:11:04 +0100

There is a draft about gateway procedures between SIP devices and PSTN in 
www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt

The draft recommends to use the Sip media-feature tag "text" ar an indicator
of capability for real-time text in order to facilitate routing and device
selection.

I have realized that the media-feature tag "text" may be not enough
specified to indicate the real-time variant of text communication. It could
probably be used to indicate general text capability for real-time, for
Messaging, and information provision.

Can we reserve the media-feature tag "text" to mean real-time text, or do we
need to register a new media-feature tag "real-time-text" to be explicit
enough for the routing and preference handling?

I would like to hear the thoughts of the sipping group on this. 
The draft will be very briefly announced in the coming sipping meeting. I
hope it will create enough interest to be regarded a WG item.

This relates also to another new draft at a similar state:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-00.txt

Gunnar   

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunnar Hellström [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:23 AM
To: 'Sipping@Ietf. Org'; Gonzalo. Camarillo@ericsson. com
Cc: Arnoud van Wijk
Subject: [Sipping] Agenda request for new draftdraft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt

Gunnar

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

__________ NOD32 2657 (20071114) Information __________

Detta meddelande är genomsökt av NOD32 Antivirus.
http://www.nod32.com

---

From: "Arnoud van Wijk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:15:42 +0100

In fact both drafts will be mentioned by the SIPPING WG Chairs.

I believe both drafts are addressing important functionalities for real-time
text/ToIP calls.

The www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-00.txt
draft describes the "content label part" to indicate that the call is
connected with a PSTN Texttelephone. So users must then use turn taking
etiquette for PSTN Textphones. And be aware of the limitations one has
connected to the PSTN Textphone (single screen, 7 char per second maximal,
no pasting a lot of text, waiting for your turn until the other side is
ready typing, else you get mixed letters from sender and receiver etc). Most
calls that a ToIP user will have , are ToIP to ToIP directly with split
screen, 30 characters per second possible text speed, simultaneously sending
and receiving text, cut and paste long fragments of text etc.
The need for a clear signal that the user is connected to a PSTN
texttelephone has been observed several times.
You might remember this discussion at MMUSIC about the content label.

The second Draft Gunnar mentioned is about routing to text capable gateways
and correct device selection with the desired text support
(www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-txtgwy-00.txt).

We would love your expert insights in both drafts and see if the SIPPING WG
is the best place to continue working on both drafts.

Cheers

Arnoud

> Sent: vrijdag 30 november 2007 10:11
> To: 'Sipping@Ietf. Org'
> Subject: [Sipping] Use of media-feature tag "text" in draft-hellstrom-
> txtgwy-00.txt
>