Subject: [Sipping] Agenda request for new draft draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-00.txt

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 08:23:17 +0100

This is a new effort on an old topic.
We have a need for SIP UAs to know when they are in contact with PSTN
textphones through a gateway. The  functional limitations of PSTN textphones
compared to SIP UAs with real-time text capability are so big that they will
cause confusion for both parties in a gatewayed call if the type of call is
not announced to the SIP user. 

That functionality difference will also be a reason to try to find routes to
a SIP UA whenever possible for a call containing real-time text.

Earlier we had a long discussion in MMUSIC about using a media content SDP
parameter to indicate a session containing real-time text with a PSTN
gateway. That discussion never resulted in any agreed definition.

This is a new effort on the same line, but we now propose to use a SIP Media
Feature tag 'text-turntaking' instead. Then the tag can be available for
routing decisions and for previewing already before a session is
established, as well as for inspection during the session to adapt the user
interface.

I would like to see an agenda point devoted to this topic. 
Arnoud van Wijk is prepared to present it.

Gunnar
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)
Registration of the Text- turntaking Media Feature Tag
	Author(s)       : G. Hellstrom, A. Van Wijk
	Filename        : draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2007-11-09

This memo defines a new Media Feature Tag "text-turntaking" for use in SIP
registration and session establishment.  This is used to indicate if a
device capable of text communication has limitations in its capabilities
requiring the users to apply some turn-taking habits.To the RFC editor

Please replace y.y with the assigned ASN.1 identifier and XXXX with the RFC
number of this specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hellstrom-text-turntaking-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP