Subject: [Sipping] FW: Call for Papers: SFSIW-1

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:23:49 -0600

FYI...for folks that are also on the RAI mailing list, this is the
interoperability workshop proposed for IETF-70.   

Mary.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Call for Papers: SFSIW-1

We believe this announcement is relevant to your IETF Work Groups.  As
such, we would appreciate your posting this announcement to your
respective mail lists.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION
 
The 1st SIP Forum SIP Interoperability Workshop (SFSIW-1)
 
Co-located with the 70th Internet Engineering Task Force Meeting (IETF
70) http://www.ietf.org/meetings/70-IETF.html

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline: 27 November 2007
Notification of presentation acceptance: 30 November 2007 Workshop date:
3 December 2007, 11am - 12:30pm Pacific Time

AIMS AND SCOPE
SIP has been gaining traction as a preferred network signaling protocol
for real-time communications networks. There has been a considerable
amount of low-level protocol testing and interoperability, such as
provided by the SIP Interoperability Test event, or SIPit, which is in
its seventh year. There are many independent implementations of clients,
servers, proxies, back-to-back User Agents, registrars, and the like. In
addition, there are significant network deployments, many at scale.
 
While this is all good, deployment experience is showing that
interoperability is difficult to achieve. Products from a single vendor
tend to work well with each other. However, multi-vendor
interoperability, especially above the basic stack level, has
historically been difficult to achieve. In fact, the proof point of the
success of vendors attending SIPit indicates interoperability problems
may not be due to the specification itself.
 
This workshop serves as a forum to bring together researchers,
engineers, and service providers to exchange ideas, share experiences,
and propose approaches to address interoperability problems. Particular
focus will be on systemic or architectural problems, as opposed to
simple implementation errors. 
 
If the workshop identifies concrete proposals to improve
interoperability that would require modifications to the underlying
protocols, these proposals will be forwarded to the appropriate groups
in the IETF.
 
We encourage contributions describing interoperability and SIP. The
topics of interest include but are not limited to:
 
* Interoperability failures seen in the field or lab
* Deployment experiences
* Development experiences
* Open source projects and experiences
* Failures discovered in the field after successful lab testing
* Common failure modes
* Interoperability test methodologies
* Interoperability test experiences
* Architectural principals
* Proposals for achieving interoperability
* Proposals for improving development
* Proposals for soliciting additional real-world feedback from
implementers and service providers

POSITION PAPERS
Individuals must submit a position paper relevant to SIP
interoperability to participate in the workshop. Acceptable formats are
IETF Internet Draft style (in HTML or plain text), IEEE Computer Society
Proceedings Manuscripts style (in PDF), ACM Transactions style (in PDF),
or presentation style (in PDF). The papers should be no longer than 6
pages if in IEEE or ACM style or 10 pages of text in Internet Draft
style. There is no minimum length requirement. You are allowed to submit
relevant, previously published works.
 
Papers received by the submission deadline will be posted to the
Workshop web site, unless the author(s) request withholding publication.
The
author(s) may retain copyright or assign it to the SIP Forum or the
IETF. If you are submitting a paper that already has a copyright
assignment, such as an IEEE or ACM conference or journal paper, please
apply the appropriate self-publication disclaimers demanded by those
organizations.
 
Submit your position paper using EasyChair at the following address:
http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sfsiw1

WORKSHOP FORMAT
There is only a limited time available at the venue for this first
workshop.
The expectation is this will be a highly interactive workshop. In order
to frame the conversation, the workshop chair will open the discussion.
At the discretion of the Program Committee and dependent upon the
quality and number of position papers received, a limited number of
position papers may be presented. Note that all position papers will be
published, unless the
author(s) request withholding publication.

WORKSHOP FEES
The workshop, including lunch, is free of charge to participants. Stated
differently, submitting a position paper, no matter how brief, pays for
your lunch. The IETF has graciously provided a conference room at the
venue. As such, we will not turn away non-participants. However, it is
possible non-participants may not be allowed to participate and
certainly will not get lunch.
 
WORKSHOP CHAIR:
Robert Sparks
Protocol Barbarian, Estacado Systems
[email-masked]
 
PROGRAM CHAIR:
Eric Burger
Deputy CTO, BEA Systems
[email-masked]
 
PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Robert Sparks, [email-masked]
Anwar Siddiqui, [email-masked]
Bob Penfield, [email-masked]
Eric Burger, [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP