Subject: [Sipping] Handling parameter of Content-Dispostion header.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:44:19 +0530

Hi All,
  I have a query regarding the "handling" parameter of the 
Content-Dispostion header.
RFC 3201 states that
 "The handling parameter, handling-parm, describes how the
   UAS should react if it receives a message body whose content type or
   disposition type it does not understand. If the parameter has the
   value "optional", the UAS MUST ignore the message body; if it has the
   value "required", the UAS MUST return 415 (Unsupported Media Type).
   If the handling parameter is missing, the value "required" is to be
   assumed."

W.r.t the above statements, the use of "handling" parameter is explained 
ONLY  when the  Content-Type or
the Disposition type is not understood by an UAS. 

In case the UAS understands both but still if the Content-Dispostion 
header has the handling parameter as "optional",
what should be the behavior at UAS end. 
Ex:
Content-Disposition : session;handling=optional
Content-Type : application/sdp

Thanks and Regards,
 Preethi..

***********************  Aricent-Restricted   ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Serhad Doken (serhad)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:21:29 -0500

If UAS understands both(content type and disposition type), handling
parm will be ignored. UAS will process the message body in this case.
 
Serhad

________________________________

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 5:14 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Handling parameter of Content-Dispostion header.

Hi All, 

Thanks and Regards,
Preethi..

***********************  Aricent-Restricted   *********************** 
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended
solely for the use of 
the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be 
circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended.
If you have received this message in error, 
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly
prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of
this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for 
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by
this email including damage from virus."

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:49:12 -0500

[email-masked] wrote:
> * "The handling parameter, handling-parm, describes how the
>   assumed.*"
> ONLY  when the  _Content-Type or_
> _the Disposition type is not understood_ by an UAS.
> 
> *Content-Disposition : session;handling=optional*
> *Content-Type : application/sdp*

It should process the body according to the content-type and 
disposition-type. In that context it is not optional. (But it may be 
that the processong defined for the particular C-T/D-T allows the body 
to be ignored.)

	Paul