Subject: [Sipping] Fwd: Chance to defend position that SIP has had poor consumer traction Etc.

From: "Lee Dryburgh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:39:47 +0000

Cross-post:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lee Dryburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Dec 2007 14:35
Subject: Chance to defend position that SIP has had poor consumer traction
Etc.
To: IETF SIP List <[email-masked]>

Marketing for the eComm March 2008 conference (see www.eCommMedia.com) is
away to drive ahead with the messages which I give them. One of these
messages is critical towards SIP. Before the marketing material is
finalised, I'd like to first welcome responses. I'd love to copy all the
messages but I may run the risk of getting accused of spamming the list so
below I've just copied the section that relates to SIP:

"Voice Industry Stagnancy
Telcos still see themselves as masters of communications innovation and the
guardians to the creation of new services. Yet 3G, FMC, IPTV, NGN and IMS
services are failing in the market place. At the same time consumer
attention drifts increasingly towards Internet based applications such as
Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, FlickR, SecondLife, World of Warcraft Etc. which
are becoming increasingly voice enabled.

Yet within the Internet realms VoIP is still heralded as the communication
revolution. But VoIP on it's own is nothing more than digital telephony and
it will never be profitable. It has gained little consumer traction and can
be announced as dead-on-arrival. SIP the VoIP signaling protocol even after
a decade of development has had little consumer reach and the entire notion
of a common signaling protocol is now under question. "

Now it would seem stupid to ask people to call their baby ugly. BUT what I
do hope for, is that there is enough people with a balanced view who if they
feel strongly against this position and can provide clear rationale, then I
will have it modified/changed accordingly. Otherwise it will be accepted as
true. Seems fair?

Thanks Lee
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP