Subject: [Sipping] Overload Requirements Draft

From: "Jeremy Barkan \(DigitalShtick\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:57:34 +0200

Forwarding on behalf of David Schwartz

  _____  

From: David Schwartz [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:42 PM
To: Jeremy Barkan ((DigitalShtick))
Subject: Fwd: Overload requirements

Another one :( --> can you post for me as well? Thanks, D.

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Schwartz <[email-masked]>

Date: December 4, 2007 1:51:44 AM PST (CA)

To: [email-masked]

Subject: Overload requirements

Hi John.

I may need to re-read but is there mention anywhere in this requirements doc
of the ability to inform an upstream element that the problem is further
downstream and not necessarily at the AD returning a 503?

I guess I am asking since I am confused. The draft states ... "RFC3261 also
instructs proxies to not forward 503 responses upstream at SHOULD NOT
strength". If we look at figure 3 where there is potentially more than one
AD what is S1 supposed to pass upstream if it gets a 503 from P2? I know
that you are differantiating between a proxy and a server but the point is
that at some point an entity (Proxy or Server) cannot forward downstream and
needs to notify the upstream requester of this. In this case the 503 is
appropriate as a response and I would like to know upstream (P1 in figure 3)
that this 503 was generated by P2.

Is this covered anywhere in the requirements or is it just a jet-lagged 2 AM
issue.

D.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP