Subject: [Sipping] Comment on draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 13:01:11 -0500

I think the ability to provide physical location should be considered 
for some of this solution, given that at least some of the DA 
information will (perhaps need to be) location specific to within a 
geographic area, or pertaining to the location of the requester. I 
can give countless examples if needed.  Here are a few

- Which Pizza Hut?
- Which Joe's Barbershop?
- Which Main Street? 1st Street? 2nd Street? 5th Avenue?
- With Peachtree road/lane/avenue/turnpike/street/etc... (in just Atlanta)?
- How does "the system" know the person is calling from Atlanta?
-      ... from Manhattan and not the Bronx or Brooklyn?

Automated answers will likely depend on where someone is requesting 
from, or where someone is requesting to/for. Human ones probably will too...

The reference to use for SIP Location Conveyance can be found here:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/sip/draft-ietf-sip-location-conveyance/

This ID is done except for one final header parameter (a result of 
WGLC comments).

James

At 12:15 PM 5/13/2008, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>         Title           : Considerations for Information Services 
> and Operator Services Using SIP
>         Author(s)       : J. Haluska, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt
>         Pages           : 91
>         Date            : 2008-05-08
>
>Information Services are services whereby information is provided
>in response to user requests, and may include involvement of a
>human or automated agent. A popular existing Information Service is
>Directory Assistance (DA). Moving ahead, Information Services
>providers envision exciting multimedia services that support
>simultaneous voice and data interactions with full operator backup
>at any time during the call. Information Services providers are
>planning to migrate to SIP based platforms, which will enable such
>advanced services, while continuing to support traditional DA
>services. Operator Services are traditional PSTN services which
>often involve providing human or automated assistance to a caller,
>and often require the specialized capabilities traditionally
>provided by an operator services switch. Market and/or regulatory
>factors in some jurisdictions dictate that some subset of Operator
>Services continue to be provided going forward. This document aims
>to identify how Operator and Information Services can be
>implemented using existing or currently proposed SIP mechanisms, to
>identity existing protocol gaps, and to provide a set of Best
>Current Practices to facilitate interoperability. For Operator
>Services, the intention is to reproduce the current PSTN behaviour.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-05.txt>
>_______________________________________________
>I-D-Announce mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP