Subject: [Sipping] FW: SIP Connect 1.1

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:15:43 -0500

Hi all,

We've been asked to forward the following from the SIP Forum since this
work is relevant to folks involved in SIPPING WG.

There are links to access documents embedded below. The homepage is at:
www.sipforum.org
You can contribute as an individual (participant member) even if your
company is not a member. 

Regards,
Mary
SIPPING WG co-chair

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:23 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: Richard Shockey; Marc Robins
Subject: SIP Connect 1.1

The SIP Forum has chartered a work item to complete and refine the SIP
Connect 1.0 specification.

1. We are committed to a SIPconnect 1.1 Specification and we hereby
reissue our calls for contributions to that end.

The concept of SIP trunking has received a great deal of industry
interest over the last several months and many vendors and service
providers are ramping up their efforts. Many of them have come to see
the SIP Forum SIPconnect and SIPconnect Compliant effort as a valid
forum to help resolve many of the ambiguities existent in the IETF SIP
specifications and create a unified "profile" that both PBX vendors and
service providers can rally around. 

The value of this work is self-evident. IP PBX vendors do not want to
have to go through separate certification processes to connect with each
and every service provider. More importantly, enterprises want to know
that the products and services they buy will work together.

2. Microsoft has Joined the SIP Forum and has committed to actively
contributing to the SIPConnect work.

Notably, Microsoft has formally joined the SIP Forum as a Full Member
company, and has released, for general distribution, their view of how
SIPconnect could be constructed. This is based on their own extensive
experience with their OCS product and extensive discussions with
Enterprises and Service Providers.

The SIP Forum has created a depository of SIPconnect 1.1 Scoping
Documents, which currently includes the Microsoft document mentioned
above, and will be the location of other member contributions as they
are made available.

The URL for this material is:

http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,45
/Ite
mid,75/ 

All members of this list are encouraged to make comments on the
Microsoft document. The first order of business is to bound the scope of
what SIPconnect 1.1 should cover.

3. CableLabs has also Joined the SIPForum as a full member and CableLabs
and its member companies are committed to contributing to the SipConnect
1.1 effort

As many of you probably already know, CableLabs is the joint industry
standards body of the North American Cable operators.

More information about CableLabs can be found here:

http://www.cablelabs.com/

It should be no surprise to anyone that Cable Operators want to offer
Enterprise-oriented SIP trunking services within their service
boundaries.

CableLabs and its member companies believe that the SIP Forum SIPconnect
process is the best way forward to create a comprehensive industry-wide
specification for Enterprise IP-PBX to MSO interconnection.

CableLabs has a extensive PacketCable internal working group devoted to
delivering an Enterprise PBX to MSO specification to CableLabs partners.

They have agreed to coordinate their efforts with the SIP Forum
SIPconnect effort as well as make significant contributions to that end.

4. Broadsoft is also contributing extensive documentation Related to
their SIP Trunking experience

Broadsoft, a current full member of the SIP Forum, has also agreed to
make available their extensive documentation of experience with SIP
trunking and the current implementation of SIPconnect 1.0 as well.

5. World-Class Technical Support

The SIP Forum Technical Working Group Chairs are in the process of
recruiting a well-known SIP technical expert to actually edit the
SIPconnect
1.1 specification.

The Time to Start the Work is Now!

Members of this list are encouraged to make comments and propose
contributions to begin this important effort.

The SIP Forum document depository for relevant SIPconnect 1.1
contributions is located here: 

http://www.sipforum.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,45
/Ite
mid,75/ 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP