Subject: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:18:48 -0500

As a first step in revising draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets, I am
pulling together a glossary for the terms used in the document.  The
first draft of the glossary follows.  I've included some terms from
draft-ietf-sipping-config-framework, added a few terms that seem to be
needed, and revised some of the definitions, but I think that the
glossary is compatible with both config-framework and the published
version of profile-datasets.

Comments are welcome!

   Profile:  a set of configuration data intended to configure a
      specific device or devices and obtained from a specific source
      (e.g., user, device, local network or other).  Has a concrete
      representation as an XML document.

Note that "Profile" is used here to mean specific configuration data
to be used by a specific device.

   Profile Type:  a particular category of Profile data regarding its
      source (e.g., User, Device, Local Network or other).

   Profile schema:  a definition of a set of possible profiles that
      are seen as alternative configuration data for a set of UAs.
      Has specific XML namespace and a concrete representation in XML
      Schema Language and/or in Relax NG schema language.

   Profile meta-schema:  the schema of the XML namespace
      "urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:uaprof", from which are derived the various
      profile schemas

   user profile -  the profile that applies to a specific user.  The
      user profile is that set of profile data the user wants to
      associate with a given device (e.g. ringtones used when someone
      calls them, the user's shortcuts).
   device profile -  data profile that applies to a specific device.
      This is the data that is bound to the device itself independent of
      the user.  It relates to specific capabilities of the device
      and/or preferences of the owner of the device.
   local network profile -  data that applies to the user agent in the
      context of the local network.  This is best illustrated by roaming
      applications; a new device appears in the local network (or a
      device appears in a new network, depending on the point of view).
      The local network profile includes settings and perhaps policies
      that allow the user agent to function in the local network (e.g.
      how to traverse NAT or firewall, bandwidth constraints).

   merging -  the operation of resolving overlapping settings from
      multiple profiles.  Overlap occurs when the same property occurs
      in multiple profiles (e.g. device, user, local network).

   working profile -  the set of property values utilized in a SIP
      User Agent; (effectively) constructed by merging the profiles
      from the relevant sources

   property -  a named configurable characteristic of a user agent;
      a named datum within a profile schema.
      A given property has a well-defined range of possible values.  A
      given property may be defined to have a range of values, allow for
      simultaneous use of many values (as in a list of allowed
      possibilities), or a set of related values that collectively form
      a single profile information item.

   dataset -  a collection of properties.

   setting -  the binding of a specific value or set of values to a
      given property.

   thus, a profile schema is a dataset, and a profile is a set of
   settings that conforms to a particular profile schema

Dale

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:30:16 +0000

Looks good to me.

John 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dale Worley
> Sent: 23 February 2009 22:19
> To: SIPPING
> Subject: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>