Subject: [Sipping] draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:00:38 -0500

I've been assigned as the editor of draft-ietf-sipping-profile-datasets.
As part of the job, I want to tighten up the description of the dataset
system and provide framework or toolkit algorithms.  Within the
framework, each profile dataset schema will provide enough information
that implementors can build functioning, interoperable systems.

Unfortunately, I'm late to the party, so I'd like some input on a number
of points.  I expect that there has already been considerable
discussion, but I can't find references to it.

- Is there a standard set of datatypes for values in profiles?

- Do we want to allow dataset schemas to be able to define new
datatypes?

- Are there standard merge algorithms for handling overlapping
specifications by the various profiles a device can get?

- If we wish to allow dataset schemas to define their own merge
algorithms, how should they specify those algorithms?

- Can a UA suck in more than one dataset instance?  For instance, if
there is a dataset schema for configuring a "line", will a multi-line
phone be able to suck in multiple dataset instances, one for each line?
Or should the dataset schema contain at the top level, "an array of
structures, one for each line ..."?

- Evolution and extension:  It seems that the idea is that extensions
will be done by having "add-on" schemas that are identified by separate
namespaces.  Will we also allow each schema to have a version number?
How do all these extension mechanisms mesh?

Dale