Subject: [Sipping] Editing application characteristics with SIP

From: Niall Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:50:12 +0100

Hello All,

Is there any SIP method that can be used to update application session
characteristics? For example, would it be possible to increase the volume of
a SIP enabled speaker from a device acting as a third party call controller
in a session?

Thanks

Niall

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:52:47 +0200

The INFO method can be used to transfer application data associated with a SIP dialog.

Regards,

Christer

________________________________
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Niall Murray
Sent: 11. elokuuta 2010 14:50
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Editing application characteristics with SIP

Hello All,

Is there any SIP method that can be used to update application session characteristics? For example, would it be possible to increase the volume of a SIP enabled speaker from a device acting as a third party call controller in a session?

Thanks

Niall

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:26:13 -0400

Currently issues having to do with the rendering of the media is out of 
scope for sip. It is indeed an application level issue above sip. As 
Christer mentioned, you could use INFO to convey application level 
information, but that leaves open how to model the application at that 
level and what sorts of controls are possible.

The mediactrl group has worked on protocols for controlling media 
servers, so that is another place to look. But I don't think they have 
explored what you are looking for. And mediactrl is not something that a 
"normal" sip UA would currently implement.

	Thanks,
	Paul

Niall Murray wrote:
> characteristics? For example, would it be possible to increase the 
> volume of a SIP enabled speaker from a device acting as a third party 
> call controller in a session?
> 
> Thanks
> 
> Niall
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP