Subject: [siprec] Preliminary minutes - rev1

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:11:02 +0100

Corrections to paragraph beginning "Hadriel Kaplan queried" - thanks Hadriel.

John

Minutes of the SIPREC WG Session at IETF 77,
Anaheim, CA, USA, 2010-03-23, 10.30-11.30 GMT-7
===============================================
Meeting chaired by Brian Rosen and John Elwell.

Minutes produced by John Elwell based on notes from Christian Schmidt and Roger Marshall.

Jabber log: http://www.ietf.org/jabber/logs/siprec/2010-03-23.txt

Topic - Administrivia (chairs)
==============================
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/10mar/slides/siprec-0.ppt

No changes to published agenda.

Topic - Charter (chairs)
========================
The chairs summarised the charter for this newly-approved WG.

Topic - Requirements (Ken Rehor)
================================
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/10mar/slides/siprec-1.pptx

During his presentation, Ken mentioned the fact that new use cases continue to be identified, and that it will be necessary to limit the scope of initial deliverables.

Somebody asked whether we have enough time or expertise to adequately treat security, and why do we need this section? The chairs responded that security must be covered in all deliverables, especially protocols, but also requirements. Andy Hutton pointed out that the requirements are not addressing specific mechanisms.

>From the chair, John pointed out that we have to identify the really important requirements - what are the short term and what are the long term requirements.

Topic - Architecture (Andy Hutton)
====================================================================
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/10mar/slides/siprec-2.pptx

Concerning slide 5, media mixing bullet, it was questioned what is the problem with SDP if streams from the two speakers are to be transmitted separately. Discussion pointed out that multiple m-lines could be used, although consideration would need to be given to the interaction between multiple m-lines for the different speakers and multiple m-lines for multiple media.

Hadriel Kaplan queried the exclusive usage of RTP as transport for recorded media, since it may not be a true RTP layer, literally just packet-tracing. He also pointed out that in the original draft there was a requirement to allow just packet copying, not translating/mixing. Also Cullen Jennings questioned why we need RTP. Andy Hutton said the requirement had been removed. This issue should be taken to the list.

Hadriel Kaplan also raised a question concerning notification requirements and the SIP layer. This should be taken to the list.

Somebody pointed out the similarity between this and lawful interception. The chair reminded participants of the charter statement on interception.

On the last slide, Hadriel Kaplan pointed out that some of the open issues related to the solution, and shouldn't apply to an architecture document.

It was noted that we may have to look at other groups for some aspects of the solution, e.g., MMUSIC, MEDIACTRL, XCON. An opinion was expressed that many of the requirements can in fact already be met by existing protocols. However, Brian Rosen, as chair, pointed out that this group is chartered for SIP-based media recording, so entirely different solutions are out of scope. Gonzalo Camarillo asked for any pointers to existing solutions to be posted to the list.

Summary (Chairs)
===============
John Elwell said that we should progress the requirements draft first, but was not sure that it is ready for WGLC yet. The WG has only been open for one week, and we need to get more list discussion, and to get consensus.  Much of the work has been going on within the design team, and discussion needs to move to the list. Let's have some good discussion on the requirements and architecture documents. If it seems appropriate, we might hold an interim meeting (conference call) before IETF#78. The design team continues to hold a weekly conference call - others are encouraged to join, and the team should of course keep the list informed.

---

From: Deepanshu Gautam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:11:26 +0800

I kindly request the details for joining the design team's weekly conference
calls.

-Deepanshu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Elwell, John
Sent: 2010年3月25日 22:11
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [siprec] Preliminary minutes - rev1

Corrections to paragraph beginning "Hadriel Kaplan queried" - thanks
Hadriel.

John

Minutes of the SIPREC WG Session at IETF 77, Anaheim, CA, USA, 2010-03-23,
10.30-11.30 GMT-7 ===============================================
Meeting chaired by Brian Rosen and John Elwell.

Minutes produced by John Elwell based on notes from Christian Schmidt and
Roger Marshall.

Topic - Charter (chairs)
========================

During his presentation, Ken mentioned the fact that new use cases continue
to be identified, and that it will be necessary to limit the scope of
initial deliverables.

Somebody asked whether we have enough time or expertise to adequately treat
security, and why do we need this section? The chairs responded that
security must be covered in all deliverables, especially protocols, but also
requirements. Andy Hutton pointed out that the requirements are not
addressing specific mechanisms.

>From the chair, John pointed out that we have to identify the really
important requirements - what are the short term and what are the long term
requirements.

Concerning slide 5, media mixing bullet, it was questioned what is the
problem with SDP if streams from the two speakers are to be transmitted
separately. Discussion pointed out that multiple m-lines could be used,
although consideration would need to be given to the interaction between
multiple m-lines for the different speakers and multiple m-lines for
multiple media.

Hadriel Kaplan queried the exclusive usage of RTP as transport for recorded
media, since it may not be a true RTP layer, literally just packet-tracing.
He also pointed out that in the original draft there was a requirement to
allow just packet copying, not translating/mixing. Also Cullen Jennings
questioned why we need RTP. Andy Hutton said the requirement had been
removed. This issue should be taken to the list.

Hadriel Kaplan also raised a question concerning notification requirements
and the SIP layer. This should be taken to the list.

Somebody pointed out the similarity between this and lawful interception.
The chair reminded participants of the charter statement on interception.

On the last slide, Hadriel Kaplan pointed out that some of the open issues
related to the solution, and shouldn't apply to an architecture document.

It was noted that we may have to look at other groups for some aspects of
the solution, e.g., MMUSIC, MEDIACTRL, XCON. An opinion was expressed that
many of the requirements can in fact already be met by existing protocols.
However, Brian Rosen, as chair, pointed out that this group is chartered for
SIP-based media recording, so entirely different solutions are out of scope.
Gonzalo Camarillo asked for any pointers to existing solutions to be posted
to the list.

Summary (Chairs)
===============
John Elwell said that we should progress the requirements draft first, but
was not sure that it is ready for WGLC yet. The WG has only been open for
one week, and we need to get more list discussion, and to get consensus.
Much of the work has been going on within the design team, and discussion
needs to move to the list. Let's have some good discussion on the
requirements and architecture documents. If it seems appropriate, we might
hold an interim meeting (conference call) before IETF#78. The design team
continues to hold a weekly conference call - others are encouraged to join,
and the team should of course keep the list informed.

_______________________________________________
siprec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/siprec

---

From: "Henry Lum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:59:47 -0700

I haven't seen the design team weekly calls posted yet... just checking.

Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Deepanshu Gautam
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 4:11 AM
To: 'Elwell, John'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [siprec] Preliminary minutes - rev1

-Deepanshu

-----Original Message-----

John

Topic - Charter (chairs)
========================

Summary (Chairs)
===============

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain confidential and proprietary information of Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities.