Subject: [siprec] #5: Action on inability to contact recording server

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:08:54 -0000

#5: Action on inability to contact recording server
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  john.elwell@…                       |       Owner:  krehor@…        
     Type:  defect                              |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  minor                               |   Milestone:  milestone1      
Component:  Requirements                        |     Version:                  
 Severity:  Active WG Document                  |    Keywords:                  
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 From a posting by Nathan Kryger at:
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/siprec/current/msg00013.html
 "I don't see any requirements on what the RC should do if it can't contact
 any RS, only requirements around what the RS should do if it can't record
 the call."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/5>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>

---

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:00:37 -0000

Comment(by john.elwell@…):

 Do we really need to go to this level of detail in a requirements
 document? Sounds more like something for the solutions document. A
 requirement concerning inability to record in general should suffice.

 John (as individual)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/5#comment:1>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>

---

From: "Henry Lum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:36:22 -0700

REQ-30 specifies that some error is returned whenever recording resources are not available - I think it's general enough to cover this specific scenario without getting into the detail about how implementation should deal with such failure.

Regards,
Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of siprec issue tracker
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 4:01 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [siprec] #5: Action on inability to contact recording server

 John (as individual)

_______________________________________________
siprec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/siprec

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain confidential and proprietary information of Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Alcatel-Lucent and/or its affiliated entities.

---

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:03:37 -0000

Comment(by leonp@…):

 I agree

 Leon

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/5#comment:2>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>