Subject: [siprec] #4: Media coding negotiation

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:06:20 -0000

#4: Media coding negotiation
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  john.elwell@…                       |       Owner:  krehor@…        
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  major                               |   Milestone:  milestone1      
Component:  Requirements                        |     Version:                  
 Severity:  Candidate WG Document               |    Keywords:                  
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 From posting by Nathan Kryger at:
 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/siprec/current/msg00013.html
 "Is it possible for the RS to negotiate the media type being used so the
 RC translates whatever type of media it is handling into something the RS
 can decode?  That assumes that the RC itself knows how to decode the media
 it is handling.  Another alternative would be for the RS to tell the RC
 what types of media are allowed and the RC could force any media going
 through it to one of the allowed options assuming that the RC has the
 ability to modify the SDP going between the endpoints.  Having support for
 this would be useful in the case where you need to record a call between
 two internal users who have phones that support whatever fancy new codec
 happens to be the current fad."

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/4>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>

---

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:01:42 -0000

Comment(by leonp@…):

 It is a valid use case where RC client by itself or by instructing some
 other entities will perform transcoding of the original commuication
 session media. We are not making any assumptions that Communication
 Session and Recording session will use the same codecs. The codec
 negotiation between RC and RS should reuse standard SDP mechanism

 Leon

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/4#comment:1>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>