Subject: [siprec] #29: Do we need REQ-011 on error messages?

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 16:12:59 -0000

#29: Do we need REQ-011 on error messages?
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  john.elwell@…                       |       Owner:  krehor@…        
     Type:  defect                              |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  minor                               |   Milestone:                  
Component:  Requirements                        |     Version:                  
 Severity:  Active WG Document                  |    Keywords:                  
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 REQ-011 "If no recording resources are available, appropriate error
    message MUST be returned."
 This seems to be related to REQ-009, and I would have thought it could be
 easily covered by REQ-009 rather than as a separate requirement (although
 I also question the need for REQ-009 in a separate ticket). It is a
 fundamental property of SIP that different error responses can be sent.

 John

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/29>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>