Subject: [siprec] #45: Lack of requirements on types of media to be covered

From: "siprec issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:13:47 -0000

#45: Lack of requirements on types of media to be covered
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  john.elwell@…                       |       Owner:  Ken Rehor
     Type:  defect                              |      Status:  new      
 Priority:  major                               |   Milestone:           
Component:  Requirements                        |     Version:           
 Severity:  Active WG Document                  |    Keywords:           
------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
 Although there is some mention of media types in earlier parts of the
 document (e.g., video, instant message, text), the requirements lack
 anything do with media types, apart from some specific requirements to do
 with audio. We should make it clear which media types the initial solution
 is required to support, taking into consideration at least audio, video,
 DTMF, fax, real-time text, instant messaging, slides, whiteboard, etc..
 Some of these will surely be left outside the scope of the initial
 solution, but we should make it clear what is within scope.

 John

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/45>
siprec <http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:37:23 +0200

At the interim meeting this week, it was suggested we should cover session mode MESSAGE and XMPP, but not MSRP. We should also cover DTMF (at least in RTP, question over SIP-based mechanisms). And obviously audio and video. Things like slides, whiteboard, etc. would be out of scope. Please indicate whether you are in broad agreement with this and refine where necessary.

John (as chair)  

> -----Original Message-----
> From: siprec issue tracker [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 30 September 2010 10:14
> To: Elwell, John
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [siprec] #45: Lack of requirements on types of media 
> to be covered
> 
>  Reporter:  john.elwell@...                       |       
> Owner:  Ken Rehor
>      Type:  defect                              |      
> Status:  new      
>  Priority:  major                               |   
> Milestone:

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:48:29 -0400

An interesting aspect of this:

Is it required that an SRS be able to support all the media that the SRC 
is prepared to send to it?

I presume not. The SRS should be able to reject any media it isn't 
prepared to record, and the SRC can deal with that as it sees fit. (E.g. 
is it willing to let the CS proceed even though some of the media isn't 
being recorded?)

So all we will be talking about is how to convey various media from the 
SRC to the SRS. Since that is largely a matter of SDP o/a, we may be 
able to cover all media right from the start.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:55:08 -0400

> At the interim meeting this week, it was suggested we should cover session mode MESSAGE and XMPP, but not MSRP. We should also cover DTMF (at least in RTP, question over SIP-based mechanisms). And…

I just sent another message on this subject.

ISTM that any media that can be negotiated via o/a can be considered 
covered by default. That includes DTMF in RTP, and MSRP.

MESSAGE and XMPP don't fit that category, and so require some special 
treatment.

I think it makes sense to do something about MESSAGE.

I don't know what to do about XMPP, since it isn't part of a *sip* CS. 
ISTM that may be an entirely separate piece of work.

	Thanks,
	Paul

>> Ticket URL:<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/siprec/trac/ticket/45>
>> siprec<http://tools.ietf.org/siprec/>
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> siprec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/siprec
>