Subject: [siprec] WG Action: Rechartered SIP Recording (siprec)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:30:16 -0700

The SIP Recording (siprec) working group in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

SIP Recording (siprec)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Brian Rosen <[email-masked]>
  Andrew Hutton <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/siprec
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/siprec/

Charter:

The Session Recording Protocol (SIPREC) working group is chartered to
define a SIP-based protocol for controlling a session (media) recorder.

Session recording is a critical requirement in many business 
communications environments such as call centers and financial trading 
floors. In some of these environments, all calls must be recorded for 
regulatory and compliance reasons. In others, calls may be recorded for 
quality control, business analytics, or consumer protection. Recording 
is typically done by sending a copy of the media to the recording 
devices. The working group will determine requirements and produce a 
specification for a protocol that will manage delivery of media 
(including audio, video, MSRP instant message sessions, and real-time 
text), in SIP-based systems from an end-point that originates media, or 
that has access to it, to a recording device. PBX and recording vendors 
today implement proprietary, incompatible mechanisms to facilitate 
recording. A standard protocol will reduce the complexity and cost of 
providing such recording services.

The Session Recording problem presents certain unique requirements that 
are not addressed in the current SIP protocol specification. These 
include requirements such as the need for a distinction between the 
session that is being recorded versus the session that has been 
established for recording.

Privacy and security of conversations are significant concerns. The 
working group will make sure that any protocol specified addresses these 
concerns and includes mechanisms to alert users to the fact that a 
session they are participating in is being recorded. In addition the 
working group will take account of RFC 7258 concerning pervasive 
monitoring.

The working group must take care that the session recording requirements 
and protocol does not conflict with the IETF statement on wiretapping 
contained in RFC 2804.

The SIPREC Working Group will thoroughly identify use cases, provide 
example system architectures and deployment scenarios, and define 
requirements.
  
The scope of the activity includes:

* Recorder Control

* Session metadata content and format

* Security mechanisms, including transport and media encryption

* Privacy concerns, including end-user notification

* Negotiation of recording media streams

The group will define these issues and rationalize with IETF standards 
and practices. This includes encryption, NAT traversal, operations and
manageability, SIP-enabled firewalls, authorization, and security.

The group will produce:

* Updated Requirements, Use Cases, Architecture draft

* Specification for Session Recording Protocol

Milestones:
  Done     - Use Cases and Requirements to IESG as Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit Architecture to IESG as Informational RFC
  Jul 2014 - Submit protocol draft to IESG as Proposed Standard RFC
  Sep 2014 - Submit Metadata model and format to IESG as Proposed
Standard RFC
  Sep 2014 - Submit SIPREC Call Flows draft to IESG as an informational
RFC.
  Dec 2014 - Conference Recording Use Cases and Requirements to IESG as
Informational RFC
  Dec 2014 - Conference Recording Architecture to IESG as Informational
RFC
  Dec 2014 - Protocol and metadata for MSRP recording to IESG as Proposed
Standard RFC
  Feb 2015 - Protocol and metadata for using RTP media to record the
sharing of applications, documents and screens to the IESG as Proposed
Standard RFC