Subject: [siprec] Protocol Action: 'Session Recording Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-18.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 10:46:31 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Recording Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-18.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP Recording Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell, Barry Leiba and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-siprec-protocol/

Technical Summary

This document describes how to use Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP), Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real Time Protocol
(RTP) to record a SIP Communication Session (CS) that appears on a
cooperating SIP UA.  The protocol creates a SIP Recording Session between
the Session Recording Client (SRC) and the Session Recording Server (SRS)
and passes metadata about the session between the SRC and the SRS.  The
document also specifies extensions for user agents that are participants in
a CS to receive recording indications and to provide preferences for
recording. 

Working Group Summary

This document has had a relatively long gestation
period in the working group, but there has been strong consensus on the
direction and text of the document for some time.  There were no notable
disagreements within the working group over the development of the document.

On the contrary, the only discussions were on how best to solve corner
cases that occasionally arose as the document was going through the review
process.  The protocol conforms rather remarkably well to the requirements
and architecture that was defined before serious work on the protocol began.
This is noteworthy, as it rarely occurs.
 
Document Quality

There are multiple interoperable implementations of drafts of this protocol.  Notably,
the National Emergency Number Association (NENA) has included the protocol
in its Next Generation 9-1-1 standard, and has held an interoperability
event where multiple implementations were tested.  Feedback from the event
has been incorporated in the draft.  There are at least 8 implementations
known to the document shepherd that are completed, in process, or planned.

Personnel

Brian Rosen is the Document Shepherd.  Alissa Cooper is the Responsible Area Director.