Subject: [siprec] Stephen Farrell's No Objection on draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-18: (with COMMENT)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 14:11:33 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-siprec-protocol-18: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-siprec-protocol/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for clearing up my discuss points. 

old stuff below.

I had a discuss point that said: "5.3: How does a UA know if 
it's preference to not be recorded has been ignored?" 
Maybe there's a missing timer there.

I also had a discuss point that said:
I'll clear once you answer: but wouldn't it be easier
all around to just mandate use of mutually authenticated
TLS between SRC and SRS in all cases?  (Even if some
hop-by-hop stuff is needed when there are proxies between
SRC and SRS.) Also - how is it ok to ever not re-encrypt
the media in the RS since if you do not, anyone from the
CS who has the right session key can send the SRS bogus
packets that it'll accept.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 20:07:26 -0400

Commenting on one point...

On 9/28/15 5:11 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> SRC and SRS.)

That would require both SRC and SRS to have certs.

Some of the use cases have a end user UA acting as SRC. Such devices 
rarely have certs. It would be quite a hurdle to require every UA that 
wants to record to obtain a cert.

(It would be less of an issue for other cases, where the SRC is in the 
network.)

	Thanks,
	Paul