Subject: [Slim] XMPP-STOX example of use of lang attribute

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 07:45:19 +0200

I wanted to follow up the XMPP chat example of using the lang attribute 
in SDP to understand how far from our goals it is.

In chapter 6 of 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gellens-slim-negotiating-human-language-01 
there is a reference to

draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-chat-04  showing the use of the lang attribute in SDP.

However, that draft is now replaced bydraft-ietf-stox-chat  and the lang attributes are deleted from the examples.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stox-chat-11

This does not mean that the discussion in chapter 6 would be wrong. It only means that the reference to the
SIP-XMPP-CHAT interop draft is not appropriate anymore and would need to be replaced or deleted.
Does anyone know a good replacement?

/Gunnar

---

From: "Randall Gellens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 08:58:58 -0700

> However, that draft is now replaced bydraft-ietf-stox-chat  and the lang
> attributes are deleted from the examples.

Hi Gunnar,

The reference is only an informative example of how the current language
SDP attribute is misunderstood to be what we want rather than what is
specified in its definition.

---

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 01:48:48 +0200

> specified in its definition.
I mean that we cannot keep it as a reference in the draft since it is 
not included in the current STOX draft. Even if it is informational, I 
do not think it is appropriate to reference expired IETF drafts.

Did it really not give us partially what we want and can be used as STOX 
intended, as long as we do not need directional characteristics and 
relative preference between media or absolute preference?

Gunnar

-- 
-----------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
+46 708 204 288

---

From: "Randall Gellens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 17:47:57 -0700

>>> draft-saintandre-sip-xmpp-chat-04  showing the use of the lang
>>> attribute
>>> in SDP.
>>>
>>> SIP-XMPP-CHAT interop draft is not appropriate anymore and would need
>>> to
>>> be replaced or deleted.

Yes, the reference to the expired draft should be deleted.

> relative preference between media or absolute preference?

The problem is that the definition of the attribute is that it describes
the content and is intended for use with pre-recorded, not dynamic media.

However, one option would be just extend the current definition and say
that when used with dynamic media it is used per this draft.  I don't
really see any harm, especially given that no one seems to be using it
that way.