Subject: [Slim] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-01.txt

From: Gunnar Hellström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 09:21:45 +0100

A new version of the modality grouping draft is available. The main 
differences are corrections of minor spelling mistakes, and 
restructuring a couple of complex sentences for improved readability.

There are two topics covered. They can be seen as free-standing 
extensions of what has been discussed for 
draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language.

1. The need to get (or produce) the same human language contents in two 
or more modalities approximately simultaneously. E.g. spoken and 
written. One of these modalities would then be an automatic or human 
generated transform of the other. Earlier specified mechanisms for 
language selections do not have any difference between indicating 
language in two modalities as alternatives to select from versus a 
preference to use both simultaneously.
Applications are e.g. for a user with limited hearing or in noisy 
environment who needs to combine hearing with the option of reading the 
same contents when hearing fails.

2. The need to describe preference level between alternative modalities 
so that the commonly most preferred language and modality for 
communication can be selected. Thereby communication can start smoothly 
and disconnection or inclusion of non-needed interpretation avoided. 
Examples: a) prefer to receive text but can accept to receive spoken 
language.   b) prefer to send sign language but can accept to send text.

Known shortcomings:
1. This draft has the same shortcoming as has been discussed lately for 
draft-ietf-slim-negotiating-human-language in that it cannot distinguish 
between spoken and written language in other than audio and text media.  
Only sign languages have distinguishable language tags. That is a 
separate problem.

2. This draft cannot specify that two modalities using the same media 
stream are wanted simultaneously. (E.g. subtitling in the video stream 
of a speaker seen in the same video stream. )  This is partly depending 
on shortcoming 1.

Comments are welcome

Gunnar

-----------Forwarded message------------------------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

         Title           : Human Language Modality Grouping Semantics in Session Description Protocol
         Author          : Gunnar Hellstrom
	Filename        : draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2018-01-03

Abstract:
    When setting up a real-time communication session, there may be a
    need to indicate preference for which media and modality (spoken,
    written or signed) to use for language communications or a need to
    indicate preference for receiving the same language content
    simultaneously in two modalities.  This document defines the
    semantics for grouping media for such purposes in the Session
    Description Protocol (SDP).  The semantics defined in this document
    are based on the SDP Grouping Framework.  Applications are for
    example negotiation the most suitable common modality or modalities
    for language communications in a real-time session.  The indications
    are specified for the sending and receiving direction separately.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hellstrom-slim-modality-grouping-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

-- 
-----------------------------------------
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
[email-masked]
+46 708 204 288