Subject: [Slim] Question about "asymmetrical language use"

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:07:17 -0800

In Section 5.1 of -22, I noted the following sentence:

" When placing an emergency call, and in any other case where the language
cannot be inferred from context, in an offer each media stream primarily
intended for human language communication SHOULD specify both (or for
asymmetrical language use, one of) the 'hlang- send' and 'hlang-recv'
attributes."

[BA] In our previous discussions, we have talked about scenarios (e.g.
speech impaired, but not hearing impaired) in which it is useful to include
both 'hlang-send' and 'hlang-recv' so as to accommodate user needs.
Wouldn't such a scenario qualify as "asymmetrical language use"?  If so,
how could the user's needs be accommodated with only one of the
'hlang-send' or 'hlang-recv' attributes?

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 15:50:45 -0800

The wording is intended to permit only one to be specified for 
asymmertical use cases, it is not intended to disallow both to be 
specified.  This could be clarified by adding "or both":

    When placing an emergency call, and in any other case where the
    language cannot be inferred from context, in an offer each media
    stream primarily intended for human language communication SHOULD
    specify both (or for asymmetrical language use, one or both of) the
    'hlang-send' and 'hlang-recv' attributes.

At 3:07 PM -0800 1/9/18, Bernard Aboba wrote:

>  " When placing an emergency call, and in any other case where 
> the language cannot be inferred from context, in an offer each 
> media stream primarily intended for human language communication 
> SHOULD specify both (or for asymmetrical language use, one of) the 
> 'hlang- send' and 'hlang-recv' attributes."
>
>  [BA] In our previous discussions, we have talked about scenarios 
> (e.g. speech impaired, but not hearing impaired) in which it is 
> useful to include both 'hlang-send' and 'hlang-recv' so as to 
> accommodate user needs.  Wouldn't such a scenario qualify as 
> "asymmetrical language use"?  If so, how could the user's needs be 
> accommodated with only one of the 'hlang-send' or 'hlang-recv' 
> attributes?
>
>
>
>  _______________________________________________
>  SLIM mailing list
>  [email-masked]
>  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/slim

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates,
and the glare that obscures.            --James Thurber

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:29:05 -0800

That would help, thanks,

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 3:50 PM, Randall Gellens <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> The wording is intended to permit only one to be specified for asymmertical use cases, it is not intended to disallow both to be specified.  This could be clarified by adding "or both":
> 
>> " When placing an emergency call, and in any other case where the language cannot be inferred from context, in an offer each media stream primarily intended for human language communication SHOULD specify both (or for asymmetrical language use, one of) the 'hlang- send' and 'hlang-recv' attributes."
>> 
>> [BA] In our previous discussions, we have talked about scenarios (e.g. speech impaired, but not hearing impaired) in which it is useful to include both 'hlang-send' and 'hlang-recv' so as to accommodate user needs.  Wouldn't such a scenario qualify as "asymmetrical language use"?  If so, how could the user's needs be accommodated with only one of the 'hlang-send' or 'hlang-recv' attributes?
>> 
>> 
>>

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:54:12 -0800

It's in -23, which I've held off uploading, to see if any more 
comments come in.

At 4:29 PM -0800 1/9/18, Bernard Aboba wrote:

>>>  " When placing an emergency call, and in any other case where the 
>>> specify both (or for asymmetrical language use, one of) the 
>>> "asymmetrical language use"?  If so, how could the user's needs 
>>> be accommodated with only one of the 'hlang-send' or 'hlang-recv' 
>>> attributes?
>>>
>>>
>>>

-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Liberals are trusting and optimistic because
they believe other people are much like themselves.
Conservatives are hostile and fearful because they
believe the same thing.